Advice needed - touring europe

Snowdon
Snowdon Posts: 4
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hey all, first time posting on here :P

I've been planning to tour france/spain this summer for about a month, staying in various campsites and using public transport if things get tough. I was wondering if anyone has attempted touring can give me any advice with the following.

Security concerns - how safe is it cycle round europe, have you ever had any hassle?
Carrying camping gear - I've read in different sections of this forum about trailers/panniers, whats the best? also, i've got a semi road bike (trek fx3) are these okay to use with panniers?
Also, what sort of milage would you expect to put out with the bike fully loaded?

I'm a semi-serious cyclist and have cycled to work for the past year and half, my bike at the minute is a trek fx3 (a bit concerned about using it as it's slightly flimsy) Been on an expedition to africa before, but travelled mainly by public transport/trains - no bikes :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks :D

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've always felt safe in France and Spain and have been very relaxed about security.

If your frame has eyelets for a rack, it should be strong enough to carry loads. Check that your wheels are robust, though, race wheels can buckle (I've seen it happen!)

Get the lightest, smallest camping gear you can afford - tent, s/bag, decent mat (self inflating ones are good but pricey).

You've got all day to do the mileage. We aim for a 100k average which, in practice, turns into anything between 50 and 150 depending on the terrain, interesting things to see and how you are feeling that day (it varies).

Strangely, once you get used to the load, the weight doesn't seem to hold you back (although you'll need the low gears on long hills). When you ride without the load (e.g. quick trip to the shops) the bike feels weird and frisky.

Finally, once you have laid out everything you want to take on your trip, put half of it back in the cupboard. Packing discipline is important.

Have fun!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Snowdon
    Thanks alot for the reply pneumatic, my bike does have the eyelets, and more traditional racing wheels so hopefully it would be okay. I was really concerned about security in europe as i'm travelling by myself, and its really good to know its not that bad! Cheers! :D
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    I agree with what pnumatic says but also check out my page for some more tips.
    My wife rides the fx2 (pics in our page) for several tours now with out any problems.
    Go for it and enjoy the ride :)
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip through France.

Some good advice here and also on this link:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=2282&v=8m
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Snowdon
    Cheers for the links! :D