Red light jumper makes us a laughing stock

wreckedmyklein
wreckedmyklein Posts: 62
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
First time post. I knew it would be an idiot who would get me to post.

Cycling home tonight, I finally got the timing right to arrive at the Toucan crossing as it went green for me. I was looking forward to getting straingt across as I knew it wold then be green lights all the way to the ring road. Leeds seems to work like that.

As I approached, I saw a guy on a fixed, working his way up the road to the lights. As I got to the crossing, I realised he wasn't going to stop. I shouted and braked, but he still did nothing and I had to turn across the pedestrians as he hit me. Not hard, but enough to do creat a gouge 1mm deep in my forks. All I got was "sorry mate, you OK?" as he cycled off. Not happy, and plenty of comments about bad cycling and red light jumping were made in my direction, despite having done nothing wrong.

Oh how they laughed seeing 2 bikes collide because of jumping lights. Hopefully my "friend" will have learned his lesson and will check properly for bikes as well as pedestrians next time before flying through. I wear a hi-viz jacket to save me from cars - I never thought a bike would be my next accident.
Over 50mph on Malaucene descent

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Plenty of poeple do stupid things, usually we complain about peds and motorists, given the proportion of the population who are just plain stupid why would some not end up on bikes?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    Were in Leeds was it? There is someone who does something similar travelling from Headingly - Meanwood
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What an ars*. But welcome to the forums!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ADMIN// It might not be wise using your email address as your username - mail me if you want it changed. //ADMIN
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I've lost count of the amount of time I've had to take evasive action due to red light jumpers, people running up and down kerbs etc.

Two of the worst are on my way home through Bexleyheath, they're obviously out for a training ride as I see them at the same time, on the same day most weeks. They never stop, and if neccesary are straight up on the pavement, accross the ped crossing and then back onto the road, usualy straight in front of me :evil: :evil: :roll: as I pull away from the lights. It doesn't save them any time and just pisses off the surrounding peds and motorists, and gives us all a bad name :evil: :evil: :evil:

As Cuckcork says, there are idiots everywhere and the law of averages says some of them will end up on bikes
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Rich158 wrote:
    As Cuckcork says, there are idiots everywhere and the law of averages says most of them will end up on fixies

erm fixed :wink:

what a tit. glad you're OK but don't expect him to have learned a lesson if he didn't even stop to make sure you were OK.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • DrWorm
    DrWorm Posts: 66
    I find a volley of abuse at red light jumpers always cheers me up.

I give the same to pavement riders too when I'm walking places.

No need for either.
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Welcome to the forum! I have to say, as much as I detest RLJers, I always get a nice warm glow when I'm in central London and see how the majority don't RLJ. That said, one is too many (IMHO)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Welcome. Having had a very similar experience to you but in Cambridge, I will now take out any RLJing cyclists that come near me or pavement cyclists if I'm a pedestrian. I'm sick of them putting me and others in danger and giving law abiding cyclists a bad name. So be warned if you are one of these cycllists :twisted:.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    dilemna wrote:
    Welcome. Having had a very similar experience to you but in Cambridge, I will now take out any RLJing cyclists that come near me or pavement cyclists if I'm a pedestrian. I'm sick of them putting me and others in danger and giving law abiding cyclists a bad name. So be warned if you are one of these cycllists :twisted:.

I've been tempted to give their front wheel a little tap with my boot. :oops: I dont, obviously as even a small fall could do someone in.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    DrWorm wrote:
    I give the same to pavement riders too when I'm walking places.

Grrr, pet hate right here. I'm commuting to work by bus right now due to fractured arm so I have to walk 15 minutes from the bus to work. There are always at least 2 or 3 pavement riders on that little stretch alone.The worst part being that on that stretch of road there is actually a cycle lane. The mind boggles.
  • RLJ'ing seems to be on the increase in Leeds. I came across one yesterday that seems mortally offended every time I overtook him about 100 yards after each set of lights he had jumped.

he had obviously spent a fair few quid on his bike so you would hope that he had more sense as a cyclist, but since when did having a bit more money make you less likely to be a knob?
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    M.Cole wrote:
    ADMIN// It might not be wise using your email address as your username - mail me if you want it changed. //ADMIN

Lmfao
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    dilemna wrote:

I'm well up for a fight. :lol:

Send me a picture of yourself. I'll make sure that when I see you I'll jump a light i'd otherwise stop for or mount the pavement. :twisted:

Just look out for a guy who cycles faster than you, especially down Huntingdon Road. :wink: 8)
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.