How often do you fall?

13»

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    supersonic wrote:
    I was doing fine till I had a big one the other week. :lol:

I usually wait until I get home for that, hate having a dump in the open ;-)
    I have to disagree, it`s one of life`s greatest pleasures, shiting in the woods.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    I was looking forward to the MBR in Coed y Brenin this Sunday, 'til reading this thread in its entirety! :shock: Best get some body armour sorted, seeing as I've still got a broken finger, (although my ripped ankle tendons are 90% there!), AND THAT WAS JUST BY WALKING DOWN SNOWDON!! :roll:
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    I've not had a good bail in a long time thinking about it, I could probably do with one.

I always get scared of bailing, then I have one and realise it's not as bad as I remember and my confidence seems to grow.

I must be doing it wrong.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    I was out all day on sunday, tearing around local trails. It was really slippy (had been raining heavy and the tree canopy doesn't let much sun through).

Was with a mate and ended up really pushing each other. Didn't fall once.

Finished off the day with a couple of pints a the Roundhay Fox pub which is at the top of Roundhay Park in Leeds.

On the way back home (sticking to the very busy footpaths), I charged down a huge hill, must have hit about 40mph.

As I rejoined the path, probably still doing around 30mph or just less, there was a large group of people immediately in front of me so I tried to do a 6 inch bunny hop up to my right to get onto a grass verge and avoid them.

Completely misjudged it and the front wheel just gripped the stone edge of the verge, twisting right under me and sending both me and the bike somersaulting through the air.

I didn't even feel a thing! The people I narrowly missed looked genuinely worried about me and said it looked like a spanked really hard, but I didn't have a scratch.

Weird how crashes work out sometimes. Crashing at 30mph = no injury. Crashing at 5mph trying to negotiate a bit of singletrack the week before and I end up bashing every part of my body on roots, trees and rocks!
  • Banned!
    Banned! Posts: 34
    kids, never have a couple of pints and then ride your bike.

you will go to jail.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    how are you supposed to nail that massive drop that you've been hesitating over for the previous few weeks? :wink:

Some of the most amazing runs I've ever had on a snowboard have been after a few beers. Helps take the edge off.

I did the mulde this year near Flachau, and it is the type of run you just can't do without some sort of confidence booster. 2 guys had died there the week before so I was bricking it.

What a run though. 6 miles of the steepest powder fields I have ever ridden in 51 weeks worth of boarding. Drops, chutes, trees and rocks everywhere. You've just got to let your experience lead the way in times like that (and a guide obviously) because hesitancy is often the quickest route to disaster.

I'm obviously not advocating getting smashed, but a couple of drinks does let your experience take over and your body just get on with the job at hand.

Bottle is often more important than reaction times when you're talking about big mountain boarding.

In saying that, we had a 2 hour hike back out of the mulde, in waist deep powder, after a couple of pints. I kind of regretted it then! :wink:
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    edited June 2009
    If downhilling then I expect to fall off.

Anything else and I'll usually not fall off.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Dancake
    Dancake Posts: 47
    Every ride, I will always have

At least 1 SPD related topple
    At least one front wheel washout
    ..and More alarmingly, 2 rides in a row have had an over-the-bars-right shoulder/ head into the floor tumble...(the first one put the willies up me and my shoulder still hurts , the second one was just plain rubbish riding)

Since then, steps, rocky declines just faze me and I feel I will fall off any minute..Stay calm and let go of that brake!
  • stunter ant
    stunter ant Posts: 213
    If im pushing my pace DH erm.. then i fall quite abit,normally on the same section untill ive found the max speed I can ride it and then move on. Its just how i learn tracks and get faster :)

Rite now i have a broken ankle so no falls in last 3 weeks or in the next 8 weeks :(
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633
  • Had my second big(ish) fall tonight. Went down a steep hill and up a jump I've done many times before but tried to avoid the pool of water in the middle. Ended up heading towards a tree and applied the brakes too hard. Result = me flying over handlebars. At least it didn't hurt (much).

Not doing very well am I?
  • Jayske
    Jayske Posts: 26
    I have been riding for 12 months this month and have done over 3000 xc miles.

I never owned a bike before but raced motocross bikes for 7 years.

My balance has improved in the last 12 months and has helped me save every crash + having the correct riding position in any situation means that touch wood i am yet to come off. :lol:
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    More often than not, I fall off going up hill. Happens ever other ride :D
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Depends, if it's round my local route, then I don't ever really... but if its new, chances are I'll have to inspect the dirt a little closer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    fallen twice now (1once hit my nogging with Helmet on on a rock) and shoulder was injured for nearly 3 weeks, 2nd time went over the bars doing a Downhill rockgarden (Pitfichie, aberdeenshire) and bent my left hand all the way back..

3rd time wasn't really an off as such, but the pedal points went into my shin and made a tasty scar on my leg... A&E for tentanus in the bum bum..

so 2.5 times I a year......looking forward to more now..lol
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    I've only fallen off recently trying to do a Bunnyhop whilst standing still with SPDs turning round whilst waiting for the other cyclists, lost my balance and just fell over to the side; proper embarrassing bruv! 8)
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Me = pretty much every single ride.

The rub is, my regular cycling partner who rides his wifes ancient womens spec Giant Rock, complete with "Baby-Got-Back" cushioned and sprung saddle, has never taken a tumble. (Which is fortunate since he refuses to wear a lid).

My offs usually follow the same format.
    I find a new section of trail - get all excited and start cranking the pedals as fast as I can - realise I'm outside my comfort zone - tense up - crash.
    Or - see a scary section of trail or a drop, bottle it first time, stand round talking about it for 5 mins, decide to go for it anyway - tense up - crash.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Jonesy.
    Jonesy. Posts: 94
    I managed to fall off my bike while stationary yesterday. I stopped for a drink and used a big log to lean against while still sitting on the saddle. The log decided to roll over suddenly and I scraped the side of my leg along the chainrings as I collapsed. I just managed to get up before a bunch of lads came over the hilltop, at which point I pretended that nothing had happened and hoped they wouldn't notice my bleeding leg.
    3638691414_5b54d86f20.jpg
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i'd say i crash every 30mins on average lol