What exactly is it that wears out your cleats?

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited May 2009 in The workshop
1) Walking on them?

2) The constant clipping/unclipping?

3) Something else?

If it's 1, I better start stocking up on spare cleats! My life as a bike-courier includes a LOT of running up/down stairs. :?

If it's 2, looks like all that trackstanding at the lights will pay off! 8)

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    edited May 2009
    It's 1.

Clipping out does take its toll, not so much the unclipping itself, but once your foot's out you've got to put it on the ground. My Look cleats wear out much quicker on the left foot because it's the foot I naturally unclip when at the lights.

This is based on plastic Look cleats and road shoes. MTB shoes make cleats last much longer (as well as being easier to walk in), not only because MTB cleats tend to be made of metal, but because the recessed cleat means it almost never comes into contact with the ground (until your sole wears out of course). I'll get well over a year, possibly 2 years, out a pair of Time atac MTB cleats with daily use. Look cleats will last half that time with only weekend use.

What cleats and shoes are you wearing?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, it's the foot planting at lights. Since I couldn't trackstand my way out of a paper bag, I replace cleats once every six months or so.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'm making an educated guess here but as mentiond above it depends on your style of cleats. Look, Time, SPDSL, etc. style of exposed cleat would certainly get more wear from walking and just setting your foot down in addition to the motion of clipping in and out. Speedplays are not affected too much from the walking but clipping in and out added to the constant movement from the float seems to be what causes the most wear. And of course the SPD recessed style cleats are usually not in contact with the ground too much so mostly the clipping in and out would seem to be what wears them out. Not a scientific conclusion of course but just my observation. :roll: For courier work I wouldn't consider anything but SPD's though. Much better than exposed road cleats for all the walking/running you'll be doing.
  • System_1
    For courier work I wouldn't consider anything but SPD's though. Much better than exposed road cleats for all the walking/running you'll be doing.

There's Time ATAC, Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and Look Quartz too. SPD's aren't the only MTB cleat/pedal system. :wink:

Of course, unless used with MTB shoes it makes no difference it's the fact they are recessed and kept away from the road surface that makes them last longer.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    System wrote:
    For courier work I wouldn't consider anything but SPD's though. Much better than exposed road cleats for all the walking/running you'll be doing.

There's Time ATAC, Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and Look Quartz too. SPD's aren't the only MTB cleat/pedal system. :wink:

Of course, unless used with MTB shoes it makes no difference it's the fact they are recessed and kept away from the road surface that makes them last longer.

Agreed!! I've gotten into the habit of labeling all recessed cleats as SPD type. :lol:
  • System_1
    Me too, until I got some Time ATAC at the end of last year. They're so good I can't help but correct people and give the ATAC's a mention. :lol: