Route through Glasgow to Loch Lomond

moray_gub
moray_gub Posts: 3,328
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi

My mountain bike is getting some warranty work done in Dales cycles next week, so rather than drive come back home again i am going to take my road bike up round Loch Lomond and up round Tarbet area for a 70 odd mile blast . So what i am looking for is a route from Dobbies Loan to the A82 Bowling area dont really fancy going via Great Western Road .Is there a national cycle route that will take me up there from the city centre area.

thanks
MG
Gasping - but somehow still alive !

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Moray Gub wrote:
    ... Is there a national cycle route that will take me up there from the city centre area.
    You'd have to follow the NCN route 75 west, then join route 7 north. That'll take you through Clydebank to Dumbarton. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm fairly sure that route 7 goes through Bowling - it'll at least get you within the right area.

From Dales, head south and the west when you get to the north bank of the Clyde to pick up route 75.

See Sustrans map (pdf) for an overview.

Also, check Sustran's on-line mappingfor a more detailed route (it wouldn't load for me, something about updating mapping).

Or, if you're not familiar with Glasgow, you should be able to pick up a copy of...

glasgowcyclemap1.jpg(£4.95)

... from Dales while you're there.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    Given that you will be on your road bike and going for a reasonably long run you might be better heading north on the A879 from Port Dundas near Dales, to Bardowie and Strathblane then cutting over to Balloch from Croftamie. The sustrans cycle route is canal path a lot of the way.
  • boyfriday
    boyfriday Posts: 103
    ralex wrote:
    Given that you will be on your road bike and going for a reasonably long run you might be better heading north on the A879 from Port Dundas near Dales, to Bardowie and Strathblane then cutting over to Balloch from Croftamie. The sustrans cycle route is canal path a lot of the way.

Thumbs up for that route - the road through Croftamie is very pleasant (a little rutted at parts) but it's a lovely cycle. Then once you leave Balloch, turn off the A82 (i think) asap at the first possible opportunity at Arden and take the old Glen Fruin Road over to Faslane, and then alongside Loch Long (i think) to Arrochar, and up to Tarbet.

I wouldn't recommend staying on the main A82 to Tarbet for very long at all if you are riding solo (if that was the plan).
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    +1 for heading out to Glen Fruin. there is some great riding around there, much more interesting than sticking to Loch Lomondside.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• moray_gub
    Ok guys thanks for your suggestions i know that road to Strathblane so i think i will go up there take the road over Glen Fruin. I have cycled on the A82 (very busy at certain points) and A814 before but not been over that Fruin road. All i need now is some decent weather.

thanks
    MG
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    ===I wouldn't recommend staying on the main A82 to Tarbet for very long at all if you are riding solo (if that was the plan).===

I am planning to use the A83/A819/A85 fom clachan to inverawe soon( on route from Dunoon to Oban). Is that stretch reasonably nice to cycle?
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • moray_gub
    edited May 2009
    priory wrote:
    ===I wouldn't recommend staying on the main A82 to Tarbet for very long at all if you are riding solo (if that was the plan).===

I am planning to use the A83/A819/A85 fom clachan to inverawe soon( on route from Dunoon to Oban). Is that stretch reasonably nice to cycle?

Thanks for the Glen Fruin tip guys really enjoyed that stretch of the road couldnt get off the A82 quick enough.

As for your route the A 83 from Clachan along side Loch Fyne is nice and not too busy, good climb out of Inverary and then the descent takes you to the north tip of Loch Awe again not much traffic and great views of the castle on your left ,

the next stretch of road towards Oban the A85 is really busy at times but again scenic especially around Taynuilt and when Loch Etive comes into view. a good days cycling with some fantastic scenery and if you get a good day as i did when i was last up there youll enjoy
  • priory
    thanks for the info.

Are the Scottish schools on holiday between 6/6/9 and 13/6/9?
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

• Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Nope. The next Scottish school holidays will start the 1st week in July.
  • priory
    excellent