Tour series

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
I'm sat watching a circuit race from Milton Keynes...... 10 miles up the road from me..... on TV. Why did I not know this was happening? I would have happily gone to watch live if it had been publicised locally. Grrrrrrr @ lack of cycling publicity

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    flaming heck you can't but know that it's happening here in Exeter next week. advertising everywhere.

I'm up marshalling on it myself and helping with Sustrans
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    We've got quite a few of our crowd going to Exeter. Any recommendations as to best place to watch from i.e on a corner near a pub?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    yogi wrote:
    We've got quite a few of our crowd going to Exeter. Any recommendations as to best place to watch from i.e on a corner near a pub?

if you want to be near a pub go down to New North Road, nearish to the Prison. You have the Fire House and the Odd Fellows there.

Also if you go to Queen Street you have the Pitcher and Piano there.

To be honest with it running through the city centre you won't be that far from a pub

Most of the days events are taking place in Bedford Square where I will be hanging around for a few hours before I have to go and meet up for my marshalling duties. So may see you around :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Some are quite close to Manchester - might cycle down and watch a few of them. :D Circuit-races are always interesting, from a spectator's point of view.

MILTON KEYNES
    Thursday 21st May 09

EXETER
    Thursday 28th May 09

WOKING
    Tuesday 2nd Jun 09

PETERBOROUGH
    Thursday 4th Jun 09

BLACKPOOL
    Tuesday 9th Jun 09

SOUTHPORT
    Thursday 11th Jun 09

STOKE-ON-TRENT
    Tuesday 16th Jun 09

COLCHESTER
    Thursday 18th Jun 09

CHESTER
    Tuesday 23rd Jun 09

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
    Thursday 25th Jun 09
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    I'll be going to the Exeter round, got the day off so hoping to get along earlier to see what's on
  • funkin
    funkin Posts: 29
    Went to Woking last night and was really impressed. I took a few photos which you can find at the following URL: http://rowephoto.co.uk/cycling/8421664

Looking forward to the TV broadcast tonight.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    funkin wrote:
    Went to Woking last night and was really impressed. I took a few photos which you can find at the following URL: http://rowephoto.co.uk/cycling/8421664

Looking forward to the TV broadcast tonight.

I was there too - a great night out and drew sizeable crowds. Will see if I managed to get myself on telly (I was on the tight bend opposite Blockbuster Video with a TV camera not too far away) when I watch the broadcast tonight! :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • TarmacExpert
    TarmacExpert Posts: 204
    I went to the Woking race last night, too, and cycled round the circuit earlier in the day in the "free wheel" event. There was only time for 4 laps, you can see my ride data here:
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/6441281
    2:18 was my best lap, the pros were doing low 1:50s in the race, but I did have the disadvantage of having to avoid loads of mums and kids. 3 of the corners are very tight, I don't envy the pros having to push it to the limit round there.

Anyway, for anyone who wasn't there and is going to watch it on tv tonight, my ride data might give you more of a feel for what the circuit is like.
  • DavidBelcher
    I3 of the corners are very tight, I don't envy the pros having to push it to the limit round there.

Judging by the splits in the bunch and at least one rider with a bloodied knee, I'm guessing even the pros had the odd spill on parts (not the bit I was on, though it was a tight-ish hairpin) of last night's circuit.

David
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Is it just me, or was the Exeter course dangerously poor? Speed bumps, Cobbled Corners, Dodgy Manhole Covers and smooth bricked ramps everywhere... What were they thinking?! :shock:
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    None of the riders raised any concerns about the Exeter course to my knowledge, including the rider who stacked it. If anything they liked the course and the technical aspects
  • dombat
    dombat Posts: 96
    I was in Woking and thought it was quality. Never seen bike racing in ther flesh before so it was a whole new experience.

Unfortunatley there's quite a few nimbies already voting/commenting on the local papers website. http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2051774_crowds_descend_on_woking_for_cycling_event

It's easy to criticise. If you enjoyed it I'd suggest vote in their online poll or email the paper to give your positive experience. Yes, the traffic was bad but it's put Woking on the map, and thousands turned out to watch. Perhaps the car drivers should've cycled :-)
  • DavidBelcher
    dombat wrote:
    Perhaps the car drivers should've cycled :-)

....or popped up on the train, as I did. Good to note that despite the killjoy comments, their online poll shows strong support for the event; based on the turn-out on the night, I'm not surprised. If it does return next year, I for one will be watching again!

David
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I only found out cos my g/f lives in Woking and she'd picked up a leaflet about it a few weeks ago. Otherwise nicky-nacky-nada. I guess like one poster said, you've got more chnace of knowing about it if you live in the place it's being held.

Having said that, not seen any publicity on here about it. No results on cyclingnews.com.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Took my kids to Peterborough last night - they loved it! Scary fast race.
  • funkin
    funkin Posts: 29
    mm1 wrote:
    Took my kids to Peterborough last night - they loved it! Scary fast race.
    It looked pretty quick on TV this evening. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Bhima wrote:
    Circuit-races are always interesting, from a spectator's point of view.

Just wait till you ride one! :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015