Gothenburg - Tamworth via north sea cycle route, advice need

dan_seed
dan_seed Posts: 2
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am thinking of a cycle tour next summer that would invole cycling from Gothenburg, where i am currently living, to Tamworth, my home town. I would like to use the North sea cycle route and then cut inland to the midlands.

I am quite a keen mountain biker and have dabbled in road biking but have never done any kind of multiday touring. This obviously means i have a few questions......

How far do you think i should be able to complete every day?
I believe the route is about 2500km and therefore will take a few weeks...how many days off cycling do you think I would need per week?
Do you think a Kona Jake would be suitable for this type of tour? If not should I be looking at a more dedicated touring bike or using a mountain bike with slicks/ marathon tyres?
What type of training should I be planning?

The current thinking is that I will be carrying minimal luggage as my GF will be driving the route and thus carrying most of the gear

Any other advice on this type of trip would be appreciated.

Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dan sorry I cant help but WTF are you mad.

Have you talked to Matt about it? bet he has some ideas.

Nick
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    2500 sounds like too many km - I cycled Hook to Stavanger via Oresund and Helsingbord last year and it was less - 20 days continuous in very varied autumn weather for a portly 50+ geezer with 25kg of luggage

If you are not carrying any luggage apart from what you need on the road for the day then an average of 120km a day on that bike would be no problem - with plenty of daylight and reasonable weather you ought to be able to push it to a lot more - only you will really know what you are capable of - need to allow for probably cycling into the wind going south to whatever crossing you are going to use 75%- going the other way was very good for strong tailwinds

Riding light you ought to be able to keep going especially as you will be accompanied by someone who can sort out the food and laundry issues - good idea to get out and do some 2hr plus rides if you can - I myself do not specifically train for touring, just keep my general fitness at a reasonable level for someone of age