racing in a group

that person wot rides a b
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
i'm going to do my first race on saturday, and am a competent cyclist, and am sure i'll be ok with speed, etc.

but i was wondering what you should do about racing in a group, moving forward, backwards - being from a posh part of britain doesn't help, and i'm slightly worried that i'll end up having to ask the person in front of me, "i'm sorry, do you mind, can i come in front of you, so i can get to the front of the bunch, and then attack off it???", or something along those lines...

anyway, i was hoping some more experienced bunch racers of the forum could give me some tips on how to do things like this, because, most importantly, i don't want to pose a risk to other members of the bunch.

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Have you ridden in any kind of group before?

I've just started racing and tbh the biggest thing I'm struggling with is being in a group. I can just about keep up the pace on the straights (well, with the tailenders anyway :cry: ) but lose so much time in the corners I'm fighting a losing battle.

You have that many people moving around you it's hard to know what to do - cut the corner properly and risk cutting people up, try and avoid those cutting you up or hope they know what they're doing etc etc.

So yeah, after 2 races I can only say get comfortable riding within a group and then worry about tactics. Well, that and - if you've never ridden in a group or raced don't be surprised if you end up getting dropped a lot faster than you'd hoped!

(See Bronzie - I told ya I'd swing by and sort this place out :wink: )
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    but i was wondering what you should do about racing in a group, moving forward, backwards - being from a posh part of britain doesn't help, and i'm slightly worried that i'll end up having to ask the person in front of me, "i'm sorry, do you mind, can i come in front of you, so i can get to the front of the bunch, and then attack off it???", or something along those lines....

You won't need to do that - racing is often/usually very hectic and messy (and fast-paced) - in so far as gaps open, you can make progress if you've got the legs at that particular point, if not, you can't - just sit-in until others waver (if they do) - when in the bunch, don't do any sudden movements/changes of direction/slowing down etc etc, just keep your riding consistent and predicatable - if it's your first race, just try and hang on for aslong as possible - try and stay in the front 3rd on the bunch (although that can be more difficult than it seems) - don't be too disheartened if you get dropped - happens to most people in their first couple of races.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    jam1e wrote:
    (See Bronzie - I told ya I'd swing by and sort this place out :wink: )
    Cool - the more people hanging out in here the better :)

To the OP - if you can talk at all during a race, it's likely to be a couple of words rather than stringing whole sentences together! :wink:

The most important thing is to hold your line at all times and ride in a predictable manner when in the bunch - no sudden changes in direction or speed. To move up, gradually make your way over to the outside of the bunch, having had a quick glance over your shoulder to make sure it's clear - make sure you don't veer off course as you do this. Then you can accelerate up the outside if you have the legs.

If you feel someone is crowding you out you can give the a gentle reminder that you are there by saying "Inside" or something like that or even just a gentle tap on their hip to let them know you are there, but make sure you are still in control of your bike,

Hope it goes well and remember - it's supposed to be fun! :P
  • thanks for the replies - i've riden in a group before, so no problems there. not too worried about the pace, because i've done a few time trials, and come second every time to the same person, (who has formally been national youth cyclo cross champion, i think). i don't think it will be a very large bunch - it's only the youth summer series at redbridge cycling centre. has anyone been there before - only i'm not too sure about the hill there is there. is it big, small, or steep?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    The hill at Redbridge isn't too bad, gets steeper around the bend at the top. I am not the greatest hill climber in the world, but I did it in my large chainring whilst racing there back in March. I would say the hill is 15 to 20 secs long.

Redbridge is a nice facility, with smooth tarmac, and wide.
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    THe Hill's not too bad, as long as you get your gearing right for it. I think a lot of people worry needlessly about it and let it beat them rather then than the competition.

If its your first race, just follow wheels for the fisrt few laps until to feel confident, then ride as you want re attacking etc. Remeber to keep you line in bends and no sudden switching.
  • Dess1e wrote:
    THe Hill's not too bad, as long as you get your gearing right for it. I think a lot of people worry needlessly about it and let it beat them rather then than the competition.

thanks Dess1e - i'm still riding a racing bike with 3 chainrings. a 53 40sometihing 39. shock horror. its got an 11/12-25 on the back though - but if i can get up the Tormalet on it, then i think i can get up redbridge, which from the sounds of it isn't too long, so a bit like interval training really, and i do plenty of that.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    No one's mentioned the word "club" yet. Think about joining a decent club so you can hook up with people to ride with during the week, this will help your group riding skills.
  • thanks for all the advice - sadly - being at the lower end of my age catagory, and only fairly recently onto clipless pedals, i had some trouble getting my foot in at the start, and then spent some good energy catching up with the bunch, only for the pace to be WAY too fast for me, (was around 22mph, but for the whole race). also, everyone there had bikes worth about 4 times as much as my own, which i was really surprised by. then, to top it all, nobody would help me and do through and off to get back to the bunch, which ended up with about 8 people in it, who were all at the very top of my age group. the hill through me a bit, i didn't expect it to be that steep! i'll probebly do some tts, as i broke/ would have broken the half hour barrier for a 10. thanks agian for all the advice.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Well done for giving it a go anyway.

Races, especially shorter circuit races, go fast and tend to be pretty enthusiastic right from the start. Practice getting your start right so you can hang around in the bunch. It's a shame nobody would work with you, but that tends to happen in the lower category races, everyone just sits in waiting for something to happen.

If the speed was just too much, try giving a chaingang or harder group rides a go. They're great race simulators but a lot more co-operative.

Good luck in your next race.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    thanks for all the advice - sadly - being at the lower end of my age catagory, and only fairly recently onto clipless pedals, i had some trouble getting my foot in at the start, and then spent some good energy catching up with the bunch, only for the pace to be WAY too fast for me, (was around 22mph, but for the whole race). also, everyone there had bikes worth about 4 times as much as my own, which i was really surprised by. then, to top it all, nobody would help me and do through and off to get back to the bunch, which ended up with about 8 people in it, who were all at the very top of my age group. the hill through me a bit, i didn't expect it to be that steep! i'll probebly do some tts, as i broke/ would have broken the half hour barrier for a 10. thanks agian for all the advice.

Don't give up! You need to build up some experience, that's all. Nolf is right. Try and get on some chaingangs because that is the closest you will get to replicating race speeds in a slighty less competative environment. They won't be easy to start with, but you will get used to them and you will improve if you so them regularly.

Find the right sort of circuit for you too. I can't get round the corners on crits (too tall & heavy) and I can't get up the steep hills for the same reason, give me a decent flat road course though and I can mix it with the best of them.

Road racing is much more fun that TT's, it just takes some time to learn how it ebbs and flows. TT's are good for helping build your speed though, so keep them going too!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Kléber wrote:
    No one's mentioned the word "club" yet. Think about joining a decent club so you can hook up with people to ride with during the week, this will help your group riding skills.

+1
  • Have a look at the Hillingdon races if the hill isn't to your liking. Use the first races as interval sessions and learn how they 'work', how others ride and what to do and when. Don't worry about results - they'll come later.