Homebrew chainlube?

rubberjungle
rubberjungle Posts: 54
edited May 2009 in Workshop
Was wondering what people use for their lube.
I have started using some gearbox oil I had in the garage which I have decanted into an empty chain lube bottle and just wipe off the excess instead of paying £££.
I use it neat without thinning.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Was wondering what people use for their lube.
    I have started using some gearbox oil I had in the garage which I have decanted into an empty chain lube bottle and just wipe off the excess instead of paying £££.
    I use it neat without thinning.
    Any thoughts?

To be honest, it's lube, and chains need lube. There is all kinds of banter back and forth
    about which bike lube is "the best". Years ago the joke used to be "what's the lube of the week?". It's getting almost as bad as the food supplement market. Each week a new
    "greatest thing" seems to come out that your body can't live without. Same with lubes.
    We all fall for it in varying degrees, when all we really need is a bit of oil and grease now and then. Sad part is that your bike drive train will run just as well on cheap oil and grease as it will on some 10 dollar, 2 ounce bottle of so called "super lube". All that being said I use that 10 dollar bottle of "super lube" but I'm not really sure why. I guess I got sucked into the whole thing like everyone else.
    You probably stand alone in your thinking. I salute you for seeing the light. I envy you
    for being able to resist the tremendous marketing pressures that many of us fall for. :wink:

Dennis Noward
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In the winter I'm with you. A chain need frequent cleaning and lubrication, and in the interests of economy I've used all sorts of stuff including gearbox oil and motor oil, lubed to excess and wiped off thoroughly. Sometimes I've skimped on the wiping, and ended with black goo being thrown onto the chainstay (messy) and back wheel rim (scary) but the drivetrain stays silent and rust free.

In the summer when water / salt / rust isn't a constant threat I'm switching to a drier, lighter lube to reduce the adhesion of dirt.

One thing I never do is degrease the chain
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I do the same, I haven't bought special chain oil for years. I use the bit of oil left in the can after filling my car, decanted into a little dropper bottle if I can find it, otherwise dribbled on gracelessly from the lid.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Agree with the other posters. Only advantage of the special lubes is that they can be a little less messy after a few miles of dirtiness.
  • RimTape
    RimTape Posts: 243
    I use two chains per bike.

When I swap them I put the dirty chain in a tub of diesel and give it a good thrashing around.

Then I take it out and leave it in a tub of engine oil for afew days/weeks.

Then I take it out and wioe it clean before replacing the dirty on with the cleaned one.

I tend to just change the chain rather than lube.

Works for me anyhow.

Cheers
    Velox
  • I use either spray grease designed for motorbike chains (quite cheap) or engine oil mixed with a bit of diesel put on with an oil can (very cheap).
    The important thing is to do it regularly and, particularly after a wet ride, wipe the chain first.