Anyone use a Saris Bones rack with a Lapierre Zesty?

Dazza993
Dazza993 Posts: 99
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi all,

I've at last got myself a Zesty 514 ( http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71 ... 3_0008.jpg ) and its blooming fabulous. I now would like a bike rack for the car to get to trail centers etc.

Bike rack wise I'm favouring the Saris Bones 3, which looks like it will happily fit on my '07 BMW 5 series.

Now the Zesty has a slightly sloping top tube and my LBS suggested that I might need the Saris bike beam ( http://www.saris.com/p-170-bike-beam.aspx ) which creates an artifical top tube from which to hang the bike on the carrier.

Having had a good like at said bike beam it looks like the stem & saddle will bear the weight of the bike so if possible I'd like to avoid using it.

I don't suppose anyone knows for certain whether a Zesty will naturally sit in the Saris bones rack without the need for the bike beam?

Alternatively if there are other bike racks that you know that work with a Zesty or any bike with a fattish sloping top tube that also fits a Beemer 5 series then advice would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Can I ask why you are averse to using the Saris 'Beam'?

If your stem and seatpost are wayyyyy more than capable of holding your weight on the trail (which I hope they would be!!! :shock: :lol: ), it's easily going to support the weight of the bike.

EASILY :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    If you do need to use the beam I wouldn't worry too much about the stem and post, they take a he'll of a lot of stress and weight just through riding, far more than suspending the weight of the bike. That's the only trouble with full sussers, tailgate racks are hard work!
  • ichabod crane
    ichabod crane Posts: 144
    You will most likely need the bike beam, I have the same problem with my Heckler and use the bike beam. Which works a treat for ease of fitting i do normally take the wheels off though.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    Saris bones and full susses don't mix unless you get a false crossbar . The arms will be a bastard to try and squeeze it between the shock and the top tube
  • Dazza993
    Dazza993 Posts: 99
    Can I ask why you are averse to using the Saris 'Beam'?

The main reason being that having looked at the beam it isn't a particularly close fit - which maybe is fair enough given that it needs to be a 'one size fits all' setup.

I'd worried that the bike may not necessarily be securely fastened to the rack using the beam and hence may damage bike & car.

From the responses posted so far, it would appear that my concerns around the beam are unfounded (which is good to know) that the weight of the bike will be suspended by the stem+saddle as opposed to the top tube.

Cheers for the input.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    My mate has the saris 3 bike rack and I can get my trek fuel ex 7 and his orange 5 on it without the need for a beam. It is a tight squeeze getting it on the arms though
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I used to have the Saris bones rack and false crossbar thingy. No worries with it, use a couple of extra straps to stop the bike flapping around. The crossbar is quite sturdy, the locking pins for the clamps are spring loaded, and basically foolproof. Dont sweat it, its a good system.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Had a 314 (medium) on a Saris bones and it was fine without the cross-bar thing, the weight was pretty much all on the arm by the back wheel though with the arm by the head tube about an inch below the top tube but the straps held it on OK.
  • 99thmonkey
    99thmonkey Posts: 667
    I use a Saris with my MTB's and all good. Infact Im about to put a spare BNIB one up for sale on the forum as soon as Ive taken a picture (of a brand new box!!)

£85 if anyway is intrested! Its the 3 Bike Version
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I can just squeeze the arm between the shock and top tube on my Hifi so it sits fine....just!
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    I use -Pendle- rack, those arms* adjust to any different hights and I can fit any given design Full Susser on a rack, and 3 of them if pushed hard. Don't understand hysteria around Saris*.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though