Building a skills course at my school

dazzerus
dazzerus Posts: 29
edited May 2009 in Routes
I am putting mountain biking onto my PE curriculum at the school i am Head of PE at in Hull. I have got an area roughly 100m2 in area. I want to put in some moguls, jumps, drop offs, raised wooden track pieces etc. Anyone ever done this sort of thing before who can give me any tips or advice or contacts?
Cannondale F4
Specialized Allez

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I went to Shugborough outdoor activity centre (I am a yr 6 teacher). They had a small skills area with a seesaw built over an old oil drum type thing, a shallow pit with a plank about 2-3m long for balance, a couple of berms and about a 40cm drop off. There were a few other bits too.

Contact info HERE
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    CAN I COME BACK TO SCHOOL :D
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    See saw: I went over one of these built over a fallen tree trunk in Ashton Court some years ago. All the kids were having a great time, so I followed. Unfortunately the plank had moved a bit and didn't drop as I got to the other end, I rode straight off the end and face planted from about 2 metres! It was a bloody affair but caused great amusement to all :oops:

I made a bloody, hasty and embarrassed exit!
  • dazzerus
    thanks alot for the info
    great i will give them a ring and see what they say.
    Cannondale F4
    Specialized Allez
  • ooo a school with no health and safety officer? interesting!!
  • dazzerus
    sadly we do hence the research, would have had it sorted by now if not for the red tape of the H&S brigade. saying that its no more than doing rugby etc interms of potential dangers.
    Cannondale F4
    Specialized Allez
  • p.fitz
    p.fitz Posts: 66
    it`ll never happen....they shut schools when its snowey in case one of our little angels falls and sues.........But you have my full support it`ll be brilliant and i may even bring my kids over the bridge to foreign soil......GOOD LUCK....
    Who put that hill there..!!!!!!!!..
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Sir, if I was wearing a hat I would take it off to you. It's nice to see a school thinking outside the box in which PE consists of football, rugby and cross country running. Just a shame it's happening <cough> <mumble> <COUGH> years too late.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • dazzerus
    its when not if, as things in schools are changing, just need rid of a few more 'oldies' then it shud be set fair. The plan is 2 fold, i am initially looking to get a make weight mtb area in place next year before the school in knocked down and rebuilt in 2011 with a purpose built mtb area courtesy of building schools for the future.
    Cannondale F4
    Specialized Allez
  • dazzerus
    Excuse me? That made no sense at all.
  • p.fitz
    p.fitz Posts: 66
    its when not if, as things in schools are changing, just need rid of a few more 'oldies' then it shud be set fair. The plan is 2 fold, i am initially looking to get a make weight mtb area in place next year before the school in knocked down and rebuilt in 2011 with a purpose built mtb area courtesy of building schools for the future.............................................................Translate please
    Who put that hill there..!!!!!!!!..
  • dazzerus
    the school is being rebuilt in 2-3 years time. the new build will have a specific mountain bike area as part of the school.
    Cannondale F4
    Specialized Allez
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    dazzerus wrote:
    I am putting mountain biking onto my PE curriculum at the school i am Head of PE at in Hull. I have got an area roughly 100m2 in area. I want to put in some moguls, jumps, drop offs, raised wooden track pieces etc. Anyone ever done this sort of thing before who can give me any tips or advice or contacts?

I'm not sure exactly what they have included in their MTB set-up, but you may find some useful info here. They have created an MTB facility as well as a mini velodrome.

http://www.burnwoodcommunityschool.ik.o ... /home.ikml

It might also be worthwhile getting in touch with your Regions Go-Ride development manager at British Cycling, as there may be other examples plus also some knowledge about extra training/funding support for ongoing activities.
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... chools.asp

Good luck with this development.
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Dumfries and Galloway Ed dept have mtbing on the curiculum. Mate is top man if you need some info could give you his addy if you wish? They use Ae/Mabie/Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    dazzerus wrote:
    Anyone ever done this sort of thing before who can give me any tips or advice or contacts?

I remember reading in MBUK that Malsis School in Yorkshire have a mountain bike trail. There was an interview with the director of Hope who had helped build it. Might be worth getting in contact with them for some advice??
  • dazzerus
    the burnwood schools mountain bike track is just the sort of thing i am looking for cheers for the info
    Cannondale F4
    Specialized Allez
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    Airienteer wrote:
    dazzerus wrote:
    Anyone ever done this sort of thing before who can give me any tips or advice or contacts?

I remember reading in MBUK that Malsis School in Yorkshire have a mountain bike trail. There was an interview with the director of Hope who had helped build it. Might be worth getting in contact with them for some advice??

I'd forgotten about that one.
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... course.asp