Oban, Scotland

jake_clyro
jake_clyro Posts: 41
edited May 2009 in Routes
Hi

I'm going on holiday to Oban next week and planning on getting a bit of riding in.

Can anyone reccomend anywhere to go for a beginner/intermediate. I mainly do XC and single track stuff.

Also, has anyone ever used Nokia maps for ride routes. I have just got an E71 and noticed that MPAs function. Not really played around with it much yet though.

Thanks
You've got to burn it to earn it!!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    As far as I understand it, Nokia Maps will not navigate a route you upload to it, rather, it will select a route between two places based on fastest, shortest or "optimised" (whatever that is!) options. It would re-calculate continually if you venture off the selected route though, so you could vary things a bit. My guess is that by setting it to "shortest" you will tend to get the quietest roads.

Once off road it won't navigate, it will just say "not on a road" but it will still show your position on the map.

However, I was unaware of the MPA function (map layer something...) - what does that do?
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Try Barcaldine Forest cycle trails four miles north of Oban at Benderloch. A singletrack road links the two places and the forest is full of fire breaks, narrow paths and uncharted territory. Check OS map for various trails either side of the dead end road to Bonawe.
  • Boabie38
    Boabie38 Posts: 27
    I went over to an island just opposite a small ferry runs back and forth all day, (when I say ferry I mean more of a boat that 2 cars can fit onto), a good mornings /afternoon cycling, starts of as a path and then gets pretty rough, lots of loose gravel and land rover tracks. This was the route that got me back into cycling and top it all off 2 Tornado jets went screaming over when I reached the peak, could not have timed it better.

The local bike shop in Oban told me about it. Sorry cant rember the name of the island. It's a 5 minute boat trip.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    The island off Oban is called Kerrera - there isn't much on the island - no cars allowed but has a cool castle down one end of it and a tearoom (its a while since I was there though)