andi 123
andi 123 Posts: 3
edited December 2013 in MTB rides
:) hi anybody out there riding in and around wakefield? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Comments

• Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Hi,

Yes I do cycle in Wakefield but not on a MTB im a roadie. Have you tried cycling through Walton Woods near Waterton Park Hotel? There are a few good off road tracks through the woods.

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • BrokenSoul
    BrokenSoul Posts: 13
    Andi, Bad Brains MBC ride in the Wakefield area.

There's a website and a forum.

BadBrainsMBC
    Is it rideable?
  • I'm in Wakefield and I've been riding at the Anglers ( Wintersett ) .

Used to go there from home via Pugneys , Sandal Castle , then onto Sandal , Walton and heading to Anglers then returning by the same route .

Had knee surgery a few months ago so still getting back into it :D
  • Robbyman
    Robbyman Posts: 2
    I am in Oulton Leeds, so only a few miles away from you. I have been off the bike for a few years and just gettinmg back into it. Keen to meet up for rides.

Rob
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Another Wakfield boy here, check out this link and look at the off road routes, my mate "Girthmiester" has logged most of our regular loops & rides

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... 2Fpage%2F2

These are our regular routes, many variations on each once you know them, always on the lookout for new routes though so please share if you know of any not lised here.

Ring around New Hall, takes in Coxley woods - hard technical climb but lots of fun if you choose to come back down the same way.

Newmiller Dambuster - out to Winterset & back, lots of technical stuff in Nemiller & Haw Park woods once you know where they are, take your time and explore.

Sharlston, Wintersett, Newmillerdam - longer variation of the Newmiller route

Ferry Boat two pinter - along the Calder out towards Normanton then loop back round call in at the Ferryboat Inn then follow the cannal back toward town.
  • BrokenSoul
    BrokenSoul Posts: 13
    Glad you made it out on tuesday, Rob.

Out next week? Probably riding from Morley Asda.
    Is it rideable?
  • andi 123
    andi 123 Posts: 3
    thanks for all the replies
  • As much as I hate to exhume old threads, I too live in Wakefield and am looking for some weekend riding. Since this thread was originally posted, has anything changed? any other groups meeting? I know there is supposed to be a ride on Tuesday nights from meeting opposite the Hepworth, but I've not been along to any of these yet
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    calder clarions are a group which head out from thornes park in wakefield. Nice friendly bunch

http://www.calder-clarion.co.uk/
  • Thanks for the info, zx. I recognise the Clarion team kit from road riders ending up in my local. I think I might make the next ride a week Sunday
  • Went out for the first time yesterday with the Clarion MTB ride. It was a cracking run and we ended up at a pub (at my aforementioned local, the Cricketer's Arms in Horbury, where we met up with some of the regular roadie members of the club) . Anyone interested, it's every two weeks from the Denby Dale car park 9:30, Sunday morning. However, the next fortnight coincides with one of the club's events so there isn't one on 7/7, making the next ride 21st July by my reckoning though it's not listed on the website.
  • zx6man
    Nice one, once my knee is healed I may try that. How far and where about did you go?
  • I made just over 24 miles including riding to Thornes and back from the pub. I can't tell you exactly where, but we want down Denby Dale Rd and took a bridal way to Horbury Bridge. From there some route through to New Hall Prison, out to Bretton and somehow found our way out near Pugneys. We saw a good range of trails too: some nice technical single track, some wide forest paths and not too much road between
  • Hi sorry for bringing back an old thread.

There are a few of us doing a 'fat lads' 20-25 mile easy going ride on a sunday morning from Pugneys at 9:30. We are also going to be doing a evening ride from cycle technology one evening (night ride) if anyone is up for it?
  • zx6man
    This on or off road mate?
  • off road at the moment but maybe road also soon. I think there is a road one from chantary bridge on a tuesday morning maybe.
  • We are going to be doing this again on sunday. leaving Pugneys cafe at 09:30.
  • Sounds great. Is this going to be a weekly thing? Sadly the Clarion rides have dried up (figuratively, at least).
    I know there was a ride going from Cycle Technology on a Tuesday in the past but I've not bought any lights yet now they're starting up again
  • yeah the sunday mornings we are trying to get going every week.
  • again this sunday (tomorrow) 9:30 at pugneys if anyone is up for it.
  • I can't make it this week, family commitments. Got to take the little'n to see the reindeer in town tomorrow. I offered to stick some antlers on nextdoor's cat but apparently that doesn't cut it :roll:
    Should be there next weekend
  • Is the Sunday ride on this week? I'm planning to head on down
  • Yeah as far as I know there is. I'll check in the morning and let all know.
  • Sorry for the late reply. It's on for the morning 9:30 set off from pugneys. I'm the fat lad on the grey gt with a blue helmet on. Just to warn you it'll be 20-25 miles off road.
  • What's all this about the Sunday ride from Pugney's?

In Cudworth, Barnsley I ended up tagging along with a couple of guys who said that there are usually rides every Sunday from Pugneys.

Is this a regular thing? And are we ok to just turn up or do you have to be a club member?

Any info would be appreciated, I live in Cudworth and I'm up for riding with others. Tend to go out alone a lot lately.
  • We are trying to get out every week for a ride and when the weather is better and more regulars come we may do days away. Yeah really anyone can turn up that wants have a good with some sort of ability.
  • Oh good. So is there going to be a ride this Sunday at 09:30? Where do you normally meet, what's the route etc?
  • Yeah as far as I know there is this week. Route depends on how everyone feels on the day. Sometimes it's wintersett way and sometimes newall way.
  • Meet-up is outside the cafe at Pugneys. I had a cracking time on my first ride a couple of weeks ago. A great crowd and a good ride and plan to do it again this Sunday