Oil on rear rim

jonmack
jonmack Posts: 522
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I got some oil and crap on my rim and it was squeaking under braking so I took the wheel off, then the tyre off, and cleaned it with car wheel cleaner (foamy type stuff, you spray it on leave it for 30s then hose it off) and now it's working great.

Comments

• sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    A small drop of washing up liquid on a cloth would do it or some meths.
    Should at least one of them at home plus if you can get the meths without the colour ( not so easy unless you know where to look :wink::lol: )
    You also so have some very cheap drink :lol:
  • Seriously, Johnson's Baby Wipes. Excellent for that and general cleaning of frames etc.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Warm water in a bucket with some car shampoo, wash the frame etc first and then do the wheels with a stiff brush.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Brake cleaner, available from car accessory shops.
    Designed for cleaning oil/grease etc off brake disks, works very well on bike rims (or disks if you have them) too.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Fireblade96, you have to be carefull here!

Some of the motor products leave residues, and can degrade performance, especially with discs, as they are super-sensitive to contamination. I've always found with rim brakes, WD-40 (seriously!!) squirted around the braking surface, then thoroughly rubbed off with a cloth works pretty damn well! Meths would be a good idea too!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Metholated spirits.

Acetone is very good, a bit too good it removes the colour from wheel decals aswell.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    +1 for Meths or I recently used the misses Nail Varnish remover worked a charm ... no more squeeky brakes.
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    Seriously, Johnson's Baby Wipes. Excellent for that and general cleaning of frames etc.
    He's not wrong! Simply the best things for getting oil off bikes and hands... Makes you wonder why do we use them on babies????
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Gerry Attrick said
    Johnson's Baby Wipes. Excellent for that and general cleaning of frames etc
    +1 for baby wipes for general cleaning, also a gentle way of cleaning oil and grime off hands. Very useful to take on a tour etc.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    White spirit.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Gt85 on the corner of a rag then rub it round the rim.

Remember to wash the rim afterwards or performance can be variable.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Spray it down with something like "Simple Green". Let it work for a moment. Hose it off
    with water. 5 minutes, tops. Go riding.
  • i got oilon my disc brake on my MTB, i manages to get it off the rim but it will take a while to get oil off the brake blocks (just by using them that is ).
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    i got oilon my disc brake on my MTB, i manages to get it off the rim but it will take a while to get oil off the brake blocks (just by using them that is ).

If you get oil on your disc pads then ideally you need to replace them, as they will have become contaminated and wont work as well as they originally did.