BC Cat. System

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
right.........

ive finally got enough points to move up to a cat 3, but what happens now?

do i have to apply for a new licence? or do they send me one?

am i classed as a cat 3 now? so do i put that on my entry form!!??

im a bit confuzzled!!! :?

thanks!
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• You will get a new license in the post automatically. Give it a week or so.
  • steve23
    sorted! thankyou for the info!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Also your points will reset to zero on the new licence unless you have scored over ten and you will keep the 'odd'. (ie if you had 9, came 5th and got another 5 giving you 14. You would recieve a cat 3 licence and hold 4 upgrade points)
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    So when the new licence appears in the post, can you immediately start racing in Cat 3 races?

Is it possible to move up a few cats in a year then, if you're good enough?

I was told that you move up at the end of every season, (similar to the football leagues)...?
  • brownbosh
    Promotion is immediate although you could continue to race cat 4 opn your old licence until the new one arrives. This only takes about 7-10 days. You can go from 4 to elite if you can score enough points in each cat. Ie 10 in fourth, 40 in 3rd etc. So to go from 4th to second in one season you will need 50 points.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    You won't get any additional points if you continue to ride cat 4 though, whilst waiting for your new licence.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Bhima wrote:
    A guy in our club went from 4th to Elite in one season when he started racing again after a few years layoff - very talented guy and he could train harder than anyone else I've ever met.
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Steve,

Well done to you !!!

How things going ??

Cheers

Martin
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Bronzie wrote:
    Bhima wrote:
    A guy in our club went from 4th to Elite in one season when he started racing again after a few years layoff - very talented guy and he could train harder than anyone else I've ever met.

Then you get lads who gets smashed in at elite level, nail time trials for 2 years, go back to 4th and start over because they like being the best at 4th cat races.

:roll:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    How do you become a 4th cat racer again? Since surely once you get your 3rd Cat, you're at least a 3rd cat for ever more?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Bhima
    Yeah, I didn't think you could go back down to Cat 4...?
  • shockedsoshocked
    Bhima wrote:

Yeh you can, which is stupid. Every year you drop 2 categories.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Bhima wrote:

How?

From BC site:
    3rd Category

Any junior or senior licence holder who has gained at least 10 but less than 40 points whilst holding a 4th category licence. Note: Riders are never downgraded to 4th category once a 3rd category licence has been achieved.

Seems quite clear to me. I also know 3rd cats who earnt no points last year - or at least said they didn't...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Bhima wrote:

That would be incredibly wrong and inaccurate.
  • steve23
    apriliarider

hi mate!!! yea im good thanks! you???

i had my phone stolen ages ago, and lost all of my numbers, thats why i was never in touch since!!!

hope things are well...........???
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Hi Steve,

PM me your new number

Cheers

Martin
  • shockedsoshocked
    Pokerface wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

That would be incredibly wrong and inaccurate.

Well I apologise if that's the case. Possible crossed wires somewhere. The lad in question had formerly been an elite and has dropped to 3rd for certain in 2 years (although I was told off his team mate he was 4th). Unless perhaps he simply didn't renew his license in those 2 years, would it revert to 4th if you re-applied?

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Bronzie
    Unless perhaps he simply didn't renew his license in those 2 years, would it revert to 4th if you re-applied?
    That is the loophole I think - don't renew your BC membership for a couple of season's and re-join as a new member. If membership services are on the ball, they should see same name, DOB, address and link back to the old BC membership number, but it can and does get overlooked.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I can see it happening - but in truth anyone who can make elite should be straight up to third in their first race so it's not much of a problem. I'm sure if an elite wanted to go straight back in at a higher level and asked BC then they'd accommodate them - didn't Malcolm Elliott go straight back in at first or elite when he came back ? I even know some young riders who have ended up a few points short but asked to move up a cat for next season and BC have done it for them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    I can see it happening - but in truth anyone who can make elite should be straight up to third in their first race so it's not much of a problem. I'm sure if an elite wanted to go straight back in at a higher level and asked BC then they'd accommodate them - didn't Malcolm Elliott go straight back in at first or elite when he came back ? I even know some young riders who have ended up a few points short but asked to move up a cat for next season and BC have done it for them.

BC give dispensation on a case-by-case basis. They will move you up if there's a good reason to.

You start a new racing season in the same category at what you finished the previous year in. If you don't get enough points during that year - you move down one level the following year. Only ONE level though.

Don't renew you licence for a few years and you can drop all the way back down.
  • Bhima
    Imagine if Lance Armstrong had to do all those amateur races before his comeback!

"Ok, i've decided to ride the Tour de France this year, and i'm going to have a go at the Giro"

....."Nah, sorry mate, you're a cat 4 now" :lol:
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Quick question - is there a separate points system for cross racing?

On my membership details on the BC website it shows that I somehow managed to pick up some points in a cross race on 4th January this year - but the points don't appear in my 2009 total.

So, does the cross season count as 2008 even though it was into the new year, or do those points get counted separately like they do for mountain biking?

Answers on a postcard.

Cheers, Andy
  • brownbosh
    It dont count lad
  • Bronzie
    Cyclo-cross points system is completely separate to the Road/Track points system
  • Mr ?
    Mr ? Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Do the points earned as a category 4 rider roll over to the next season.

Thanks in advance
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Don't think so - not unless it's changed since I was a 4th - they don't in other categories anyway.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Mr ? wrote:
    Hi all,

Do the points earned as a category 4 rider roll over to the next season.

Thanks in advance

No.