Staying dry/warm on the Tour of Wessex :(

Hi,

Doing my second ever Sportive on Monday - a 106 stage of the TOW. I'm really looking forward but....weather looks crappy with heavy showers predicted.

I went out on Sunday and got drenched - very unpleasant. Don't think I can cope with that 60 miles into a 106 miler!

I have a limited budget. I already have a DHB waterproof (cheap and not very breathable - certainly not packable so I'd have to wear it all the way round) or a lightweight packable shower proof Montane jacket.

I think I might invest in some waterproof socks and arm warmers too and wear a base layer, jersey and gilet to stay warm.

What would others wear / take for such a ride? It seems such a gamble.

Comments

• Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    Sparklehorse - Good luck with it all for Monday. Thats a cracking day, well all 3 are!

It might be wet on Monday but the temperature doesnt look to bad!??! I'd go for overshoes oppose to waterproof soaks.

I'd go with 3/4 or full length. But doubtful on the full length bottoms. Jersey and showerproof gillet. Armwarmers for sure and overshoes.

I doubt it will rain for the entire 106 miles - not like in 2007 :?

take your water proof if your unsure

enjoy the ride
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • Sparklehorse
    Sparklehorse Posts: 126
    thanks Brewsterwmb. I sure will try to enjoy - I can certainly cope with the odd shower.

OK, I have some 3/4 bib shorts which I will wear with thin base and jersey. Will have to pick up a gilet, arm warmers and overshoes from Evans tomorrow!

Suppose warmth is more important that dryness.
  • +1 on the overshoes. they are essential if it is wet imho and nothing is worse than soggy socks and shoes on a long ride. endura do some pretty good neoprene ones and for not too much.

a good breatheable, lightweight jacket, which you can fold up small and put in your back pocket when the rain stops and/or you warm up.

if' it's really wet you may want to think about fitting some mudguards - say SKS raceblades - will make your ride a whole lot more enjoyable.
  • Sparklehorse
    Sparklehorse Posts: 126
    thanks - will neoprene be hot/sweaty if it gets sunny? Is it practical to put overshoes in jersey pockets if the rain holds off?
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    Sparklehorse your days away... tried and tested kit only :wink:

Wouldnt go with Endura's neoprene ones, they do a nice smooth road version. they dont hold the water or serious amounts of heat. But then looking at the local weather. I'd take them in the car but probably wouldnt use them! Wollie Bollie socks that even with a shower or 3 keep my feet warm wet wet.
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • not using new kit on sportives is overblown i reckon. i've done it on a few occasions - sometimes it worked out great, other times less so, but i still finished and posted a good time. it's not like you're changing something major like bike set-up or or cleat position. what's the worst that can happen - you have to take the overshoes off at a feed stop 'cos they're bugging you? you'll survive.

defeet woolie boolie socks are good for cold weather, but they will do nothing to keep your feet dry. if fact, and speaking from experience having been caught out by the rain, they definitely hold more much water than regular racing socks.

in the warmer weather the neoprene overshoes can be indeed be too warm in the summer months. however as a first pair of overshoes i suggested neoprene overshoes because, let's face it, in the UK we don't get wam weather for anything more than 3 months a year and you will be able to wear the neoprene overshoes all through winter as well, when you will be glad of the warmth and they are cheap so they represent the best bang for your buck and versatility i reckon. i've worn them in wet weather in may/june no problemo - yeah your feet get warm, but that's so much better than being wet.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I wore neoprene endura overshoes last weekend - kept me dry and I didn't get too warm despite the sun coming out towards the end of the ride. I think that they're a really good buy.

I think you can't go wrong with base layer, jersey, gilet, armwarmers and your packable shower proof/wind proof. Time to invest sparklehorse. You don't have to spend afortune - evans cycles (online) have some scott men's gilets at around £30 - half price. Hold on, let me get a link - http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/c ... lets-vests
    loads of half price gilets there.

Good luck in TOW - I thought the weather was going to be good this weekend.