Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Best contents insurance for bike owners?

ciaronciaron Posts: 80
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Any recommendations for insurers that are bike savvy? I'd like to include my bikes in my contents insurance (both at home and away touring) without having to pay through the nose for it with the like of E&L etc.


  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    M&S - Includes unspecified items to £4000, including bikes.
  • The MechanicThe Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    +1 for M&S
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • BarkiesnakeBarkiesnake Posts: 244
    i have home & contents with Halifax. I added my new defy to the policy covering for everything excluding racing for just an extra 17.50 a year.
    Be careful of policies which offer "unspecified items cover" they often DON'T include bikes which are regarded as high risk by insurers as they are often left unatended away from home. Make sure you ask specifically if that clause includes bikes. My last insurer had a similar clause but they didn't include them.
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • alfabluealfablue Posts: 8,497
    M&S includes any number of bikes up to £4000 each, no need to specify them. You may need an extension to cover items away from home.
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Another for M&S - Nationwide tried to sell me home and contents insurance when renewing my mortgage - their quote just for my bikes was more than the entire M&S annual premium - £475!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • theyidtheyid Posts: 44
    Hi, the co-op personal possession cover seems good including cycles up to £1000 some of the family have and say it's cheap specially if you build if a no-claims bonus. ... T.svl=copy
  • dulldavedulldave Posts: 949
    I can confirm the M&S does cover bikes as I've had to use my insurance to replace a bike.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • APIIIAPIII Posts: 2,010
    +1 for Halifax. They cover accidental damage to the bike whilst riding (but not racing). I've claimed for a broken carbon wheel. They use Wheelies Direct for handling any bike related claims, and they were easy to deal with and the new wheel was with me in no time.
    As always, it's the quality of cover that counts, not just price. I've used Norwich Union in the past and they were a nightmare to deal with when we had a water leak in the house. It took 5 months for them to cough up £900 for repairs :shock:
  • fossyantfossyant Posts: 2,549
    CIS (co-op) - we've got them. Pretty good price wise, and you can take out additional 'named' item cover for bikes/equipment over specific values. Only claimed twice in 13 years, one for damage to my bike after a hit and run, and another for a camera the kids broke. Both sorted out very quickly.
  • flyerflyer Posts: 608
    I have Barclays, extra £40 for max cliam of £1500 if stolen from house or shed with £100 excess.

Sign In or Register to comment.