Bagneres de Luchon

grahamcp
grahamcp Posts: 323
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm off to Luchon for a week in june and starting to get very excited :-)

I have stayed in Argeles Gazost before so there will be a small amount of overlap (Tourmalet, Aspin) but just looking for advice and suggestions re other day rides and cols to explore from Luchon.

Also - are the any bike shops in Luchon?

Cheers, G.

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Do you have a map of the area? IGN (the French equivalent of OS) make a great series of maps called "carte de promenade" which are great for cycling. You can buy them online form mapkiosk.co.uk amongst others.

I would suggest doing the Port de Bales (beautiful) and the Peyresourde (less so, but a regular feature in le tour).

Simon
  • grahamcp
    Thanks for the link Simon - think I'll grab one of those. I don't see any "carte de promenade" however - which range would you suggest in particular - Rando Pyrenees or IGN Top 25?

Cheers, Graham.
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    As Simon says, get this:

Institute Geographique National
    Carte de Promenade
    No. 70 - Pau Bagneres-de-Luchon

Covers the area you'll need and more in good detail.
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    Oh and a suggestion for a great big day out:

Over the Peyresourde and down to Loudonvielle.
    Up the Col d'Azet and down into the Valee d'Aure.
    Up the Hourquette d'Anzican and down to Espiadet.
    Back home (Bagneres) over the Aspin and Peyresourde.
    Enjoy!
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    They say "carte de promenade" on the front. They are also referred to as "top 100" - the one mentioned above is the one I was thinking of although it seems to have vanished from the site I recommended.

Simon
  • grahamcp
    Top info, thanks.

Do you think the Top 25 (scale 1:25,000) would be overkill? There is one based around Luchon, I'm just not sure what kind of radius it covers.

Edit: Just answered my own question... Top 100 it is :-)

Ta.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'd recommend not riding the Aspin from St Marie de Campan but turning off to the right near the bottom and going over the Hourquotte d'something (my map's not to hand and I can't remember the name exactly) It's a stunning quiet ride that parallels the Aspin. You can then return over the Aspin.

We did it last year in memory of riding it way back in 1986 and we were glad we did.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Other great climbs accessible from Luchon itself (or within a few miles) include the Portillon (takes you up to the Spanish border), the Hospice de France (side road off the climb to Superbagneres - last 3kms are all 10%+; max 18%) and the Col de Mente ( head 15km north to St Beat and it starts from there). Once you're over the Mente, you may as well ride the Portet d'Aspet as well.
    As mentioned by others, the Hourquette is much more impressive than the Aspin (but never gets into the Tour so hardly anyone rides it). Port de Bales is a cracker, but if you climb from the Luchon side intending to descend to Mauleon, be aware that quite a lot of the descent is currently covered in loads of post-winter debris.
    Over the Peyresourde, you've got Pla d'Adet (out of St Lary Soulan) and the ski station at Piau-Engaly in addition to the ones mentioned in other posts.
    Most bike-friendly cafe in Luchon (my opinion only!) is Cafe de la Paix on the main drag. Owner rides a bit and he's very proud of his maillot jaune and polka-dot jersey above the bar.
    Have a great week.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    As a Luchon local I can say that most of the posts have covered the main climbs, however a couple of other pointers would be to take on the Port du Bales which was the HC introduced into the tour the year before last, its hard but the ride and views will be fantastic.

Re Hospice du France. There is a brand new surface from just after the split for Superbagneres.

If you want to do a 100k loop in a day with a good climb there is a route that heads out of Luchon down the valley and ends up coming back over the Peyresourde.

Re Cycle shops, we have two. One is open most of the time and has a good selection, the other is hit and miss however Gerard the owner is a great guy and a fantastic technician.

Have you sorted your accommodation out - if so do you mind me asking where?
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Superbagneres is a nice little peak to do as a warm up at the start of the week or as a afternoon spin and has great views and plenty of scope for a coffee at the top.

Luchon is a nice town so I'm sure you'll have a good week. Liberty Cycles is the good bike shop in town and one of their jerseys is an excellent souvenir.
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    [Luchon is a nice town so I'm sure you'll have a good week. Liberty Cycles is the good bike shop in town and one of their jerseys is an excellent souvenir]
    I second that, while there (Liberty cycles) ask to see his photos of when the tour comes to town. The best who's who of the great and the good.
    Peter