My first 10 mile TT.

Tino4444
Tino4444 Posts: 281
edited May 2009 in Amateur race
Hi All,

I have finally plucked up enough bottle to enter my first 10 mile TT!! Very nervous but also excited!! :D

I will be taking part in this next Wednesday evening.

Looking at the list of times from previous weeks I am hopeful that I should be about mid table. I know a TT is for personal goals but I dont really want to be at the bottom of a long list.

Does anyone have any tips that I can take with me?

Cheers,

Tino.
Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!

Comments

• avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    did you have to join the club or is it an open event?
  • Tino4444
    did you have to join the club or is it an open event?

Its an open event but I am considering joining the club too.

Tino.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1 - Get on bike
    2 - Pedal hard for 10 miles.
    3 - Look at time.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Get some tri bars!
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    napoleon, if you don't look at the time until you've finished, I am very impressed.

surely it goes something like

1 - get on bike
    2 - pedal hard for ten miles looking at the time a lot
  • Anonymous
    You don't need anything extra for your first one, it's you against the clock, as you said, you want to improve your own times, not compete with the best...

Having said that I bought a TT bike for this year (not ridden it on the road yet and I've had it 3 months...)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pay attention to the road ahead of you. Keep your eyes on a point some distance down the road and not on your front wheel. This will help you travel in a straighter line and
    let you see ruts in the road ahead of time. Do not watch your legs. Now you're probably saying "WHAT?". Not all people, but some, have the really bad habit of admiring their
    muscular legs as they pedal. Bad idea. Good luck. Time be damned, be safe above all.
  • Anonymous
    Here is some advice from a top US amateur - Ignore the bit about racing licence and some of the other things such as professional/sleeveless jerseys, wear what you want...

Welcome to the world of “The Race of Truth.” Before you go and ask a bunch of questions that have been asked 1000 times on these forums, please read below, and/or use the “search” function located at the top of the loaded page. However, most questions should be answered here.

What you NEED.
    Bike
    Helmet
    Racing license (or purchase a one day)
    Jersey and shorts or skinsuit (no sleeveless and no “professional” jerseys)
    Desire to suffer
    No delusions of grandeur

What will help (yes, even in your first TT)
    Trainer
    Any of the equipment listed below

Before the race

1. Yes, Aerobars will make you faster. No, you shouldn’t put them on the night before the race. Aerobar users often find that the bike is a bit more difficult to control, and the position takes some adaptation, so you should get used to this before you crash/throw your back into spasm.

2. Equipment that will make you Faster? In order: Aerobars (cheap), Aero Helmet (cheap), Power meter (not cheap), Heart rate monitor (cheap), Wind Tunnel (not cheap), deep dish/disc wheels (not cheap), TT bike/frame (not cheap), Disc wheel cover (cheap, but not legal for long), skinsuit (cheap), Ceramics (not cheap), Blah blah blah (none of the rest is cheap)

3. All of the above will not make you as fast as a good aero position (assuming you have aerobars…yes, they are that important), so look at some pictures of Professional TTists (the ones who win). They know what they are doing.

4. Yes, you should get a TT fit by a professional fitter. Chances are, the professional positions you see in the pictures are not going to be compatible with your body. Find out what is.

5. When you go to buy a TT frame (and you will get aero-upgrade-it is if you do enough TTing), expect to pick something up that is roughly 2cm shorter in the top tube than your road bike.

6. If you have to ask, then UCI rules do not apply to you (though in the US, USAC rules do apply. Pretty much any road/tt bike satisfies these rules).

7. If you can manage 260-280 watts for an hour, you are in the realm of a sub-hour 40k.

8. To improve, you need to better your threshold. There are lot’s of methods to do this, but most involve long intervals.

9. Many people find it helpful to preride/predrive the course.

At the race

10. Yes, you will see tens of thousands of dollars worth of TT equipment – sometimes just one person’s bike setup. Believe it or not, though it looks cool, it doesn’t make you as fast as it looks. However, to be competitive at the topmost levels, likely some investment will have to be made.

11. Yes, you should have a stationary trainer for warming up. As for the warm up routine, that is something you will have to discover either in training or through race experience, but the general (though certainly not absolute) rule of thumb is that long TTs require a shorter warm up (20-40 minutes), and shorter TTs require a longer warm up (30-80 minutes). Warm ups do not require race level efforts (though many do some race effort intervals). If you feel that you cannot warm up for the above length of time and still race, you don’t yet have the fitness. Sorry. Go train some more.

12. Stay hydrated. Unless it is a long (greater than 20k) or VERY hot TT, you do not need water during the race and with the exception of an old study showing that a water bottle is more aerodynamic (on a round tubed seat-tube), bottles and drinking are likely to slow you down (Unless you are dehydrated, in which case you need all the help you can get).

13. Get to the line early. Most people who have done this enough have missed/nearly missed their start times. Try to avoid that mistake.

14. You will be provided a hold at the start line (if it is USCF. Local and practice tts may vary) so that you can clip in. Please do not over-gear your start, or you will fall over. Cross chaining is allowed.

15. Do not start too hard.

16. DON’T START TOO HARD.

17. See numbers 15 and 16.

18. Yes, you will suffer. Yes, you need to leave everything on the road. If you can sprint in the end, you did not go hard enough.

19. Race against yourself. Don’t blow up trying to catch anyone or stay with someone who has just passed you. Your goal should be to be able to ask yourself the question at the end, “Could I have gone faster?” and have the answer be, “No.”

20. Overall, have fun. You should try to get better with each successive TT.

For returning sufferers:

Wind tunnel is not cheap (roughly 1k plus airfare) but will make you faster than most anything out there. If you have to choose between bling wheels and wind tunnel, the tunnel will provide you more benefit every time.

Negative Splitting is almost always the best policy (with the exception of significant climbs/wind which should bias your power output toward these slower portions of the race). Negative splitting is the art of increasing power over time such that each subsequent distance should take less time (due to increased power output). Divide into halves, thirds, or quarters. Start reserved, end strong.

Cadence selection should be done according to what you feel. However, be aware that most people will have lower HR with lower cadences, but will feel fatigued more quickly. There is a reason that almost every hour record that has been set in the recent past has shown the rider to have a cadence of right around 100.

Never sacrifice your power meter because it is heavy. Never sacrifice your power meter because you have a more aero wheel. No, Eddy did not need a power meter, but if you have one, why throw away the advantage?

Finally, the little things really do matter. Exposed cables can cost upwards of 10 watts on the road. Poor rolling resistance tires or improper (often too high) tire pressure can cause you on the same order of wattage. This is a LOT. On average, clincher tires have better rolling resistance figures, though tubulars are lighter and can be ridden with a flat. Gloves, short-sleeved skin suits (compared to long sleeved), and certain sunglasses slow you down. Cooling vests have been shown to be of benefit if you want to take things to the extreme.

For Hill Climb TTs

Negative splitting is VERY important here. Also realize that yes, your power output will likely be higher than you can achieve in a flat TT, perhaps on the order of 20 watts or so. Take this into consideration.

Weight is important in a hill climb...usually starting at around 4% or so. Thus, if you have a choice between lightweight and aero, choose lightweight.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    So Tino, are you doing the Calder Clarion event then?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I agree about hydration - drink loads in the 2 hours leading up to it and go to the toilet just before you set off.

Nobody's mentioned food yet - seriously, bring loads of the stuff in a rucksack for afterwards. Bring energy drinks if you can't be bothered. The first time I did a 10 miler TT, I was so glad I had prepared all that stuff beforehand. If you feel you don't need any nutrition afterwards, you obviously didn't give it 100%!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    For a 10mTT i would just have about 500ml of energy drink, go for a piss just before setting off to the start. Then ride like the clappers for 22/23 mins and hope I've got a PB

On finishing, get back to the car and have a recovery drink, unless it is mega hot, you shouldn't need more than that to be honest. I eat when I get home, probably about 2 hours after the event, that will be the same for a 25m TT as well. A decent recovery drink will fill up up as well, and should keep any hunger at bay for a few hours.

Any distance higher and I will let you know after the weekend, I have a 50mTT.

I would say just enjoy it, no doubt it will be painful, but they are a very enjoyable experience. Don't worry about other peoples times, just do the best you can. On our club events times range from 21 mins to 30+ mins, so you get a whole range of different abilities.

Ps For an open event, you must be a member of a CTT affiliated club, though you can enter club evening events as a private entrant.
  • Tino4444
    So Tino, are you doing the Calder Clarion event then?

Yes I am thanks for putting me in touch with them :D

I sent them an email the other day to which they responded to within hours and welcomed me along. I have also been invited on the weekend rides.

Thanks again.

Tino.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    KISS. No tri-bars, no gadgets, no pooter. Just you and the bike.

Eat light an hour or so before - I like scrambled egg or beans on toast. Drink adequately, but not so you need a pee just as you're about to go.

Don't get hung up on equipment, it's a distraction you don't need. The first time you do it you're setting a baseline to beat the following week.

More advice here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... p=15274025
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • nephrocycle
    nephrocycle Posts: 12
    "eat light an hour before"

only if you want to barf at 2 miles!

advice from clubmate "go like F*** and then go harder"
    If your not frothing at mouth at end you have not tried hard enough

TTing seems addictive - be careful before you have your first taste as it will get very expensive!!