My new steed

fourcrossjohn
fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
edited May 2009 in Your mountain bikes
After many weeks i have finaly bought my new bike it is a ....... ........
Am looking forward to christening her tomorow. just cant wait till i can hit the trails and mowe down some ramblers and huck over some badgers .here is a sneak pic of the bike . i will post pre and post ride pis and a ride report tommorow.

image162x.jpg

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Hmmm :?

Looks like a carrera banshee x to me.... :wink:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • fourcrossjohn
    you read my post earlier this month didnt you?
  • Whytepeak
    I read all posts :shock:

Nice bike - hope you have a good first ride, and those marzocchis don't give you no greif.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    hope u got a decent set of zocchi 55`s not been hearing much love for them recently.
    who cares?
  • fourcrossjohn
    tweaking them earlier and the change is so minute :(

first pair of through axles so i shall hopefully get a good ride
  • fourcrossjohn
    i cant understand what the fuss is about the 55's they were amazing!

The general set up tok a while to get used to, i spent roughly half an hour setting up the cockpit this morning and sorting the rebound on the forks and rear shock. Getting started it was a bit heavy on road but as i proggressed it seemed more willing to move.

On the singletrack uphill it moved amazingly although in some places it machine gunned a tad :oops: probably my error

The descent was amazing, it flowed so good and over the drops and rocky routes soaked up all i could throw at it.

I csnt remeber a time when i went out purley for a ride without the need to go anywhere, i have now found my excuse. This has re ignited my fire.

The obligatory kitchen pic :lol:
    image163d.jpg

Check out her curves
    my.php?image=image164c.jpg]image164c.jpg

the buiness end :wink:
    [imghttp://img200.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image166v.jpg][img=http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9855/image166v.jpg
  • i cant understand what the fuss is about the 55's they were amazing!
    They tend to break after a few rides :wink:

That was the only downside. Good forks, but crap reliability. Hope you have a good set :)
  • fourcrossjohn
    my first decent bike my giant stp2 had suntour xcm's.

so my firlst decet bike is a full sus

i'll get the pics up and running :lol:
  • fourcrossjohn
    the pictures dont seem to want to appear today so here is a pic of the gallery

http://img38.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=image163i.jpg
  • Whytepeak
    edited May 2009
    image163i.jpg
    w640.png

image165y.jpg
    w640.png

image166.jpg
    w640.png

image168y.jpg
    w480.png

There you go :D
  • fourcrossjohn
    cheers whytepeak!
  • fourcrossjohn
    cheers guys

what do you's think?
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    whytepeak, you beat me to it you bugger! Just posted it up, then seen yours! :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Whytepeak
    He He, I win this round :lol:

fourcrossjohn
    Money in all the right places.

like the wheels and the frame.

How is that (Suntour Epicon ?) shock?
  • fourcrossjohn
    the damping and rebound is realy good to adjust, it locks out great so i just wham it down then lock it for abit of a more urban frame.

it handles all the bumps amazingly, if i did wat i did today on my stp2 my arms would be gone and my balls woulda taken another 16 years to drop
  • fourcrossjohn
    just did abit of urban riding yesterday, missjudged a contrete lip drop to grass verge and took a chunk out the left crank arm :evil: :x :shock: :(
  • Chaz.Harding
    Well, now the first battle scar is out the way and done with, you can start riding properly :lol::wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • fourcrossjohn
    i was so pissed when it happened! :twisted:
  • Whytepeak
    Wait till you get cable rub... :evil:
  • fourcrossjohn
    cadle rub i can deal with as i a few decent stickers on the top of the frame will look nice :D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Looks a nice machine. Never really looked at Carrera cos of the 'Halfrauds' connection. I guess I could be wrong!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • fourcrossjohn
    it depends on the store to be frank, i used to go to cadets with the guy who did my bike and i checked it over in store and all i did when i got home was adjusted the cockpit and forks and shock

a grade a service from my halfords
  • Chaz.Harding
    a grade a service from my halfords

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously, there's good and bad ones. I have only ever experienced the bad ones. And there must be more bad than good... Looks like you got lucky!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the bike set you back?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • fourcrossjohn
    700, i sold my giant stp2 for 250 a month before hand so this months wages paid the rest :lol:
  • Chaz.Harding
    Wow, that's a bargain! Considering the forks retail at around £550 alone.... Good find!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • fourcrossjohn
    i know!

forks - 550
    mavic whelset - 400
    sram x7 - bout 100?
    rear shock - 219
    brakes - 250
    saddle - 20
    pedals - 25

from a basic list of parts the bike shoulda cost atleast 1564 if it was a custom build

so i have cheaper than half price :D
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    i know!

forks - 550
    mavic whelset - 400
    sram x7 - bout 100?
    rear shock - 219
    brakes - 250
    saddle - 20
    pedals - 25

from a basic list of parts the bike shoulda cost atleast 1564 if it was a custom build

so i have cheaper than half price :D

You've definatley got a bit over-excited with those prices! XM 317 Rims are under £20 each, I can't see what the hubs are, but they aren't anywhere near a £400 wheelset! - The rear shock is a touch over a £100 and the brakes are half what you've listed, the forks are about £300 brand new (2009 model).

Saying that with the correct prices its still a lot of bike for £700, I've seen these in Halfords and thought they are good value!

...Are your forks the 2008 model or the 2009 model? I know the 2008 models are very very very tempremental, I would sell them quick if I were you and get some Z1's, Z150s or something similar because the 55's are not reliable at all! Even a pair of Pikes second hand [£200] would be much better!

Have fun riding it!!!!
  • fourcrossjohn
    my 55rs are great have no intention of selling them
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    my 55rs are great have no intention of selling them

Fair enough, I hope for your sake you have a good pair! I know of a lot of people who have sent theirs back on numerous occasions with the forks being repaired for upto 3 or 4 weeks at a time - means you can't ride!

...Some guy even offered to swap his nearly new 55s for my Z150's (2004 model) just because they are that unreliable!

Best of luck with them!!!