Grenoble to Le bourg d'oisan

ram038
ram038 Posts: 187
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Whats the best\most economical way to get from Grenoble to bourg d'oisan. I am taking the bike over on ryanair to do the Cols. Is it possible to cycle the route? Alternatively s there public transport that I can take my bike on?

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If your bike is in a bag you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a coach or bus. Othersie it's 91 kms.

Couple of useful links here:

http://www.tourism-oisans.com/info-moun ... 4.html#ID2

http://www.bourgdoisansbandb.com/location.html
  • ram038
    andymiller wrote:
    If your bike is in a bag you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a coach or bus. Othersie it's 91 kms.

Couple of useful links here:

http://www.tourism-oisans.com/info-moun ... 4.html#ID2

http://www.bourgdoisansbandb.com/location.html

Thanks for that much appreciated.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <

Is a very jealous person.
  • ram038
    when taking a bike bag can you pack other items in the bag. I propose to pack my tent and sleeping bag in with the bike, would they check at the airport? i can save £60 pound by not checking in bag.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I thought Ryanair where in the process of getting rid of all their check-in staff. There may not be anybody there to bother. I expect the answer may be 'so long as you don't exceed the maximum weight limit per item'. But then again I rarely fly these days so anybody's guess is probably better than mine.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    It's an easy enough route to cycle although the main road can get quite busy.
  • In response to the query about flights and bike bags I have just returned from a trip to the Pyrenees with Ryanair. I managed to get through with my bike bag packed with my bike and a fairly heavy pannier tucked inside no problem. As ever when packing for flights though, ensure it's taped to something inside as you don't really want it flinging around crashing into things.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    You could cycle it, but the road is horribly busy.

You will have no problems taking it on a bus. The driver will load it into the luggage area for you.
  • I agree with Bobtbuilder, that road is busy and I've seen some silly driving up there. I never cycle there and take the car to Bourg d'Oisans to start riding from there.

There are regular buses from Grenoble, and here's a link to the timetable.

http://www.transisere.fr/ftp/FR_Lignes/ ... Oisans.pdf

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • ram038
    Just worked out my travelling. Getting the train from ebbsfleet to Paris , change there for TGV to Grenoble. slightly more expensive than flight but a damn site more convenient. Anyone know if the route from Grenoble to bourg is cycleable or not, i.e busy main road or quite back roads?
  • >> Anyone know if the route from Grenoble to bourg is cycleable or not, i.e busy main road or quite back roads?

You can see my above post - you can ride it, and with the road improvements that have been made over the last couple of years, it's safer than it was. In my opinion, you'd be better taking the bus to Bourg d'Oisans and spending more time there.

If you're getting the train, you arrive right next to the bus station if that helps.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    If you're getting the train, you arrive right next to the bus station if that helps.

Integrated transport systems. Who invented that idea ... :cry::cry:
  • ram038
    Has anyone done the transfer between Gard du Nord and Gard de Lyon in
    Paris? According to my train times schedule I have 40 minutes max to do this.Seems a wee bit tight to me. Can it be done?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    40 mins is plenty providing you have 40 mintues and you know where you are going ie you've worked out your route across Paris. I did it on my Brompton with no probs. But a Brompton just goes in a normal luggage rack and not the guard's van, so you might be cutting it a bit fine with a full sized bike. Plus I think I had a little longer than you about an hour, but I easily did it. You will have to get off the Eurostar pronto and get moving asap because although you might get to the GdL in good time it can be very busy in this station, you will have to find your TGV (tip when looking at the main board search for your TGV by number, it is alot easier to find it this way as there will be masses of them, quite impressive nonetheless seeing loads of TGVs lined up) and then finding the appropriate carriage for your bike and of course you, etc. TGV guards can be very officious and they don't like their train leaving late! In my experience they don't or won't speak English so your French should at least be basic enough to include French courtesy. It might be better to take a large taxi from the Gare du Nord into which you can put your bike but this might be x-pon-seev or cher :D .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • If you are looking for a Grenoble airport transfer, you should visit: http://www.ski-transfers.com/.
    The site will give you quotes directly from airport transfer providers. So, you’ll be able to choose the cheapest one. Moreover, you don’t have to pay any fees!
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    "Has anyone done the transfer between Gard du Nord and Gard de Lyon in
    Paris? According to my train times schedule I have 40 minutes max to do this.Seems a wee bit tight to me. Can it be done?"

I've made the transfer twice with the bike in soft bike-bag each time under 40mins, once on the metro and once in a taxi.
    The metro was fairly awkward cos we did it on a busy sunday afternoon. I'd say the easiest was taxi, it's a 2min walk from the eurostar to the taxi rank, there were plenty of taxis to choose from, try and get either an estate or a people carrier to fit the bike in a bit easier.
    As for getting from Grenoble to Bourg, the bus station is right outside the train station and the bike bags fitted into the storage areas under the bus easy enough and the service was fairly regular.
    Have fun.
  • cycled it the other way on a sun morn ,no prob just make sure of the route. & its not 91 km from grenoble to bourg maybe 50 but its a bit of a grind