Does anyone wear overshorts?

antfly
antfly Posts: 3,276
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Well the summer is almost here and it is time to shed the ronhill bikesters and wear shorts.The thing is I feel a bit naked in just bibshorts so modesty dictates that I wear overshorts.At the moment I am wearing Rapha touring shorts but they are not a great fit, they slide down and they strangulate me and I don`t like wearing them.So does anyone else wear overshorts that aren`t baggy,if so what or are they or are there any bibshorts that preserve your modesty better than others that I could wear without overshorts?Or should I just bite the bullett and let it all hang out?
Smarter than the average bear.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its hanging out - theres something wrong with you or your lycras.

I dont think a bloke in lycra shocks anyone any more. You look sillier in overshorts in my eyes.
  • antfly
    Well not quite literally hanging out but I still don`t feel comfortable with everything on display in populated areas.Call me a prude but I don`t want to frighten the old ladies.
  • antfly
    So I need a helmet to cover my helmet...
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I can't find them on the website, so they may be out of production, but last autumn I bought a pair of Gore Bikewear touring shorts in a clearout sale. They are fantastic, very comfortable and practical (best designed pockets I've ever seen on shorts). I use them all the time if I'm going to have a pitstop where I want to look less bikey. In the same sale I bought a Pearl Izumi pair (called the Versa I think). Not quite so well designed, but still pretty good.
  • antfly
    Thanks for a helpful answer, I`ll get googling.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    You could take a look at the Endura singletracks, I'm not a fan of baggy,baggy shorts, but these are a nice fit, not too "flappy".
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Or should I just bite the bullett and let it all hang out?

Without being too graphic, what exactly is the problem?

If it's the Old Chap, isn't this covered by your riding position, and moving legs? Personally, I can't say I've ever given this a second thought. You never know, the old ladies may look forward to lyrca clad cyclists flashing past (pun intended). :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think antfly needs to MTFU and get out riding.

FFS even Willhub rides with just bibshorts and he's got a see through red patch on the back of his shorts....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • antfly
    It`s not the back i`m bothered about.It`s just my lunch box.Stopping at traffic lights and when i`m off the bike,even when i`m cycling i`m self-concious about it and I know people are looking,I see them.I don`t mind if it`s fit young women, it`s just everyone else.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Don't kid yourself that everyone is eyeing up your lunchbox........... unless you're packing something really impressive :lol:

Cyclists in lycra are a pretty common sight these days so just get out there and stop worrying about it.
  • cougie
    FFS man - pull yourself together. 50% of the population have willies. Its not biggie. :shock:

Black is always best for hiding things though.
  • antfly
    Well I don`t like to blow my trumpet... ...
    I thought more people would share my concerns,apparently not,perhaps that`s why decent overshorts are hard to get.I don`t know if I could walk in to a cafe without them though,that`s just the way I am.
  • cougie
    Maybe this is of use to you then ? To protect Sirs Honour ?

http://mysticalfairies.co.uk/product.php/16/frilly_lily_tutu_set
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I walk into my office in full lycra, it's all good 8)

Don't be shy, any baggy material just gives more chance for chafing to occur, thats why I lost the baggies and it's much better.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • antfly
    I think mr cougie is taking the piss.
    I ordered the tutu anyway.
  • cougie
    :D
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Stay away from white bib shorts then. My girlfriend says it looks like a sausage & 2 bolied eggs wrapped in a hankie! :shock: :oops:
  • antfly
    That`s not a good look.I`ll stick with black.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Stay away from white bib shorts then. My girlfriend says it looks like a cocktail sausage & 2 bolied eggs wrapped in a hankie! :shock: :oops:

Fixed that for me :oops: :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The pad in Assos shorts extends over your privates at the front. I'm not sure if any other makes do this. At least then they are not see-through, even with cheap or old black shorts see-through can occur. Most women find cycling shorts very attractive, depending on the wearer of course, its the heckling you get from men that's the problem. Where my wife used to work it was one of the day's highlights for all the women when the cycle couriers came in to the office.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • jon208
    jon208 Posts: 335
    ....waiting for the inevitable post of the picture of the Polish budgie smuggling team :shock:
  • antfly
    I just bought a pair of Assos because they looked as if they had more frontal coverage but when I put them on I was a little disappointed.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I wera a pair of Nike shorts over my lycra ones, mainly for the sake of my work-mates. The shorts i usually wear are red and we've all seen the piccies of those poor Polish fellas :oops:

The Nike ones are quite small so don't get in the way at all :)
  • Toptube531
    Toptube531 Posts: 13
    I use Lusso bibs.Nice,comfy pad that extends well up the front of the to give your bits decent coverage.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    antfly wrote:
    I just bought a pair of Assos because they looked as if they had more frontal coverage but when I put them on I was a little disappointed.

Is this just a post to tell everybody you are hung like a horse? (or not)
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I'm currently wearing shorts over longs due to a new (budget) Selle Italia saddle. Buy cheap, wear a thousand pairs of shorts :lol:
  • blongers
    blongers Posts: 19
    antfly wrote:

Is this just a post to tell everybody you are hung like a horse? (or not)

i think you have hit the nail on the head...
  • antfly
    If I said lack of bulge wasn`t the problem I would probably be accused of claiming to be hung like a donkey :lol: :oops: so no comment.

Thanks for all the suggestions,at least the sensible ones.
  • DanEvs
    DanEvs Posts: 640
    Are you honestly concerned about this!?!? :shock:

Man you need to pull yourself together, who gives a fcuk what all the random passers by think anyway. :roll: No one's looking at you gear pal, imagine being a chick and having blokes constantly ogling your tits, by the sounds of it you'd never leave the house.
  • antfly
    I`m not sure most women like to have their tits ogled either and they don`t wear skin tight tops but if I had a pair I wouldn`t need to leave the house :shock:
    I am going to MTFU and go sans overshorts next time even if I feel indecently exposed.