Richmond - was it good for you?

Well organised, very well signed, well stocked feed stations, great route through some wonderful scenery. What more could I ask? (Well actually, a stronger pair of legs ...)

Thanks to all and well done
MT
I should get out more (on the bike)

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Agreed. Faultless organisation, a logical and inspiring route with some classic climbs all wrapped up with a fast finishing leg from the top of Park Rash.

All for £15. I can't think of a better sportive in the Yorkshire Dales.
    Well done to all involved. :D
  • Royal Dragoon
    Royal Dragoon Posts: 270
    Absolutely fantastic event, very well organised. :D

This was my first time and I'll definetely be back for more;

Read my exploits and see my pictures here;

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/the-richmond-spor ... t3230.html

:wink:
  • muffin top wrote:
    Well organised, very well signed, well stocked feed stations, great route through some wonderful scenery. What more could I ask? (Well actually, a stronger pair of legs ...)

+1 to all of that, and thanks to all the helpers manning the feed stations. They were all really efficient and cheerful. A great ride from all poiints of view, and I even managed to get up Park Rash without stopping, which was more than I expected.
  • svenwardle
    svenwardle Posts: 8
    Thank you for your positive comments.
    Anything we could do better?
    Sven.
    Organiser.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    svenwardle wrote:
    Sven.
    Organiser.

Best value for money sportif I've ever did....the route was beautiful...the climbs were memorable....especially Fleetmoss & Park Rash....the feeds were incredible...Sportident timing....Post Hot meal...all for £15?....I tell you mate...I brung 2 of my good mates with me on this ride and they were flabbergasped at the quality of the event...they felt absolutely guilty of theft at the end?....I was gonna come over an shake your hand at the end but thought that was too knobbish...but I'd like to thank you and your quality team (Mark Bayne etc) for laying on such a treat.

I got around 60 photo's of the whole event with all the major climbs and lovely scenery and feeds...and I'll do a very personal write up of my experience.

Thanks so much.

RICHYBOY
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Great route, well signposted and good organisation.
    Personnally I had a poor day, having to walk up Fleet Moss and Park Rash.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Set out to be a great day out and it was well sign posted and even good weather had been orded in. Unfortunatley I had a mechanical problem at Tan Hill and had to limp back to Richmond via the 50mile bail out option and just got within walking distance before my back wheel died. Pity as I had driven all the way from Scotland that morning to do it and was on for a really good time for getting round the 100mile course.

Still I will do it next year if its on but it was fantastic value for money and superbly run. Thanks to all who stopped to help.
    Brian B.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Great day out I aimed fer Silver and got it, rode up Fleet Moss and Parkrash and then flew over the final 25 miles. If ever I needed reminding I live in the most beautiful part of Britain then this did it to perfection, Many thanks to the organisers who did a wonderful job of keeping everything smooth.
    Only down side was that I was right behind the lad who came off at Tan Hill, that did not look nice, On the plus side it was right in front of the ambulance :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Second all of above positive comments :D
    What a great route in superb countryside! , roads were surprisingly quiet too :D Really enjoyed it, managed to just get in silver and actually thought Park Rash wasn`t as bad as Fleet Moss !!!!...but latter was into wind and you could see it all :(
    ...in fact hardest bit for me bit was Nateby >Hawes grind into drizzle and wind.
    Excellent value with three feed stops, good grub and food at finish. Well signed (perhaps a few warning signs for some of the nastier descent corners may have been helpful?) , friendly helpers. Top rate indeed :D
  • stevev
    stevev Posts: 18
    Anyone know the link for the event photographer ?
    Cracking day, I did the 50 and have massive respect for the people who did the 100 regardless of time.
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    svenwardle wrote:
    Sven.
    Organiser.
    Sven,
    One way to improve event safety would be to have the timing finish before the town centre. This way you avoid having tired riders 'racing' for a good time, perhaps aiming to beat one of the thresholds, mixed with lots of traffic and crossing several roundabouts and a set of traffic lights.

An out-of-town timing finish was used at last year's White Rose Classic, and it worked very well. Having logged your final time (dibbed) and caught your breath, you could ride back to event HQ through the centre of Otley at a more relaxed pace. Printouts and certificates were issued back at the HQ.

The ideal place to have the timing finish is on the approach to the town, on the left, perhaps in a lay-by or a wide driveway that you have permission to use. Riders don't collect there, but move on after briefly pausing. I've no idea if a suitable location exists on the approach to Richmond - I wasn't looking, as I wanted to beat 7 hours!

Please take this as a constructive comment on an excellent and well organised event.

Thanks again,
    MT
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • I rode this ride for the second time and echo all of the praise for the superb route and organisation. Every time I do this ride I'm amazed it only cost £15 to enter and providing savoury food at the stops is genius, I'm sick sweet things after mainlining gels and energy bars on the bike.
    I grew up in the Dales but have moved south so drove up from Kent for the ride and it was definitely worth the trip.

The only feedback I would have would be that parking was in short supply with all of the parents picking their kids up from the trip at around 845.
    :D
  • svenwardle
    AngryNorthener.
    Thanks for your comments.
    The Y7 French trip always returns on the Bank Holiday Saturday at about 8.30. It's a bit of an issue, I agree, as is the whole parking thing.
    The school is in the middle of a 3 year rebuild, and this year is the worst it will be for parking. Next year another 100-150 places will be available.
    Possibly persuade the French trip to end somewhere slightly different?
    muffin top
    I know what you mean about racing through a busy market town on a bank holiday weekend chasing minutes. I'm entirely guilty of it myself.
    I've ridden the White Rose both with and without the through town finish, and it's much more relaxed without, I'd agree.
    Certainly something for us to think about, although I think the atmosphere at the finish, without people actually finishing, wouldn't be so good.
    Keep it coming!
    Results and link to photos coming soon. Paul Almond is busily tagging and uploading over 900 photos. sleepmonsters.com late tonight, or tomorrow morning.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Agree with all the above posts. I rode with Royal Dragoon and a few more of us from MTBE and we all had a great time. In fact the discussions about the 2010 rides have already started!!
  • Ichneumon
    Ichneumon Posts: 1
    Fantastic event. I did the 80 which was my first road event having got into road riding from mtb. The organisation was superb, the feeding stations were really good and the stewards were friendly.

I agree with the comment about the finish being just outside of town if possible. Sitting at traffic lights waiting to be caught by someone passed earlier wasn't ideal. Mileage information published at the feed stations would also be helpful in judging time.
  • Anonymous
    Yes, I reckon this particular Sportive ticked all the boxes...it was superb.

If you want an idea of what the event is all about then you can read of my experience here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 345&page=1

It's a very honest appraisal with some nice pics thrown in for good measure :wink:
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Great write up Richy, really enjoyed reading it.
  • svenwardle
    Thanks for the writeup, Richy.
    Really gave a good impression of the ride.
    We heard about the cat incident from the Ambulance guys. Excellent to heat it first hand!
    Next time, we'll shake hands!
  • Anonymous
    svenwardle wrote:
    Next time, we'll shake hands!

That would be my pleasure Sven....you certainly deserve that at the very least for the show you lot put on...thanks again.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Yes, I reckon this particular Sportive ticked all the boxes...it was superb.

If you want an idea of what the event is all about then you can read of my experience here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 345&page=1

It's a very honest appraisal with some nice pics thrown in for good measure :wink:

Cracking write up Rich, many thanks. Wish I had that ability.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    RICHYBOYcp

Fantastic read, really inspiring, I dont know how you remember all that detail.
    It really comes across how much you love your cycling and enjoy the comradery.

Well done, cant wait to read the next one