Best place to watch the TDF in Paris

willco
willco Posts: 7
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Hi Folks

I will finally be in Paris for end of the Tour this year. Where is the best place to watch and how early should we get there due to road closures etc

Thanks
Will

Comments

• hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    on the telly........................... :lol:

sorry
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    To be honest - not a lot of the roads are closed so it's still pretty easy to move around the city.

Best place to watch - anywhere there's a big corner and the riders have to slow down. Top end of the Champs Elysee where they have to do a 180 degree turn is probably a good bet!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you want the atmosphere then take folding chairs and rain kit and a book and settle in early.....

TV is definitely the best if you want to see whats going on though !
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Place de la Concorde - get there for 09.30
  • stueyh
    stueyh Posts: 14

This is true as you also get a good massive screen to watch too, The Concorde end of the Tulleries was about the least chlostrophobic view and also you have toilets nearby.

Forget about close up action, it's too fast, but hang about after the race up the Champs Elysees and get them messing about in the parade. Loads of photo ops and up closeness.

Alternatively for watching the finish or podium, get yourself to Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau metro station and hang about there although it does get very busy.

Great day out though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TdF.jpg
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    stueyh wrote:

This is true as you also get a good massive screen to watch too, The Concorde end of the Tulleries was about the least chlostrophobic view and also you have toilets nearby.

Forget about close up action, it's too fast, but hang about after the race up the Champs Elysees and get them messing about in the parade. Loads of photo ops and up closeness.

Alternatively for watching the finish or podium, get yourself to Champs-Élysées - Clemenceau metro station and hang about there although it does get very busy.

Great day out though.

Where abouts is the big screen? Normally I am 3/4 of the way up Champs Elysees but wouldn't mind a change this year. Isn't a lot of Place de la Concorde closed off normally?
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    I stand on the little hill where the Tuilleries meets place de la concorde every year. Great view, can see the big screen, and get up champs elysee later when parade is going on. Also don;t need to get there too early. We left bar at 2 last year and still got a great spot
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • bulldicker
    bulldicker Posts: 61
    we watched at the top of the champs elysees by the turn managed to get a spot on the wall of the underpass which gave a great vantage point
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Near the turn, buy the underpass?? Is that by the Arc De Triomphe? Me and the Mrs got roasted there last year. They pass slowly at the top of the Champs Elysees and also the riders have their photos taken there afterwards so good shots are easy. I have a hum dinger of a shot of Carlos Sastre and son. I would show it but I don't know how to post photos on here. Humph!!
    This was good- Royal Elysees Hotel, 6 Avenue Victor Hugo, Paris, France was perfectly adequate place to stay. Need a coat of paint maybe (I'm a Painter and Decorator)? We got a good deal 150 Euros for 2 for 2 nights. 200 yards from the action and 100 yards from the Arc de Triomphe.
    My folks don't run this place but compared to the Formula 1in St Ouen, Rue de Dr Babinsky it was paradise.
    Trying to not do Formula 1 again; would rather camp in the street.
    Ciao Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Near the turn, buy the underpass?? Is that by the Arc De Triomphe? Me and the Mrs got roasted there last year. They pass slowly at the top of the Champs Elysees and also the riders have their photos taken there afterwards so good shots are easy. I have a hum dinger of a shot of Carlos Sastre and son. I would show it but I don't know how to post photos on here. Humph!!
    This was good- Royal Elysees Hotel, 6 Avenue Victor Hugo, Paris, France was perfectly adequate place to stay. Need a coat of paint maybe (I'm a Painter and Decorator)? We got a good deal 150 Euros for 2 for 2 nights. 200 yards from the action and 100 yards from the Arc de Triomphe.
    My folks don't run this place but compared to the Formula 1in St Ouen, Rue de Dr Babinsky it was paradise.
    Trying to not do Formula 1 again; would rather camp in the street.
    Ciao Jerry

:shock:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Last time I was in Paris for the finish I watched on the Rue du Rivoli just after the corner from the tunnel. Saw LA whizz past in different colour shorts and thought he had lost the malliot juane and spent a fortune on mobile internet access trying to find out who had the lead then he came round again with the number 1 on his bike so panic over.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stueyh
    stueyh Posts: 14
    alanmcn1 wrote:
    I stand on the little hill where the Tuilleries meets place de la concorde every year. Great view, can see the big screen, and get up champs elysee later when parade is going on. Also don;t need to get there too early. We left bar at 2 last year and still got a great spot

BenBlyth there is a big screen near the finish line at Monceau metro station, good wee open area there with food vans, beer vans and easy access to the tube. There i also one up at the Concorde facing the Tuilleries as alanmcn1 says. I was on my own last year so done a bit of moving about and this was the spot to be I reckon. Unless your willing to sit or stand and fight for your place elsewhere.

I remember that the metro missed out the Tuilleries stop around the last hour or so of the race, probably down to overcrowding but you can still get off at the next one and walk down. n1315642098_60664_8565.jpg
  • willco
    willco Posts: 7
    Hi Folks

Thanks to you all for your advice - i'm sure that we will find a good spot as a result.

Cheers
    Will
  • JayD77
    JayD77 Posts: 11
    FYI the metro stop at Pl Concord (Tuiliers) is closed from 14h to 19h for TDF '09. Other stops are within easy walking distance. I suggest Musée du Louvre on ligne 1, or Assemblée Nationale on ligne 12 as good alternatives.
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    Whistle stop tour for me - flying out from Brum at 9am, back from Paris at 9pm! What a day out!