Lots of questions!

dickie762
dickie762 Posts: 14
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys :D

I posted here a while back about getting a new bike, but unfortunately a lot of things have got in the way so I still havn't bought anything yet!

I was originally after a hardtail like a Marin Rocky Ridge, but after going to the nearest decent trail to me (Sherwood Pines) I realised that I'd probably be better off with a full susser.

I've been looking at a kona stinky, but a lot of the reviews suggest it's not so good for climbs so I've started looking at the kona coiler which seems to be just what I'm after. Has anyone on here got one? I've noticed they go for around £450ish on the bay, ideally I'd buy off here or another bike forum though. I'd be looking to spend around £450, purely because it'll take me longer to save more than that and also if I fall off I won't have to worry so much about trashing a new expensive bike! Also my previous bike was stolen, so at the moment all I've got is a raleigh max y-frame, which wasnt exactly the easiest of bikes to ride at pines!

I want something that has a fair amount of travel so it can tackle bigger jumps etc, but also something that would be easy to ride on twisty sections and uphill. I can't find many alternatives other than the norco two, but these don't seem to pop up second hand often/at all. Not sure if any other brands have similar offerings? I'd be looking to buy in a few weeks time, around the start of July.

I'm also looking to buy a helmet and like the look of the 08 fox transition:

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_optio ... &store=mtb

Is this a good helmet or are there other ones that I should consider?

At the moment I just put the bikes in the back of my car (clio, doesnt have any back seats) and they just about fit in with the front wheel removed, but I've been looking at getting a large mat to cover the floor and the back of the seats etc like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WATERPROOF-CA ... 7C294%3A50

But looking at the dimensions in that ad it's not actually that big, and neither is the larger version. At the moment I'm just using some tarpaulin, which does the job I guess. The only other option was a thule indoor holder like this:

24116.jpg

But I can't see how it fits into the car to see if it'll work with my car. Has anyone got one of these?

Apologies about all the questions, but after going to pines I'm buzzing and can't wait to get riding more!! :lol: Any help/advice would be greately appreciated!

Comments

• dickie762
    dickie762 Posts: 14
    Anyone? After a re-think I'm possibly back on the hardcore hardtail idea now lol, possibly something like an orange crush or saracen zen?
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Nowt wrong with a hardtail as a first bike after a break. I've been riding a hardtail for years.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04