Wahoo, just got my new Rockhopper Pro!

Macster1
Macster1 Posts: 122
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all, pretty new here but just thought I'd mention I have got my new ride - a Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :)

Rode it about a third of a mile downhill, the the same back uphill and was well feeling the burn in me old (44) lungs! Think I'll have to get lots of riding in to get fit again. I used to have a road bike when I was young(er) and could cycle for miles but it's gonna be a while till I get back there :roll:

Just need to brush up on how to look after it properly, bought a chainstay guard for the frame but have to remove the gear cable to thread it through so will have a think about that first as I don't wanna break anything or leave it all unadjusted! Also still has the clear stickers on for protection - newbies eh :oops: .

Can anyone recommend clear stickers or similar for frame protection?

Miles of fun to come, will let you know how I get on

L8RZ all
Rockhopper Pro Disc 2009 :D

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Nice one! Good choicwe of bike, I'm sure you'll love it!

Anyway, sounds like you've got a good idea - most people use the chainstay protectors. Copter Tape seems to come pretty highly recommended. Not used it myself though. Also, mini cable rub are a wise investment!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    8) Nice choice of bike! :wink:

I've got a Specialized chaninstay protector on mine, bit of a stretch but it went on, I just unclipped the gear cable from the frame (select a higher or lower gear without pedalling and you'll get enough slack in the cable for it to come loose) slide the spesh protector over the cable stay, and then clip the cable back in. Works perfect and looks good too. Can take a pic if you want?

I've not bothered with any 'copter tape any where else, the cable runs seem pretty good to me and haven't rubbed anywhere yet. The odd 'battle scar' here and there just gives the bike more character I find!

Fitness will obviously come the more you ride.
  • Macster1
    Thanks GTi-R23, I started off wanting the Comp, then the Expert but when I saw this in the flesh I fell for it, and I got this at a good price :)

That'd be cool if you could post a pic of how it should look :oops: - I totally don't want to mess anything up but hey, how hard can it be? Out of interest, what cog on the front & back should I put it in before I do it? :roll:

bigchazrocks - thanks for the link, the tape looks good value. I saw a kit in Evans but that was £20 odd but I might give the tape a go, don't want any '"battle scars"!

Can anyone suggest a good pump with a guage in black or gold [bling, bling] want to keep the expensive look about it [though I'm not really a poseur - honest]

Thanks again for the quick answers :D
  • GTi-R23
    I'll take a couple of pics in the morn, it is really simple though, even for me :P
  • Macster1
    Okay, looks simple enough, I'll give it a go!

:?
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    wish someone had told me about frame protection before I took out my Spesh Comp a couple of months ago ... tried to get the spesh chain protector but couldnt get my hands on it ... had to settle for the Lizard skin version - large - got it round the frame at a stretch.

got so many chips on the frame now ... thankfully got the silver so it dont show up so bad ...

my tips ... get that "muck off" solution - works a treat

get a chain bath type cleaner. And try to use it after every dirty ride - keeps the gear change slick.

Happy riding
  • ianrams
    ianrams Posts: 51
    Gents

Can I jump in here as I have the 2009 Rockhopper Expert Disc and I want to order the Specialized Chainstay protector but can't find my bike in the list of sizes. Which one fits the Rockhopper Expert?

Cheers

Ian
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • GTi-R23
    http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/product ... ctid=29430

This is the one on mine. It's not specifically for the RH, but it's the only one they had in stock at the Spesh Concept store when I was there a few months back, it is a stretch, but it goes on and as you can see it fits, been on for a couple of months, no issues.
  • ianrams
    ianrams Posts: 51
    Superb.

Cheers
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    pump wise id recommend this: but the "mountain bike version"

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... p-ec017727
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Just thought I'd join in - got me a Rockhopper Pro yesterday! But it is the 2008 version, so ended up within my budget - yay! :mrgreen:
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Macster1
    edited May 2009
    GTi-R23 - Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, much appreciated. It doesn't look too fiddly..... just need to find an allen key to fit

Thanks for all responses guys

Update: fitted it okay, all went well bar a little clicking from the gears where the cable obviously didn't go back exactly where it came from [though I thought it did] but now the front changer is playing up and when I change gears the bit that moves the chain across is rubbing & I get a double click on the switch :evil:

Down to Evans later for adjustments!

@ ianrams;

The one I have is the large size: from the [top] label... SP HARDTAIL C/STAY SLEEVE, J272

[bottom label] FITS: 01-05 S-Works & Stumpjumper Hardtails

This is yet to be fitted but looks the right one, I did get a Lizardskin initially but swapped it as it looked too small

HTH?
  • rockhop09
    rockhop09 Posts: 17
    good choice in bike fella. is it the 09 one? as they are duper light, think they weigh 25.4lbs last time i weighed one :D . ive currently got the rockhopper comp 09 and that rides beutifully, yours has better componants on 8) those hollowtech bottom brackets are super flowy! steerings very responsive too :D

good choice to go with dude!

;)
  • Macster1
    edited June 2009
    Yes, it is the 2009 model and I love it, but haven't been out on it that much yet :(

Got me a saddle bag, spare tube, puncture kit, multi tool, pump and bottle so ready to go, it's just getting the time.

I had been looking for one for ages and shopping around just hoping for a mega deal.

I bought it for £700, 2 days old; a guy locally upgraded through a R2W scheme but decided he wouldn't use it and as he had 2 bikes already sold it on. He bought on a Saturday, I had it off him on the Monday, well pleased with the saving. I almost bought one for £850 NEW from The Tristore in Bournemouth which would have still been a great deal but I couldn't turn this down :D

I'll be off to the Evans big sale next week in Gatwick as I want a new bike and some accessories for my wife & 7 year old Son [around £350 and £200] if I don't buy there I can get 15% off vouchers for Halfords so not sure what to get yet :?

Enjoy yours, they are well specced bikes!
  • I'll be off to the Evans big sale next week in Gatwick as I want a new bike and some accessories for my wife & 7 year old Son [around £350 and £200] if I don't buy there I can get 15% off vouchers for Halfords so not sure what to get yet

let us know if that any good i was considering going but not sure if it be a worthwhile 1 hour+ trip..
  • Macster1
    Will do, as it happens I'm in Croydon so it's already 30-40 minutes for me but if I can get some good deals it'll be worth it. I'm mainly after 2 bikes, 2 helmets, 2nd pump etc, etc.

I have been advised NOT to go on the Saturday as there will be massive queues and my wife can't try the bikes out that day either.

It runs from the 6th to the 14th June and is at James Watt Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9TZ [off Gatwick road, M23 junction 9 or 10 and 5 minutes either way]

:)
  • i am wonderig though how big a sale it will be.. ie will they sell bike parts like forks, breaks ect or mainly just bikes and cloths.

might go down il see if i bussy or not:)