Wibbly wobbly rattly rear wheel........

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Hello all,

my girlfriends commuter, a Ridgeback Velocity, is getting on in years now, and was originally a 2nd hand purchase from ebay anyway.

Today I noticed the back wheel rattles, and on furthe rinspection discovered that it moves about between the brake blocks, when sat on the floor, but the QR is plenty tight.

I am pretty sure it is something to do with the wheel itself, so am thinking either freewheel/hub, or cassette somehow?

Any suggestions as to where to start? Or is it best to just get a new wheel, if so, any recommendations? Cheap and cheerful would suffice.

And is it a death trap as it stands??

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Are the spokes loose? Are any broken?

I would be reluctant to ride it if I thought it was the spokes.
  • daniel_b
    Na the spokes seem rock solid, it just seems to 'move' when you push against it with your finger, it's like it is not anchored to the hub maybe...?

The QR lever and skewer are obviously fine, and attached properly, so it must be something to do with the setup elsewhere.

Perhaps get her to take the mtb for the rest of the week until we can have a proper look at it.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sounds like play in the hub caused by loose hub cones:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The hub bearings need adjustment. Take it to a bike shop, and ask if you can watch them do it so that you know for next time.

However, if it's been ridden while loose, the hub may be dead. Again, a shop will advise.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    My bloke broke his rear hub once. He does give it some welly and he's a tall lad, bless him... Sounds similar, anyway :)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for that everyone, reckon we will have a go at the weekend, and if it looks like it's beyond our capabilities will take it the 5 minute walk to the LBS,

It won't get used until it's fixed.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would whip the wheel out and get the cones off before then as you may find 1 you need some cone spanners. 2 the ball may have fallen out. 3 the bearing races may be pitted and damaged which would mean a new hub/wheel.

info in Jon link above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Could also be a broken axle. Obvious if it is as the whole lot will come apart if you take the QR skewer out of the axle.

Mike
  • daniel_b
    Thanks all, might be able to start the investigations tonight or tomorrow,

We're probably going to go for a new cassette and chain while we are at it.

If it does need a whole new hub, would it be more prodent to just buy a new wheel?

Would merlin be the place to go, or somewhere else?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    hub is probably on way out, that probably means new wheels as i would assume the rims are fairly shot as well?

on my cheap and nasty heavy town bike i just feed it cheap wheels once they start to go.

run your hands down the rim, and take the wheel out and spin it, probably find it's pritty bad.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Usually the cost of replacing a hub costs about the same as a new wheel.

if it is time to get a new wheel this might be a cheap option :
    for 26" wheels (mountain bike size wheels)

or

700c size wheels (road bike size wheels)
  • ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    Is it a loose bearing hub or a sealed cartridge bearing hub? If it is loose bearing it's probably the adjustments of the hub.
  • daniel_b
    Hello all,

sorry for the massive delay, we have been distracted with quite a few things including a sportive last weekend, but managed to get to it this afternoon.

Took the wheel and QR off, removed cassette, noticed the wobbly side had nasty looking bearings and a lot of dirt in it, the other side noticeably cleaner looking.

Took all the bearings out, flushed it through with GT85 and then some hot water, my gf cleaned the cassette up, put some new bearings in in nice new grease, bolted it all together, and it seems to have fixed it :D

Well pleased, of course will have to see how long it lasts, but if it gives another 6 months use, it will have been worth it.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated,

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18