Look Keo Sprint cleat problem

Wanttogofaster
Wanttogofaster Posts: 12
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Hi all

This is my first post so I hope I've put it in the correct place.

I've recently changed my Specialized shoes for Shimano ones (as I believe the Specialized ones were causing a recurring tendon issue in lower leg but I wont go into that) and my pedals for Look Keo Sprints. My problem with these is I assume I should have the same amount of float in left and right directions when the cleats are positioned correctly. I initially aligned the cleats so my feet sat as I walk but when I pedal my feet always want to rotate outwards (away from cranks) so I have no float left in this direction. This occurs no matter how I position the cleats. I've tried the two rotation extremes and many angles in between.

I tried my old Time RXS pedals and old shoes and I have the same problem there which may have caused my tendon problem.

Can someone please let me know if my assumption is correct. Also any advice on how to stop this outward rotation would be great. I walk with my feet pointing outwards very slightly.

Cheers

Comments

• 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Hi,

With regards to "any advice on how to stop this outward rotation would be great. I walk with my feet pointing outwards very slightly", am I right in thinking you mean how to stop your feet rotating outwards? I don't think this is something you can really stop as such - you will probably find that your feet rotate outwards more as you lean forward to reach the bars, compared to an upright walking position. It never hurts to do a lot of stretching though.

With regards to the problem with your cleats, it sounds as though you need cleats with more float, as there are three different kinds of Keo cleats available. I use Keo Sprints myself, and I've changed from the 4.5 degree float cleats (the gray ones) to the 9 degree float pedals (the red ones) in order to be able to turn my feet out a little more. If this isn't enough, you might like to look at Speedplay - they do systems with even more float. Never used them myself, but many people swear by them!

Cheers,
    STeve
  • Thanks Steve.

It's not that I want to stop my feet rotating out. I am puzzled as to why with the cleat in the two extremes (point to/away from cranks as much as possible) my feet are still rotated out to the point that an are at any further rotation releases the cleat from the pedal. This indicates that my feet haven't reached their neutral position - I think.

With regards to the float I already have the red Keo cleats for maximum float and have masses of float in the direction of the crank and none away from them.

I am a bit loathe to swap to Speedplay pedals just yet as I have only just purchase the Look ones and have only done 2 rides. Wanting to ensure cleats are right before any more. Besides do the Speedplay ones have that much more float?

Cheers
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Does anyone know how many degrees the old red Delta cleats 'floated'?
  • You need to re-position the cleats on your shoes to allow your feet more outwards movement. There is usually stacks of adjustment with Keos.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.