Perianal Haematoma - advice on recovery times ?

andylav
andylav Posts: 308
edited May 2009 in The bottom bracket
So, this will bring tears to your eyes, 5 weeks ago today I'm fitting a new set of bars to my bike and go to jump onto the bike to make sure the levers are positioned right before cinching everthing up tight.

Foot slipped on pedal just as I was about to set myself onto the saddle and I landed with all of my weight on my bum on the point of an Arione CX while wearing a pair of loose fitting jeans - the upshot of which was soft tissue trauma and internal bleeding, which subsequently caused a deep hair follicle to become infected.

Two courses of antibiotics and several hot salty baths later and I'm now pain and discomfort free but I still have a noticeable solid swelling at the point of impact. Doctor, who is a cyclist and sympathetic, advises that until the haematoma clears completely (i.e - no longer discernible to touch) I shouldn't cycle as the 'shearing' motion could cause further infection and the risk an absess forming.

Progress in this direction is frustratingly slow so just wondering if anyone has had a similar, unfortunate experience and can advise how long a full recovery might take and what, if anything, I can do to stimulate healing ?

Cheers

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggghh
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    :shock:

the only experience I can relate is that of piles....I have had a couple in the last year and like you had no intention of getting back on the bike until it was gone.....sensible move really...

Of course, also like you I wanted to do everything I could to help the healing process....

Keep it clean....keep going with the baths....
    Lots of Fruit and Vegetables...keep that immune system going....
    Patience.....rushing this sounds like it could cause abrupt pain, bleeding and further time off the bike....

Good Luck!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I have no idea about recovery times but, by God, you have my deepest sympathies...
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    I have no idea about recovery times but, by God, you have my deepest sympathies...

+1

Hope it doesn't take to long to heal up.

Red Rock
  • andylav
    Thanks for the messages of sympathy and support guys - believe it or not, it didn't actually hurt that much at the time as I have a bit more padding in the area than I'm happy with (brings tears to the eyes now though thinking about it). Sort of shrugged it off as stupidity but it was definitely a bit uncomfortable the next day and moderately painful the day after that, particularly when sitting.

Like the fool I am though, I went out on the bike on the following Sunday (three days after impact) with a pair of Assos shorts and an Arione triathlon saddle. No pain, just mild discomfort when on the bike but I obviously overdid it (85 miles) as I couldn't sit, stand or walk on the Monday.

Pain on the Tuesday was unbelievable, whereupon a visit to the doc confirmed it was more than just a bruise I was dealing with. The cycling on Sunday had caused internal shearing, which led to the infected hair follicle, which led to excruciating pain, more swelling, bursting (ouch and yuck) and the salt baths and penicillin.

Which brings us up to now - with no pain or discomfort, but a solid 10 pence piece sized blood clot underneath the skin that the doc says has to dissipate completely before I can cycle again to avoid the risk of further shearing, infection and potential for developing into a much more serious problem in the form of an absess (running, cross trainer or any other decent aerobic activity is also out), I'm climbing the walls with boredom (watching the Giro is helping a bit) and wondering if my season is dusted already.

Moral of the story - either have your local bike shop do all of your maintenance work, or step slowly over the top tube when you want to check your stem /bar alignment !
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Ouch! I'd listen to the Doc. on this one.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    andylav wrote:
    So, this will bring tears to your eyes, 5 weeks ago today I'm fitting a new set of bars to my bike and go to jump onto the bike to make sure the levers are positioned right before cinching everthing up tight.

Foot slipped on pedal just as I was about to set myself onto the saddle and I landed with all of my weight on my bum on the point of an Arione CX while wearing a pair of loose fitting jeans - the upshot of which was soft tissue trauma and internal bleeding, which subsequently caused a deep hair follicle to become infected.

Two courses of antibiotics and several hot salty baths later and I'm now pain and discomfort free but I still have a noticeable solid swelling at the point of impact. Doctor, who is a cyclist and sympathetic, advises that until the haematoma clears completely (i.e - no longer discernible to touch) I shouldn't cycle as the 'shearing' motion could cause further infection and the risk an absess forming.

Progress in this direction is frustratingly slow so just wondering if anyone has had a similar, unfortunate experience and can advise how long a full recovery might take and what, if anything, I can do to stimulate healing ?

Cheers

'mummy the bad man is scaring me'

*hides*
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    I can offer no useful information, but may I politely suggest that.....

2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I've never had a haemtoma THERE (counting lucky stars, touching wood etc) but I did have ahuge one on the outside of my right thigh after an off. It started out the size of two fists. The bad news is that I still have a small lump over a year later. I'm guessing that the smaller size of your clot and better blood flow to the area should mean that yours clears up much more quickly but I think you'll need to be patient.

J
  • andylav
    Cheers guys.

Pictures ? I nearly spat my coffee at the thought !

I think I'll spare you all (any spare myself the contortions of trying to get a shot of it, though it's re-swelling at the moment - I'm anticipating another eruption - so it would probably show up well in the shot!!!!

Cheers again

Andy