Off topic - a running race organized by a bike commuter

Jen J
Jen J Posts: 1,054
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Look what I did last night :D

My first internetty thing.

http://www.southdownswayrace.org

Not expecting to be inundated with entries from people here, but if anyone wants to help out on the day with marshalling and checkpoints etc, let me know.
Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
Madone

It's all about me...

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    102 miles running! :shock: what are the rules on hiding bikes in the bushes around the first corner...?

Should you maybe have a bit for support teams? My wee sis did the Caledonian Challenge and some friends met up with them at the checkpoints with food, socks etc.. Or does the 50 entrants mean it will just elite (lunatic) runners?

8)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    tardie wrote:
    102 miles running! :shock: what are the rules on hiding bikes in the bushes around the first corner...?

8)

I was expecting a 10k not the Marathon des Sables!!!! :shock: I barely managed 63 miles on a flippin' bike on Monday.

Jen - there is a lunatic in my office who likes this sort of thing. I'll send him the link and will repeatedly call him a "big screaming jessy" until he enters. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    This looks brilliant!*

*for people who are completely mental, obviously

Jen, that second pic on the site looks like you're popping behind some bushes for a natural break :)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    tardie wrote:

Should you maybe have a bit for support teams? My wee sis did the Caledonian Challenge and some friends met up with them at the checkpoints with food, socks etc.. Or does the 50 entrants mean it will just elite (lunatic) runners?

8)

I've cycled it and believe me it's not the easy option, it nearly killed me and I only did 60 miles finishing at the Ditchling Beacon. I was on a big bouncy 40lb DH MTB though, talk about making hard for yourself :roll:

Chapeau to anyone who even considers that sort of thing
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Tell me sane people don't run 100+ miles for fun :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • You're mad. :shock:

A decent time for a marathon is about 4 hours, so would I be right in saying that a good time for this would be anything under 16hrs???!!!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    How do you keep yourself from getting bored and nipping into the nearest pub? or is that just me?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think you're entirely justified in nipping into the nearest pub - it's probably encouraged!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Jen J - you are one crazy.................... :shock: :shock: :shock: but I have to salute you :lol::lol:
  • Jen J
    You're mad. :shock:

A decent time for a marathon is about 4 hours, so would I be right in saying that a good time for this would be anything under 16hrs???!!!!

I'm not expecting the winner to finish until about 16.30 - 17.00 hours. As well as the drop in pace over the distance, you need to factor in a slowdown during the dark and for it being mostly up and down hills... :twisted:

My marathon PB is 4.07, and I'd be thrilled finishing with anything close to 27 hours.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    D'ya know what Jen, I might just enter your race. I did the West Highland Way a few years ago in a shade under 20 hours, not as part of the race but off my own back (all the helper/running buddies requirements put me off the proper event), and I was all set for an attempt at the Bob Graham last year but illness put a stop to that. I'm not at all familiar with the South Downs, but it's always good to run the first edition of an event. I was toying with the idea of doing the Grand Union Canal Race, but think 145 miles of towpath would just be too boring!
  • Jen J
    nasahapley wrote:
    D'ya know what Jen, I might just enter your race. I did the West Highland Way a few years ago in a shade under 20 hours, not as part of the race but off my own back (all the helper/running buddies requirements put me off the proper event), and I was all set for an attempt at the Bob Graham last year but illness put a stop to that. I'm not at all familiar with the South Downs, but it's always good to run the first edition of an event. I was toying with the idea of doing the Grand Union Canal Race, but think 145 miles of towpath would just be too boring!

Wow. I'm doing the WHW Race this year (in three weeks time :shock:) but I'll be trying to get under 30 hours, not 20. And I'm grudgingly going along with the support crew requirements, though I'd rather go it alone.

I know what you mean about GUCR - I was getting updates about it from friends running in it last weekend, but I have no intention of ever running in it myself.

See you next year then... :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    nasahapley wrote:
    I was all set for an attempt at the Bob Graham last year but illness put a stop to that.

:shock: You must have the lungs of a moose.

http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    The WHW race is barely 95 mile. LOSERS.

We saw people doing it when we were doing a quick up-and-down from the foot of Loch Lomond to Bein Ghlas campsite and back - some looked fresh as a daisy, some had the 1,000 yard stare and some looked like they were going to try and eat us. :shock: Some of the ladies were... 'scenery additive' 8) but most were those wirey oldsters who will never die.

I think most of them had support teams, even if it was just a friend in a car. Certainly on the Cal Chal the support stops were all mapped out with parking and stuff...