SRAM

BIGplumberon2wheels
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
I took my newly aquired bike back to Halfords today as the SRAM geears were not adjusted correctly, I read some blogs that lead me to believe not many Halford mechanics were up to this job.
Well Having taken the bike in , I was told it would be 10 mins. fair enough I will look around the shop, anyway 25 Mins later and 3 customers later the mechanic started on mine.
I got closer to watch and he seemed to just be pedaling ( in bike stand) and operated the gears badly. No adjustments were made.
Another customer walks in and from out the rear appears the Chief Mechanic/ Manager the 1st mechainc said he had adusted it and it only needed fine tuning (Hmmm) me thinks not.
Anyway luckily for me I guess Chief Mechanic adjusted it tried it many times front and rear and back again, under some load scenario also.
It seems fine but it could have been a different story.
(C Boardman Team Carbon)
Anyone Close?

Comments

• madandybell
    madandybell Posts: 148
    I had the same problem, when I picked mine up from Halfords in Huddersfield they guy just said "I've never seen this SRAM stuff before, was a right bitch"!!!

None the less it was straight round to my local bike shop, on collection I was told the gears were way out, brake calipers were loose and the real wheel had a couple of loose spokes (known prob apparantly) He sorted all out for £20.

It rides like a dream now and I love every minute being on it!!

If you've got a spare £40ish knocking about I'd reccomend getting a good LBS to take a look and also get yourself a charge spoon saddle. I got one and it made the bike so much more comfortable, the boardman saddles are crap!!!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I dont know how SRAM works really, or any other really :oops: But are you sure he wasn't "fine tuning" the derailleurs :?: :?

If it seems fine now what's the big problem?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SRAM stuff is junk,

On about my 6th ride on my SRAM Red equipped bike I had to replace a SRAM Red shifter that stopped working. They wanted to charge me 275 quid for a replacement as they said it "Wasn't covered by the warranty". I managed to get a new pair for £317 so I have a spare.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    SRAM stuff is junk,

On about my 6th ride on my SRAM Red equipped bike I had to replace a SRAM Red shifter that stopped working. They wanted to charge me 275 quid for a replacement as they said it "Wasn't covered by the warranty". I managed to get a new pair for £317 so I have a spare.

SRAM mixed a trick (or did they :wink:) when they failed to engineer shifters that would survive high speed crashes. My Chorus shifters are a right mess after all my crashes, but functionally they are still perfect.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, they still shifted (badly) and the brake levers worked but didn't return properly... Gutted!

Otherwise I love it! Would like to try campy but it would mean wheel fettling and none-use of powertap on bike that has it...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Otherwise I love it! Would like to try campy but it would mean wheel fettling and none-use of powertap on bike that has it...

Campag10 shifts pretty well on a 10spd Shim/SRAM cassette - Dan ran Record on his Bontrager wheels and it seemed to work fine. So you could use the power tap :idea:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Thought about that... Get old record/chorus 10...

(sounds of clockwork...)