Where to buy isopropyl alcohol (disc cleaning)?

DrWorm
DrWorm Posts: 66
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I read everywhere that isopropyl alcohol is the thing to clean fouled up disc rotors but where do you actually buy this from?

I got a little carried away with a fettling/cleaning/lubing session and gunked up my rear rotor so could really do with knowing where to pick this up. Otherwise I'll end up in my LBS paying 5 times the cost for some brand name stuff that does exactly the same job.

Ta muchly

Comments

• stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Servisol-701.131-IPA-170-Isopropyl-Alcohol--Spray-400ml_W0QQitemZ370199112723QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090510?IMSfp=TL0905101110002r9053

Try that. I'm sure I used to get it cheaper than that, but it's been a while since I've bought any.

Stu
    "I ride to eat"
  • DrWorm
    Cheers Stu but I need it from a bricks & mortar store really as I'd like to get some so I can get out on my steed this bank holiday weekend.

Soz to be picky! :oops:
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    Just use meths, It cleans them up a treat.
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    In that case either try RS components or Maplins if you have 1 nearby, or a car spares shop. Maplins is about 7 quid and RS 5, car place might be cheaper if you're lucky.

Stu
    "I ride to eat"
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    most decent chemists will have it.
  • DrWorm
    Thanks people, I'll get myself out after work and look for some.

I thought chemists no longer sold it without a perscription these days?
  • Meths tastes better too.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    nope got some from the chemist last week. Had to order it in though so took a couple of days. £5 for 600mls
  • DrWorm
    anjs wrote:
    nope got some from the chemist last week. Had to order it in though so took a couple of days. £5 for 600mls

Weird, when I asked for it the pharmacist looked at me like I was a wine-o tramp! :D
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    i did the easy but expensive thing of buying Muc Off disc cleaner. Works well, but stinks!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I use Halfords brand brake cleaner (The stuff for cars) in an aerosol, does the job. Or even Wynns Carb Cleaner, also sold in halfords is only a few quid and will quickly strip oil and grease off discs.
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Bought mine at a computer parts store, for cleaning a heat sink.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Any chemist will stock it or order it for you and you shouldn't have to explain yourself - they should know people use it as a special degreasing cleaning fluid. My chemist I pay the same as above, £5 for 750ml plastic bottle with idiot proof cap.
  • chorscroft
    chorscroft Posts: 254
    If you've got a LBS near you I would see if they have any fenwicks brake cleaner. I fitted new brake pads this morning and used it instead of the dluted degreaser I normally use and my god - once I'd bedded in the new pads I felt like the brakes could stop a train and my rotors are only 160mm.
    I think you'd be surprised how much of a difference a specialized cleaner makes.
  • DrWorm
    Well I went to my LBS and they had no specific rotor cleaner, ran out aparently but he said to go to the motorcycle shop next door. I didn't though, I went amile up the road and bought an alcohol based bike specific disc cleaner from Halfords, about a fiver, it'll probably last me a couple of years though.

I cleaned the discs and also gave the pads a rub down with wet 'n' dry and all is well, I can skid again to look hard in front of kids!

So cheers people.
  • GTi-R23 wrote:
    I use Halfords brand brake cleaner (The stuff for cars) in an aerosol, does the job. Or even Wynns Carb Cleaner, also sold in halfords is only a few quid and will quickly strip oil and grease off discs.

I agree brake cleaner for cars is the best stuff - after all thats what its for, if its good enough for cars...............
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Apparently some car brake cleaner contains a small amount of mineral oil. Sounds insane to me but, so they say. I've always used halfords own brake cleaner though, never had an issue on cars, motorbikes or mtbs. It's good for getting price tags off CD boxes too :lol: I think there's a bikehut cycle disc cleaner, which no doubt is the exact same only more expensive.

But, if you want isopropyl, and you don't mind paying a little too much, Maplins does it in aerosols and in tins. The aerosols for convenience, tins for if you want to use loads.

Muc Off do a disc cleaner, which has the added benefit of smelling nice.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    Got mine from chemist £5 for 750ml did help having my backback and helmet gloves etc on me at the time, made explaining my uses for it alot easier!
  • Ha ha yeah I got some funny looks when I went in my local chemists wearing jogging bottoms and asked for a syringe (for bleeding my brakes not injecting heroin !) :lol:
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Ha ha yeah I got some funny looks when I went in my local chemists wearing jogging bottoms and asked for a syringe (for bleeding my brakes not injecting heroin !) :lol:

What, just jogging bottoms.... :shock: ???
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic