why do things scream buy me???

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited June 2009 in MTB general
went to the bike shop today to buy one of those little computers and a white saddle screamed "buy me.!" I knew I wasn't leaving the shop without it and thus handed over my hard earned cash.

On the plus side, my bike is now colour co-ordinated!
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    It's called 'The Law'. Yours is a perfectly normal moment.

p.s. You shouldn't be telling people this. It's classified information.
    p.p.s. The Law spoke to me last weekend. I now have a new set of wheels, turbo trainer and tri bars for my bike.
    p.p.p.s. It happens. Get over it.
    p.p.p.p.s. It happens less if you never go online, near a bike shop, or listen to anyone else talk about their bike. You've been warned.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i know exactly how you feel,

i dont need anything however on payday (im being sensible and waiting 2 days just incase i decide to go on a gin binge at some point this week) i am probably going to buy a new white saddle, some new white bar tape for the roadie and even though i dont know the next timei am going to ride it i am gonna buy a new thomson stem for my enduro.

it makes me happy. ooh, i want some new wheels for the roadie too, and some sunline bars for the enduro.

it makes me very happy.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    sheepsteeth, you'll appriciate the Thomson stem - a lovely peice of engineering so it is! Have one on my winter SS.

People (us...) buy the shiny things, because the little voices and the devil on your shoulder say so. I just bought (today, actually!) 4 pairs of disc pads, a 203mm rotor and relevant fixings, and an e.thirteen trans red bash ring for my 6.6. Ok, so I needed them all, but I could've gone cheaper. I didn't need a red bashring... But I've come close to performing chain-ring surgery on myself one too many times. A plastic disc doesn't bite as hard as a pointy chainring... :lol: 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    sheepsteeth, you'll appriciate the Thomson stem - a lovely peice of engineering so it is! Have one on my winter SS.

i have one on my stumpy and i know it is no better in the grand scheme of things than a cheaper alterntive but they are a nice thing and i find them reassuringly expensive.
  • Chaz.Harding
    i have one on my stumpy and i know it is no better in the grand scheme of things than a cheaper alterntive but they are a nice thing and i find them reassuringly expensive.

Well, I think your wrong mate, they're obviously stronger and lighter than the alternative. If your old (current) one fails, you could DIE!!!!

:lol::wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    haha, my current one is actually lighter as it happens but i want a gucci one so i can show off!!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Well, err.... It's definitely stronger :wink:

Nothing wrong with a bit of bling here and there (even though it's kinda anti-bling..), tiz' why I got a translucent red bash ring, instead of a clear one for half the price!! :lol: 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    i went into a bikeshop in `98 needing some vee brake pads and come out with a full suss marin!
    who cares?
  • Chaz.Harding
    k2rider, now THATS an upgrade :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    bloody expensive one at the time but i was inbetween wives at the time so i had no one to answer to! :lol:
    who cares?
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    well after a beer last night, I ordered a SRAM-PG990 red cassette (even though I didn't need it) and a new KMC gold and ti chain........ £45!!!!!! :shock:

Have fitted the new saint rear mech/shifters/XT front mech and ODI extremes

Still need to git the crank/chain/cassette.. then photos shall be provided....

Just have not had the time to fit it (poor excuse I know) :cry:
  • Chaz.Harding
    So long as we do get the photo's after you've fitted the bits!!! :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I have the same affliction.

Costly but fun 8)
  • Anonymous
    matt, matt, matt.

how times have changed...........
  • The Big Cheese
    So long as we do get the photo's after you've fitted the bits!!! :lol:

AS I am a shameless tart, pics will be up as soon as poss..... gotta buy a new lead for digi cam... no idea where other one went!!! :?
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    i was looking at getting an bmx rather instead of my old dirtjumper, went to halfords rather than a shitty bmx i got a carrera :)
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    i have the same worrying afliction! and have to say, I lOVE it! hahaha! bits on the bike need replacing for the same reasons that the wife needs countless pairs of shoes and many different bags with purses to match! think jockey wheels, crank bolts, blingy stem!

itas all about pride in showing off your latest additions hey!

Cheesy, was that £45 for both the cassette and chain?? or did yo ugo for the Gold Sl chain! (the lowly gold L can be had for about £26 on ebay)

i have the spare unused links from my gold chains on the bikes as a Bike pimp Bracelet on my left wrist baby!

Oh, cheesy, get your self a card reader matey! about a fiver from Ebuyer ( www.ebuyer.co.uk ), makes transfers a lot quicker!!:wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Anonymous
    tis easy done, i for instance just bought a new slx crankset to replace my xt on the stumpjumper, didnt even think i needed it but i wanted a more black crankset. luckily there was one on ebay finihing a few minutes ago and in decent nick.

tis a disease, the kind that makes you happy.
  • The Big Cheese
    Cheesy, was that £45 for both the cassette and chain?? or did yo ugo for the Gold Sl chain! (the lowly gold L can be had for about £26 on ebay)

No just for the chain, the lot came to £106!!

I went for the Gold and Ti one... always wanted one, but thought sod it, will match my Saint kit with little gold ano bits..... :oops:
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Hmm, today I bought the Saint cranks and BB. Could have just replaced the FSA like-for-like for £60 but the chance for an upgrade was too good to miss!
  • The Big Cheese
    MeddlE wrote:
    Hmm, today I bought the Saint cranks and BB. Could have just replaced the FSA like-for-like for £60 but the chance for an upgrade was too good to miss!

Ain't they damn bloody gorgeous (yes I know it's only a crankset but ...... :oops: )
  • Anonymous
    good looking kit is as important as good performing kit in my opinion. both matter of course but i wouldnt care how good someting was if it was rubbish looking.
  • MeddlE
    Cheesey wrote:
    MeddlE wrote:

Ain't they damn bloody gorgeous (yes I know it's only a crankset but ...... :oops: )

Got to wait for them to arrive from Merlin yet, hoping they get here in time for Thursday nights jump session.

My BB died on Monday and when I had the bike stripped I noticed that the splines in the crank arms were disintegrating!! So, the choice was just replace the BB and then wait for the crank arms to fail (potentially painfull) or just replace the whole lot. My missus said replace the lot and I couldn't argue with that logic.

Plus it matches the Saint mech/shifter that I've been using for the last 6 months.
  • Chaz.Harding
    MeddlE, how you finding the Saint shifter and mech? I've got an SRAM X7 setup currently. It's solid enough, but I just don't 'click' with it... Think I'm too used to my XT setup on my other bikes, but as it's my 'hardcore bike, seriously conisdering the Saint kit... I hope you say it's a bit rubbish so I'm not tempted to splash out on unnessecery kit... :lol:

Also, time and time again, I've told mates who get involved in MTB'ing or road biking (it's the same disease) that it IS an infectious, contageous DISEASE. They last about 2 months before they say "my brakes are a little worn, I could do with X as a replacement". Then another month they're saying "well, I could just spend a couple extra pounds to get the best...". Suddenly they're catapulted into the crazy world of trying to justify upgrading everything :lol::lol::lol:

Damn disease. But I bloody LOVES it!!!!

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Mmmm ebay just got me.

£75 for some Easton Monkeylite XC handlebars. I get numb hands and they will help.............honest!!!
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE, how you finding the Saint shifter and mech? I've got an SRAM X7 setup currently. It's solid enough, but I just don't 'click' with it... Think I'm too used to my XT setup on my other bikes, but as it's my 'hardcore bike, seriously conisdering the Saint kit... I hope you say it's a bit rubbish so I'm not tempted to splash out on unnessecery kit... :lol:

Best I've ever used by far, never been a fan of SRAM but just a personal view. Have used x.0 and x.9 and it just never felt right to me. Saint is rock solid shifting and doesn't jump rings at the back no matter what I do. I'm also now a convert to thumb shifting up and down.

Sorry. ;-)
  • Chaz.Harding
    MeddlE, you a git aint' ya?! :lol:

Just checked, and my system is X9 not X7... Thumb shifting up and down works for me too on the SRAM setup - harder to mis-shift. But you you've only confirmed what everyone else has been saying all along... Saint is the best they've ever used blah blah.... GITS!!! The lot of you!!! :lol:

Ahh well. When my rings, cassette and chain all wear out, I know what I'll be getting then... It's gotta be lighter than a RaceFace Evolve DH chainset too...! All of that to look forward to. Oh, and it looks freakin' awesome!

Off to price it up on CRC, then to the bike shop, put my 30%( :!: 8) ) discount to good use... AHHH yeah. That's no typo, 30%!!!

I'm a lucky guy!

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    I think this is enough for now. unless they do a pearl white crankset

4338_177299410087_544280087_7019881_3777331_n.jpg
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • MeddlE
    I think this is enough for now. unless they do a pearl white crankset

What, you mean like this?

hookahdh08.jpg

:twisted:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Hmmm... Just priced it up on CRC at £540 with nokon cables, cassette, chain, chainset, BB cups and F+R shifters and derailluers...

I think I could probably get the lot for around £450 from my LBS.... Hmmmmm....
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke