Tour of Wessex Day One

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
Now back home after doing the 73 mile route - returning from injury so wimped out of the longer version. Good day, lovely weather, friendly riders, and some nice roads. Good to ride round Glastonbury Tor and to climb the Cheddar Gorge (I preferred this way round to last year when we descended the Gorge).

But I've got a few complaints - signage was consistently poor, with poor warning of turns. I and many others missed the first food stop - only one sign and because the food stop was off on a side road, you didn't go past it and get reminded it was there. But food was good at the second stop - good choice of sweet and savoury. But to cap it all, they wanted £1-50 for a cup of coffee at the end of the ride - admittedly in aid of charity, but I think that for my 25 odd quid, I should have got something free to eat and drink at the end of the ride.

Still, the riding was good!

Comments

• TheDrunkMonk
    TheDrunkMonk Posts: 181
    I did the 73 (bit of a wheezy fat boy) All in all, I thought it was a really good event, and we couldn't have asked for better weather. I live in the area, and still was taken aback by how nice the scenery was around the course.

I agree that the signs could have been a little clearer or had marshals on them. That said, I didn't get lost, mainly due to other people being more observant than me, so it must've been OK. I suppose I'm comparing it to the Exmoor Beast where you were NEVER in doubt that you were on the right road.

As for the finish, chapeau to the business acumen of the £3.50 per pork roll salesman who'd set up his stall right next to the tent handing you back your £10 deposit. Genius.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Stage 2, could be good Etape training, for the combination of distance and blazing sun.
  • rusty nuts
    rusty nuts Posts: 49
    topcattim wrote:
    Now back home after doing the 73 mile route - returning from injury so wimped out of the longer version. Good day, lovely weather, friendly riders, and some nice roads. Good to ride round Glastonbury Tor and to climb the Cheddar Gorge (I preferred this way round to last year when we descended the Gorge).

But I've got a few complaints - signage was consistently poor, with poor warning of turns. I and many others missed the first food stop - only one sign and because the food stop was off on a side road, you didn't go past it and get reminded it was there. But food was good at the second stop - good choice of sweet and savoury. But to cap it all, they wanted £1-50 for a cup of coffee at the end of the ride - admittedly in aid of charity, but I think that for my 25 odd quid, I should have got something free to eat and drink at the end of the ride.

When are you guy's going to realise that your paying to enter a bike ride not a gastronomic festival. Would you like a packed lunch as well? The important thing is to get some food out on the course , so put your hand in your pocket and buy something to eat/drink at the end, stingy git!
    TL
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    rusty nuts wrote:
    topcattim wrote:

When are you guy's going to realise that your paying to enter a bike ride not a gastronomic festival. Would you like a packed lunch as well? The important thing is to get some food out on the course , so put your hand in your pocket and buy something to eat/drink at the end, stingy git!

What an extraordinarily outspoken person you are!