chainsets

ramisis
ramisis Posts: 38
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
what is the best chainset ratio for loaded touring 44/32/22 or 48/36 26

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Its really impossible to say, personal preference, rear cassette ratios, touring terrain and fitness all come into play.

Personally I would go for the lower range, because I have had achilles tendonitis from cycling up long hills with a heavily loaded bike (its an age thing), and whilst you will spin out at a lower speed on descents, touring isn't really about speed. However, I currently tour with a road triple chainset (52-39-30) which gets me up most things with an mtb cassette and rear mech (11-32). Later this year I will be getting a new tourer and I will be specifying an mtb chainset and cassette, probably with the lower ratios.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I find a 44/32/22 chainset fine for all my cycling. I'm afraid loaded touring is beyond us now. Coupled with a 13/25 cassette it provides a range of gears I can use. 44x13 is about 90" in old money and I can pedal that at 40 kph after that I freewheel.

I'd go for the lower gears but then I managed with a 34x28 bottom gear cycle camping in the Alps and Pyrenees and rarely needed it 20 years ago. Depends how strong and fit you are really.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I am 50+ and not that strong -and carry far too much kit on tour - so I have 44/32/22 11-34 - reading that shimano are producing 12-36 so I will be looking out for that
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    I take some heavy kit and 24 x 32 just gets me up the steep hills at 3.5 mph but looking for a lower gear to pedal down to 2.5 to 3 mph.
  • louismichaels
    louismichaels Posts: 118
    I'd personally go for the 48/36/26 with an 11-34 cassette. If you go much lower than this it's quite hard to balance the bike when you cycling that slowly in the lowest gear! Avoid packing too much in your panniers - traveling light is so much more enjoyable when on the bike.
    I too have had achilles tendonitis from straining up Alpe d'Huez on a poorly geared bike and I now tour with a 50/40/28 and a 13-29 with two rear panniers and a bar bag, and my tendons since have been just fine!
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    There is a middle way;
    Stronglight do a 24 - 34 - 46 Impact, which uses a good old fashioned square taper BB.
    I changed to this from a 26-36-48 last year, not so much for the lower gears, but I use the 46 far more than I used the 48.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If you go much lower than this it's quite hard to balance the bike when you cycling that slowly in the lowest gear

This is a myth with no basis in reality. Plenty of people successfully ride 44/32/22 - for off-road touring I have a 40/30/20.
  • louismichaels
    louismichaels Posts: 118
    Do you really spend much time in the 20-34? Blimey!
    A short off road burn I can understand, but beyond that....?
    Speaking from my own reality (which of course isn't the same one as everyone elses) I find the 'high cadence, minimal forward motion' rather wobbly and unpleasant.
    Each to their own.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856

No. It's only there for the really nasty bits - it's quite comforting to have another gear to drop down to when the going gets really tough.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    andymiller wrote:

No. It's only there for the really nasty bits - it's quite comforting to have another gear to drop down to when the going gets really tough.

Silly, I know, but I find it reassuring to know there's another gear down there if I really need it when I'm on a long stiff climb. Perhaps there are gears that are intended for assurance rather than actual use :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster