Chainring allignment

Marko1962
Marko1962 Posts: 320
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Is there any particular way the inner chainring on a double/compact should be placed? I had reason to take my chainrings off a couple of weeks ago and when it came to reattaching them the outer was easy, countersink and writing facing outwards with the stud aligned with crank arm.

The inner was the same but no stud to aid alignment. I have noticed that changing from the smaller up was not as quick as previous but today I noticed a small 'tit' on the small chainring webbing, should this 'tit' be aligned with the crank?

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    What you describe as a 'tit' should be adjacent to the crank. It's there to stop an unshipped chain getting trapped between the crank and ring. The relative positions of both chain rings and cassette sprockets is quite important to make indexed gear changing work smoothly.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what rings?
    here is a shimano ring.

by "tit" you mean this
    img1807sv8.th.jpg
    it should be aligned with the arm as well.
    On a tripple the small ring would also have one
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Thanks for your reply Geoff_SS but I'm referring to the inner chainring not the outer.

nicklouse, yes thats the 'tit' like protrusion I am referring to. On my chainring it is more pointed but yes thats it, ta for the confirmation.

I have now repositioned my inner and it does shift quicker and smoother...

:wink: