Mark Beaumont's next adventure

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
I thought it'd be good to have a thread to follow him on, and share any links...

BBC and Radio Scotland seem to be taking a lot of interest in Mark's latest adventure - cycling the American Cordillera. They're using all the latest web media so that we can follow him on-line.
    Mark Beaumont Cycling the Americas Blog (RSS feed)
    cyclingamericas on TwitterHear him talking about it on MacAuley and Co (interview at the bottom of the page or Listen Again on iPlayer (20/05/09).

I couldn't decide whether to post here or in Tour and Expedition - admin or mods can move it if they want.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• I thoroughly enjoyed the last programme. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out with teh extra exposure and probably money.
      http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
    • Crapaud
      I thoroughly enjoyed the last programme. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out with teh extra exposure and probably money.
      ... and the extra technology: "Sat links, computer, cameras, solar panels etc to capture the journey". That's quite a bit of weight and bulk to be hauling up long climbs.

Is there more to twitter than short, almost cryptic, posts? They read more like liinks to web pages. I'd join up if there's an extra dimension, but ATM it looks pretty pointless.

Still, he's not away yet. Hopefully it'll be more coherent in a couple of days.
      A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
    • alfablue
      alfablue Posts: 8,497
      Crapaud wrote:
      Is there more to twitter than short, almost cryptic, posts? They read more like liinks to web pages. I'd join up if there's an extra dimension, but ATM it looks pretty pointless.

Still, he's not away yet. Hopefully it'll be more coherent in a couple of days.
      Twitter is limited to 140 characters per entry, because it is aimed at mobile phone SMS use.
    • LorneC
      LorneC Posts: 149
      As far as text you are limited to 140 characters - keeps things short and sharp.

However you can also take photos and post them to twitpic or yfrog and then they are included on your twitter feed. you can link to websites, etc.
      Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
      AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
      AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
    • Crapaud
      Wayhey! Picsof the first few days are up. The ones of the mountains make me pine for the Rockies. :(

Still don't like Twitter. It's like listening to only one side of a converstion.
    • Crapaud
      ... The documentary series which will be on in March in the UK is going to be very different. ...
      Roll on March. :)