Are these wheels any good?

Carlos13
Carlos13 Posts: 152
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
A few months ago I decided to get into road riding and bought myself a s/h road bike on eBay. Anyway the frame turned out to be too small, so I've since swapped everything onto a better sized frame for me (Felt CA1). The original frame was some unbranded job.

I bought the bike because coming from a MTB background I knew the brands of the components on the bike, particularly the wheels. Since I bought it I've not been able to find the wheels for sale, and would like to find out if they are any good or if they would be candidates for upgrade as I go along.

They are Mavic CXP-33 rims laced to Hope Mono (at least I think they are Mono, from photos) hubs. I can't tell what the spokes are, but they are fairly plain looking stainless steel, not aero shaped. The rims have green Hope stickers on, which made me think they might have been sold like that originally by Hope (or a supplier of theirs), but then again the original owner may just have stuck them on.

Can anyone help out by telling me if these are any good, and what they might compare to for instance in the Fulcrum or Campag range. They feel good to me, but I have no experience of road wheels.

Thanks in advance :)
08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
On One Scandal single speed
08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
Felt CA1
70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
Various other junk

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    They sound pretty good to me. In fact if you're getting rid of them give me shout. Hope hubs are very good, and the CXP33 rim is a nice light semi-aero rim too.

They're obviously custom built (which is why you can't find them anywhere) so its difficult to say what they would compare to in factory wheels. Add up the cost of the parts though and you're looking at possibly £300+ to have a similar pair built today. I'd hang on to them if I were you. Can't beat a good pair of handbuilts.
  • Carlos13
    Carlos13 Posts: 152
    Thanks for that. I don't plan to sell them, just didn't know if I'd ended up with something half-decent. As I said they feel very solid, but I have nothing to compare them to. Sounds like if I bought a more expensive frame they would be worth hanging onto.
    08 Commencal Meta 5.5.2
    On One Scandal single speed
    08 Specialized Tricross Singlecross
    Felt CA1
    70s Claud Butler Campag Gransport - Fixed conversion
    Various other junk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You have ended up with something very decent indeed!

Handbuilts using excellent rims and light yet bombproof hubs? Brill!

I wouldn't swap for anthing less than top Fulcrum / Campag ones, basically I think that you'd struggle to get anything substantially better for less than £600
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Carlos13 wrote:
    Sounds like if I bought a more expensive frame they would be worth hanging onto.

Absolutely.