Dan Martin

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Should he be allowed or entered for the Tour de France 2009? I think yes, and pulled out after 12 days??

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Quite possibly since the Pyrenees come quite early. But he could be a hindrance to Garmin in their target TTT stage. Still, better not to put all their eggs in the basket of the TTT, so I'd get him in there.

That said, maybe just get him ready for the Dauphiné this year?
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    Quite possibly since the Pyrenees come quite early. But he could be a hindrance to Garmin in their target TTT stage. Still, better not to put all their eggs in the basket of the TTT, so I'd get him in there.

That said, maybe just get him ready for the Dauphiné this year?

either hald the TDF or full Vuelta? I read on another forum his dad saying after Route Di Sud last year that his son was defo not rushing into grand tours in 08, but after catalonia, surely time?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    He's doing well in Catalonia.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Too young for the Tour!

I recon the same applied to Any Schleck to be honest. Should have waited another year, let him be team leader, and let him explode onto the scene Hinault style... Now he's a marked man!

Same goes for Gesink.

Don't want them to burn out too soon. Look at Baden Cooke. Won green when he was 24 and burnt out.

It will all come in due time.

Have a little patience...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dave_1
    From the DS of Slipstream..twitter quote today

TeamSlipstream... Just wondering if Dan Martin might be a contender for the white jersey in the Tour this year? I can dream - and dreaming is free! JV
    about 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry
  • Congratulations to him on his overall win today. Totally deserves it.
  • millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    Congratulations to him on his overall win today. Totally deserves it.

I thought he came second overall?? Still a great performance from him though. I wouldn't enter him for the tour. I'd have him do the dauphine, hopefully go well there, maybe a stage win and high GC placing then give him a rest with the intention of building up to a push for the young rider competition in the Vuelta.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Congratulations to him on his overall win today. Totally deserves it.

I thought he came second overall??
    Still a great performance from him though. I wouldn't enter him for the tour. I'd have him do the dauphine, hopefully go well there, maybe a stage win and high GC placing then give him a rest with the intention of building up to a push for the young rider competition in the Vuelta.

To a person who shouldn't have been allowed to enter in the first place. Dan Martin was the first of the riders actually eligible to race under the UCI's own unenforced rules.
  • millar time
    millar time Posts: 392
    Thats true.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    afx237vi wrote:
    To a person who shouldn't have been allowed to enter in the first place. Dan Martin was the first of the riders actually eligible to race under the UCI's own unenforced rules.
    To be fair to the UCI, and I'm often not, the ProTour code of conduct, which would preclude Valv.Piti from riding, was a voluntary agreement that the teams agreed to. So Caisse d'Espargne should have withdrawn him from the race, not the UCI.
  • afx237vi
    Fair point. But if the UCI had any balls in the first place they'd make proper rules in the first place to stop this sort of stuff happening.

Have they even commented on the CONI ruling yet? Oh and Theo Bos, has he been banned yet? Wait, the bio passport results, any news yet? WTF does the UCI actually do?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Have they even commented on the CONI ruling yet? Oh and Theo Bos, has he been banned yet? Wait, the bio passport results, any news yet? WTF does the UCI actually do?

Thank you for your interest in cycling. At the UCI we like to generate presentations after paying external consultants a lot of money. Like every other corporate entity.

Try thisone for size

:wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Thank you for your interest in cycling. At the UCI we like to generate presentations after paying external consultants a lot of money. Like every other corporate entity.

Try thisone for size

:wink:

Well, that just says it all. That's what the UCI does.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

You did ask.

BTW, the cable on your mouse in 0.0032mm too wide. And you replace it or I'll have you banned from the forum.

PS - Does anyone know if my polyester blazer really does pose a fire hazard if I'm near nylon?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

You did ask.

BTW, the cable on your mouse in 0.0032mm too wide. And you replace it or I'll have you banned from the forum.

PS - Does anyone know if my polyester blazer really does pose a fire hazard if I'm near nylon?

In that case I'll just start my own forum and only invite the 20 best posters and make them contribute even if they don't want to! The rest of you can sod off :lol:
  • Kléber
    afx237vi wrote:
    Fair point. But if the UCI had any balls in the first place they'd make proper rules in the first place to stop this sort of stuff happening.
    No, they do have a "no start rule" whereby a rider under investigation for a doping offence should not start a race. I posted the wording on here last week but can't find the post again and am too lazy this morning to trawl the UCI website for it.

It's primarily meant to apply to riders who've got a positive A-sample and waiting for news on the B-sample but the wording is such that Valverde could easily be suspended under the rules pending a UCI meeting.

Maybe Valverde has the right to race. But there should be debate, if the sport's authorities could rule one way or another we - fans but also riders and teams - enjoy a more predictable sport where the rules are upheld, not treated as optional things.

Right now, all I see is a big mess. Valverde is one of the sports biggest names and by some measures Italy is the nation with the most professional riders. Therefore you'd expect a ruling by CONI to carry some weight and to at least result in a statement from the UCI. But they're silent in Aigle.

I don't know how Dan Martin feels, coming second to Valverde is a strong ride for him and this should be a big satisfaction but he can look at his mantelpiece and spot the room for the Catalan silverware.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Good ride by Jakob Fuglsang to 6th (or 5th depending on your viewpoint on the above) overall. He's looking quite impressive this season.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    can anyone explain why CONI's ruling is suddently "italy only" (and was pre-announced as such by non-italian institutions and media) yet the WADA code requires reciprocity?

oh, and that presentation is priceless. if it wasn't on the uci's own website, I would have thought it was a hoax.
  • Kléber
    Barring an accident, he's going to do the Tour. He's down for the Dauphiné and the team will see how he does during this week and then he'll build up for July.
  • I suppose the only consulation is that he is not going to effect the GC contenders only the poor buggers looking for early week 1 stage wins ( in the Tour that is). Yes congratulations to Dan on his overall win.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.