Nocturne Series - Edinburgh

LardLover
LardLover Posts: 676
edited June 2009 in Pro race
So, turns out that our 'Gentleman's Away-Day' to Edinburgh just happens to coincide with the 1st Nocturne Series.

It wasn't planned, but what a Brucie-Bonus :D

Anyone else going?

(I'll be the one poncing my Nocturne Series T-Shirt.......if it ever arrives :roll: )

Oh, anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that'll be showing the FA Cup Final? :lol::lol::lol:

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    LardLover wrote:
    So, turns out that our 'Gentleman's Away-Day' to Edinburgh just happens to coincide with the 1st Nocturne Series.

It wasn't planned, but what a Brucie-Bonus :D

Anyone else going?

(I'll be the one poncing my Nocturne Series T-Shirt.......if it ever arrives :roll: )

Oh, anyone know anywhere in Edinburgh that'll be showing the FA Cup Final? :lol::lol::lol:

Given that Rangers are in the Scottish cup final on the same day you'll be lucky , maybe your best bet is to try a pub like Sportsters in Market Street sometimes there are several TVs showing different sporting events.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I'll be there. Really looking forward to it and the weather forecast is looking great too. :D

I've known a number of Edinburgh pubs to show two games at a time if they've got enough TVs, so you should be able to find somewhere. Failing Sportsters, you could try some of the pubs in Broughton Street - Cask & Barrel or the Phoenix perhaps?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Sportsters will show it. Should be quite funny to see the difference in quality between the two games.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • moray_gub
    dulldave wrote:
    Sportsters will show it. Should be quite funny to see the difference in quality between the two games.

Yep should be a cracker for the oldest national trophy in world football :-)
  • LardLover
    Cheers guys, will look out for Sportsters. Was kind of asking tongue-in-cheek, didn't really expect a Scottish pub to show an English game.

But, now I have this doubt that Sportsters is a loyalist bar and having 8 English lads (even if we do come from the correct side of Hadrians Wall) asking if the England game is on will only do us no good whatsoever :shock: :shock:

Weather's looking good, should be a great day. football for the non cyclists and cycling for the rest of us. Oh, and some alcohol to boot. Can't be bad.
  • moray_gub
    LardLover wrote:
    Cheers guys, will look out for Sportsters. Was kind of asking tongue-in-cheek, didn't really expect a Scottish pub to show an English game.

But, now I have this doubt that Sportsters is a loyalist bar and having 8 English lads (even if we do come from the correct side of Hadrians Wall) asking if the England game is on will only do us no good whatsoever :shock: :shock:

Weather's looking good, should be a great day. football for the non cyclists and cycling for the rest of us. Oh, and some alcohol to boot. Can't be bad.

Relax its Edinburgh you're goin to , these days every 2nd punter in the pub will list Morris dancing as their hobby. :D
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    LardLover wrote:

Why? they show football from all over Europe.

But anyway baout this cycle race - yeah we are planning on heading along.

It's also the IRB Rugby 7's at murryfeild that weekend.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

I'll be racing the support race - blue and white checked Falkirk BC strip riding a blue/white Ridley - Give me a shout!

Cheers, Andy
  • andrewgturnbull
    ps First race is now starting at 6pm
  • LardLover
    Hey Andrew

I'll keep my eye out for you. If notice someone poncing about in their Nocturne Series T-Shirt it could be me :oops:

Good luck fella :D
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Wow. Just seen David Millar win the Elite race. First time I've seen a top pro in the flesh. So smooth and so fast it is unbelievable. He didn't even look like he was hurting at all and the others were busting thier b*lls just trying to keep in touch
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Hi there.

I'll be racing the support race - blue and white checked Falkirk BC strip riding a blue/white Ridley - Give me a shout!

Cheers, Andy

Andy

Not sure what race you were in, but I have a photo of someone in that strip from the Cat 2/3 race....

Really good afternoon/evening & Millar really tore the legs off the elite racers, but then he should have! & some interesting tactics by Christian Meyer in the last few laps.
  • Baytt
    Baytt Posts: 102
  • andrewgturnbull
    jimycooper wrote:
    20090530_EDINBURGH_NOCTURNE_29.JPG

andy, did you win!?!?!

2nd (4th cat suport race) That's me on the left!

I was off the front for the entire race in a two-man break with the the Sandy Wallace rider in the background - I sat on a wee bit to let my team mate get across to us with about 3 or 4 laps to go -- then he beat me in the sprint! (the 4th rider far right of the picture is a lap down).

Very exciting night - racing and watching - I'm still buzzing.

Cheers, Andy
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    unlucky andy, but well done for your 2nd.
  • Philip S
    Hard luck Andy. What was the story with the confusion at the end? Hugh Porter was trying to get your team mate to pull out for the last few laps, thinking he had been lapped.
  • drumon
    drumon Posts: 175
    The racing was great!

First race I've been to watch, and we really enjoyed the show.

Cat 2 was quick and some real guts on display.

Elite Race was cracking too, great to watch Millar push on with is team mate Cameron Meyer, they really were smooth as said above, first time I've seen riders of that calibre, really inspiring to watch.

Thought the location was great, with such a unique backdrop of the Grassmarket and Victoira Street cobbles it was a great event.

...and the Folding bike race was cracking!

hope this event comes back to Edinburgh, and that the powers that be encourage other cycle races to the town also. The audience is there, and the location is excellent for exciting racing.
  • gavinrae
    gavinrae Posts: 9
    good nights free entertainment even the missus enjoyed it was that for male shaven legs? good to see millar up close but streets ahead of every body else which was a pity.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    You rode well. I like your aggression and cat and mouse cycling with the Sandy Wallace rider - shame you got pipped on the line. It was an excellent night and to witness the increasing speeds through the Cat 4 and then Cat 2/3 and then the Elite race was excellent. Millar's performance was simply outstanding and an excellent demonstration of the level of fitness needed for a UCI team rider. The other riders , although fast, were nowhere near him. I felt sorry for Alex Coutts, he is from Edinburgh and was an Edinburgh RC man, he was doing well in the main peloton when his pedal pulled out the crank on his bike just as started the climb on Victoria St. I chatted to him at the end, when he climbed over the barrier. He was understandably a little bit annoyed, but sanguine - nice guy. I first met him about 18 months ago and he came on one of the club runs on a MTB complete with 2 panniers.
  • LardLover
    What a fantastic day, the racing was excellent, a couple of us even left our work colleagues in the bar whilst we watched.

Sorry I missed your race though Andy :oops: we were in the 3 Sisters (?) pub further along from the Grass Market at that time (having to watch the football) :(

We really enjoyed watching the Elite race, and as said already David Millar didn't look like he was breaking a sweat, and looked really smooth on the cobbles :shock: (even his bike was smooth, I couldn't hear any rattles or anything :( )
  • 8can
    8can Posts: 34
    Dave Miller said on the british cycling website that he averages 416W!!! I agree he looked like he wasnt trying, but to produce that sort of figure for an hour he must have been pretty much flat out. Just goes to show how smooth he is.

I road the second support race at about 8pm and the noise going up victoria st was something i wont forget quickly, makes a pleasant change from racing in the middle of nowhere!
  • Philip S
    Yeah, it was a fantastic day - really hope the Nocturne comes back next year.
    The step up in standard as the racing went on was a real eye opener. When the elite guys came on, the speed was something else. Even the warm up was a blur. The way they went up Victoria Street's cobbles was jaw dropping. I'd cycled up there during the day and I can still feel it in my knees. I can't begin to imagine what 30-odd laps at full pelt would feel like.
  • The moment the gap was bridged (and I turned to the guy next to me and reckoned he was going to win cos he looked strong bridging it!)

3579230549_03910e335a.jpg

I was a little less serious in the folding race on a borrowed Birdy (taken by a friend)

3580049748_86e8ae8118.jpg

And I got the Cat 4 finish from almost exactly the same angle...

3580044328_f284a53b40.jpg

Loads more here
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Was a quality race night and good one Andy.

Funny comment I heard was 2 elites pre-riding the course, didn't hear what the first rider said but the response was "yeah, but its got a great atmosphere".

Also amusing to note all the Rugby 7s players coming back to their hotel and stopping to watch for a while.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    blackpuddinonnabike

Great pics - makes edinburgh look quite happening
  • zoom gordo
    zoom gordo Posts: 78
    Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.
  • Philip S
    Great photos Zoom Gordo - certainly superior to my poorly timed, point and click then watch riders sailing past while waiting for the flash to go off efforts. You must have done some running around during the elite race!
  • zoom gordo
    zoom gordo Posts: 78
    Thanks! :lol: At least one shot involved about 10mins of lying on my back with the lens poking between the barriers, trying to get a silhouette of a rider against the sun with the castle in the background. All I ended up with was a sore elbow.
    Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.