Where do bike radar get their journalists?

shoppo33
shoppo33 Posts: 88
edited May 2009 in Pro race
It was the third stage win of this year's race for the Columbia rider, after becoming the first British man to ever win a stage on the Tour of Italy, when he won on opening day.

Look at this above quote from the Cavendish stage 11 win on bike radar today.
Firstly Cavendish won two stages last year, no wonder he gets p1ssed at the coverage the UK press give him.

Secondly I am only in my twenties but have vague memories of Miller wining a mountain stage in the 80's.

Thirdly a very quick google searh also highlighted the fact that Vin Denson also won a stage in 1966.

Isn't Bike Radar supposed to be a cycling specific news site for cycling fans? You would at least think their journalists would know which British riders had won stages in the worlds second biggest stage race.

Comments

• ednwireland
    ednwireland Posts: 85
    dont forget the two he won last year !!!!!!!!!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    A trained journalist would annotate or underline each fact he's written and double-check it. For example:
    London is the capital of Britain with a population of 7.5million.
    A simplistic example but it prompts them to double check each underlined point. This way they don't look a wally when their editor spots it. Who seems to have gone missing, eh Jeff Jones :wink:

Daniel Benson was advertising for a new writer last month. Is the job still available?
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Rather odd grammar too, but I guess the writer has got in a muddle between stage wins and wearing the leader's jersey. Pretty poor attempt really.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I hope he can be the first brit ever to win a stage in this year's tour de france.
  • Anonymous
    Maybe they got confused with the fact he was the first Brit to wear pink?

In the words of the Likely Lads, "Gizza Job?"
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    edited May 2009
    We get a feed from AFP, so you'll probably find that error on many websites. Normally it's good. In this case maybe they had someone inexperienced writing. Not good for a wire service!

That doesn't excuse poor editing though. I've corrected the rider name errors and any other factual errors that I could find.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    NapoleonD wrote:

In the words of the Likely Lads, "Gizza Job?"

Pedant warning;

Do you mean Yosser off "Boys From The Black Stuff"?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Don't forget that he didn't technically WIN on the first day either! It was a team win.

They were saying the same thing on BBC TV this morning - that he had won three stages.

Bike Radar probably gets their stories from a 'pool' and not everything is reported directly by them.

Whoever wrote that obviously wasn't a huge cycling geek and doesn't understand the difference between winning a stage and wearing the pink jersey.
  • Kléber
    It was "Gissa Job", double-s :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Damm!
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Damm!

caned!!!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Kléber
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Damm!
    That would be "damn" with an "n" at the end:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh...
  • Anonymous
    I got an e-mail from Bikeradar today about the nutritional value of tinned pork and the risk of swine flu. Then I realised it was just spam.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Kléber wrote:
    Daniel Benson was advertising for a new writer last month. Is the job still available?
    Think it has been filled...

They never got back to me :roll:

:!: