Devil Ride - (crash!) update...

PhilWeaver
PhilWeaver Posts: 22
Just a quick update on the Devil Ride - prompted partly by some emails received following my road race crash on Sunday (boy does news travel fast!).
First up, the Devil Ride is 100% on! I will be fit again well before the 12th July (injuries were dislocated shoulder and hip but no fractures - phew!) - I am already out of hospital, walking on crutches and will be back at work later this week. But even if I weren't fit the event is not a one man show and so would be unaffected - the Devil Ride is organised by a group, not an individual, and has detailed plans in place.
The final route has now been confirmed and will be on the event website by the end of this weekend - the final distance is 105 miles, but there is also a half distance option.
If amyone would like a commemorative tee shirt or jersey, please get your entry in soon as the cut off for ordering them is in the next couple of weeks.
Finally - if you fancy doing some of the other events that are taking place at the same venue over the same weekend as part of the Slick 'n' Knobbly cycling festival then please visit http://www.sip-events.co.uk/slick-knobbly-home.html - if you plan to have a crack at Saturday's mountain time trial (what better way to have some fun and sharpen up for the Sunday?!) then please write "Devil Rider" on the back of your entry fee cheque when posting it to the S 'n' K as you will get a discounted £5 entry! Please note for those bringing their families with them that entry to the S 'n' K Youth/Junior events is also now open
See you in July,
Phil.

Comments

• JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Sorry to hear that you`ve taken a tumble Phil, get better soon :D
    James
  • PhilWeaver
    Thanks James :-)
  • sorry to hear of the crash phil.

i feel your pain as i dislocated my left hip and fractured the socket about 10 years ago and it wasn't nice at all. i've got 3 metal screws in there now, but thank god it healed well and i'm still able to ride without any problems. running or anything with impact like that is off limits for me though. have they told you when you'll be able to ride again?
  • OUCH!! Sorry to hear the news. Get better soon.

But don't think that I will be bringing over chocolates and flowers as a get well present next time I visit Epic :lol:
  • PhilWeaver
    i dislocated my left hip and fractured the socket about 10 years ago and it wasn't nice at all. i've got 3 metal screws in there now, but thank god it healed well and i'm still able to ride without any problems. running or anything with impact like that is off limits for me though.
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get off so lightly funkchicken - I was warned on admission to expect much the same but was really very lucky. The doctors spent a day scanning for fractures as they hadn't seen a posterior dislocation of the hip without an accomanying break before.

The speculation is that I got away with it because the hip was pulled out rather than being pushed or collided with, which inevitably breaks some of the socket off - the crash was a multi rider pile-up during a mass sprint (I am not normally the sprinter type being more of a skinny climber sort, but just felt especially strong at the finish this time...) with me being sent over the bars by a rider to my left sliding under my front wheel, resulting in a twisted sumersault effect and the bike sort of swinging over my head :(
    And let's not even talk about road rash....

The feeling is that I could even be back on a bike in a couple of weeks time if I continue to be lucky and recover well...perhaps starting with easy turbo sessions. No sportives or racing for quite a bit longer though - steady mid length stuff for a while.
    don't think that I will be bringing over chocolates and flowers as a get well present next time I visit Epic
    Awwww, go on Philip....chocolate that is....although it tends to get snaffled before you get a chance to eat the stuff :wink:
  • Scott08
    Scott08 Posts: 21
    Thanks for the update Phil and I hope you recover fully soon. Sounds nasty. A tip: stick to sportives and give up that sprinting mallarky :wink:

My other half will be pleased to hear about the half length course :)

Where and when will the course maps be published? I am off down that neck of the woods woth work next week and might get a chance to drive some of the roads to check them out.
  • Ouch!

I have just joined the 'Phil Injured Club' too.

Fell and received a broken collar bone plus road rash but that is nothing compared with your hip smash (I was downed by some plank during a club training ride :roll: )

Hope you get back on the bike soon. All the best.

By the way, it was not on your Orbea :D
  • PhilWeaver
    Flippin eck Phil! I am really sorry to hear about your break - the only good news (apart from the Orbea being OK!) is that collar bones do heal relatively quickly...having broken them a couple of times in the past :?

Hope you are riding soon too - my hip is recovering much faster than anyone expected - but still slower than I would like. I am still limping, but have truned a pedal as there is no impact in cycling and it doesn't involve twisting...unless I go down again of course...maybe I'll avoid club runs too :wink:

Get well soon Phil.