New Commuter!

theyid
theyid Posts: 44
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

Hello to everyone. Newbie commuter here :D

Peeved off at rising train prices I've decided to take advantage of the cycle to work scheme and ride from Leamington to Coventry. I'm getting a trek 7.6 fx (nice!) 8)

There's a cycle route on the net and doesn't look too difficult, I know I've got the fitness but have never done this sort of distance on a bike (is 10 miles I believe).

After speking to the lbs am getting the trek accessory pack (cycle computer,tools,pump, bottle and carrier), clipless pedals and shoes, decent silver rated lock (had to crap bikes nicked in Cov, they will steal anything). Am also looking at clothing.

Any general advice or is anyone familiar with a route from Leam. Thanks for looking, great site. :D

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have ab-soooo-loooot-lee no idea about your route, but welcome all the same!

General advice? Um, not sure what the "tools" accounts fo, but take spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, tyre levers and an allen key set.

10 miles each way is a nice distance. Take some water to stay hydrated as the weather gets warmer. I'm assuming it's going to get warmer, of course.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    cjcp wrote:
    I have ab-soooo-loooot-lee no idea about your route, but welcome all the same!

General advice? Um, not sure what the "tools" accounts fo, but take spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit, tyre levers and an allen key set.

10 miles each way is a nice distance. Take some water to stay hydrated as the weather gets warmer. I'm assuming it's going to get warmer, of course.

warmer ???????? Nahhhhhh this is it mate :D
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • theyid
    Cheers will make sure on the water front for sure.

Yer weather not's going to get much better I bet, remember last 'summer'! :o:cry:
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Cjcp - he's riding from leamington to coventry - a straight line surely?

Theyid - you need a kick ass full suspension bike, capable of going over houses and cars.

Man, I should be on OPRAH.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Full susser. sshesh :) You'll have to get used to the humour around here.

I'll echo the inner tubes, puncture kit and allen keys, all vital or you'll find yourself stuck some day.

Ride it like it's a car. Your part of traffic with as much right to as much of the road as you need to feel safe as anyone else. In practise that means not riding in the gutter, but about two or three feet from the kerb at least, at times more. This will eventually annoy some muppet who thinks they pays road tax, they are wrong, but you'll just have to learn to ignore them.
    That said, always remember that they can do a lot more damage than you can.
    The flip side is that you have to stop at red lights and not ride on footpaths either, you can't have everything.
    Actually, read http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/.

Cycling shorts would be a very wise investment, you can always stick a baggy pair of football shorts over them if you want, and avoid underwear, sounds dodgy but is really the only way.

Cycle when it's raining too. It's nowhere near as bad as you imagine it must be, just take it handy and avoid metalwork and road paint like the plague.
  • cjcp
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Full susser. sshesh :) You'll have to get used to the humour around here.

+1.
    Ride it like it's a car. Your part of traffic with as much right to as much of the road as you need to feel safe as anyone else. In practise that means not riding in the gutter, but about two or three feet from the kerb at least, at times more.

+1 too. You will limit your visits from the PF by doing this because you'll avoid most of the guff - glass etc.
    you can always stick a baggy pair of football shorts over them if you want, and avoid underwear, sounds dodgy but is really the only way.

:shock: This would be beyond dodgy. To complete the littel emsemble, buy some FC Barcelona socks and pull them right up over your knees. :) (Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaardieeeeeeeeeeeeee! Where are you? :P )

Cycle when it's raining too. It's nowhere near as bad as you imagine it must be, just take it handy and avoid metalwork and road paint like the plague.
    [/quote]

There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear. :P But, yes, take it easy in the rain. The road paint, particularly the fresh stuff, is lethal, so avoid squeezing through traffic on the inside with both feet on the pedals if conditions are wet.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • theyid
    Thanks for the tips guys will look at the pump & inner tubes. Yer jumping the lights on the kerb is tempting :wink: Used to do it on the MTB on short trips round the town.

Cheers eau rouge will check that out.

I had a full suspension bike (£100 from Halfords :roll: :lol: ) nicked in Coventry so they will steal anything that isn't nailed down. Was good to ride down the road and sit on the train! Didn't want it back - sure he got a tenner for it :) Muppett probably though it was worth something.

Have got a feeling the trek will feel like a Ferrari in comparison on the road.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Yup go on the road, respect the vehicles (it makes a world of a difference thanking people and smiling believe it or not), echo the tubes again, decent pump, water, I also like to wear the Nike pro stuff then a t shirt and shorts on top as it does a great job at mitigating sweat and as said cycling in the rain really isnt that bad, just dont try and brake suddenly :P

Oh and I keep a supply of Special K bars if I am knackered after work!
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    Two more accessories worth looking at:
    1) Track pump, you mentioned hand pump for roadside repairs but a track pump at home will allow you to run tires at optimum pressure - makes a huge difference!
    2) Not sure if you mentioned it but think about getting full mudguards too, you may think they look a bit lame but they keep your feet and arse surprisingly dry and are an essential for regular UK commuting.

May also want to look at bar ends if the 7.6 doesnt come with them, I got some recently and they are really comfortable, give you a couple more hand positions.

You didn't mention lights? Loads of threads about them depending on what you are after.
  • Ngalbrai
    Ngalbrai Posts: 279
    Oh yes and clothing wise I would recommend ronhill bikesters, comfortable and keep you much warmer when wet, they dont keep you dry but do keep you warm and they dry off quite quickly.
  • cjcp
    Keep some insulating tape with you too. It can act as a useful (temporary) barrier against further deflations if something causes a bit of a gash which goes right through the tyre.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • theyid
    Some more great advice cheers. The lights are sorted (I hope) 9 led front that's £15 and 1/2 watt led rear that's £25 and was reassured by the lbs these will more then do the job for a daily commute. Thanks for the clothing tips londonbairn (and fruit for me :lol: 0

Cheers mudguards are on the list too but think I will save the pennies untill it get's nearer winter. £10 clip ons should do the job shouldn't they or do I really need the lame ones? :lol:

Have the option of getting on the train with the bike when I need to but defeats the object really.

No-one mentioned but getting a kryptionite series 2 silver rated, comes with £800 anti-theft guarantee (know not to rely on this as you need the lock), thinking of getting a cable lock as well. All the quick releases are being secured.