Numb toes!

Fat Bird
Fat Bird Posts: 23
edited May 2009 in Women
Hi everyone,
I'm new to bike radar but spotted the great forum. I'm after a bit of advice really. I've recently started riding with a view to competing in Race the Sun in September. I'm riding to work everyday (about 15 miles round trip) and up to about 25 at the weekends but after about 6-7 miles my toes in my right foot go numb! I thought it might be due to the saddle (not women specific). I tried adjusting the height but it hasn't made any difference. Has anyone had similar problems and is a women specific saddle worth investing in?
Any advice greatfully received!

Emma

Comments

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Not meaning to sound daft but are your shoes to tight? I know from experience :wink: and the fact that your feet don't flex means that they can cause numbness. If you are unsure try sitting through a film wearing them.

PS like the user name but it really ought to be mine :lol:

Becks
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • I agree, mine go numb sometimes and I'm convinced it's coz my shoes are too tight. Over the winter, I was wearing thicker socks and my feet were way too cramped up in my riding shoes - I'll be getting a bigger size next time!
  • I get numb ones too, but I think my problem is my pedals :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I get numb toes with my skate shoes (I'm a flattie pedal fan), but only when I'm driving, not when walking or biking. :/
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I get numb toes with my SPDs but not skate shoes :lol:

I think it may because my shoes are wee bit too tight. I have flippers. Narrow heel and really wide at the toes.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Ditch Witch
    Oh, also check the angle of your seat.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • Fat Bird
    Fat Bird Posts: 23
    Thank you all for your posts. I have to say I was a little sceptical..I mean how could I have been cycling for the last four months and not have noticed my shoes were too tight?!
    But yes it looks like I did! You may be pleased to hear that I managed the whole ride home today without numb toes!!!!!!!

My next question is does anyone know how to lose weight on a diet of chocolate and red wine?!................
  • Ditch Witch
    yes, don't eat anything else :lol:
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk