Focus Black Forest 2009

GSDog
GSDog Posts: 129
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
I got this bike on Friday and I am absolutely loving it!

Before I bought the bike I found it difficult to find any pics or reviews of it so I thought I'd post a few pics here for the benefit of anyone interested in the bike.
It does look much nicer in the flesh than on Wiggles website.

The only thing I am changing on the bike is the pedals which are pretty standard. I am buying some Wellgo MG1's which should arrive tomorrow. :)

I have added the image link above each image so you can view it in full size too.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2heipvq.jpg
2heipvq.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/9rhqmu.jpg
9rhqmu.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/o5b24m.jpg
o5b24m.jpg

Comments

• Thanks.

Considering this bike but having the same problem as you - No pictures available.

Have you got any of the cockpit and front and back angles?

Cheers.
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    looks to clean for me :P get some mud on it :twisted:
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • GSDog
    looks to clean for me :P get some mud on it :twisted:

You should have seen it at the weekend. :D
    Thanks.

Considering this bike but having the same problem as you - No pictures available.

Have you got any of the cockpit and front and back angles?

Cheers.

Sure, just took a few more. Let me know if you want any others.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33k9ixe.jpg
    33k9ixe.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/jtxo61.jpg
    jtxo61.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/209hndj.jpg
    209hndj.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2cokfhe.jpg
    2cokfhe.jpg
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    love this bike, wish by luck i hadn't bought mine, still with time my bike will age and another bike will come along
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • xtexterx
    xtexterx Posts: 35
    im sooo glad mine is on order :) cant wait
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    nice bike mate, i'm interested in getting some race kings; what do they ride like?

r
  • GSDog
    rwalworth wrote:
    nice bike mate, i'm interested in getting some race kings; what do they ride like?

r

They are light and very fast with surprisingly good grip too except in really muddy conditions. I will definitely be keeping them. :)
  • rwalworth
    rwalworth Posts: 176
    Thanks for the quick reply, yeh i just ordered a pair of folding ones only needed that little push.

r
  • GSDog, where abouts you live in kent? want to go on a ride?
    nice bike by the way, i have a focus as well.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • GSDog
    GSDog, where abouts you live in kent? want to go on a ride?
    nice bike by the way, i have a focus as well.

Thanks.
    I live just outside Tunbridge Wells.

I'd love to go for a ride sometime but right now I am incredibly unfit as I'm recovering from a long term illness. I've only just started cycling after a 6 year break (mainly because of the illness) and I can literally only cycle a few miles right now before I collapse in a heap :D .
    When I get a bit fitter I will definitely be contacting some local people and meet up for rides.

I only live about 3 miles from PORC and 15 miles from Bedgebury so I'm quite lucky. :)
  • same here i am incredibly unfit as well, but unfortunately i live too far away i live right at the other end of Kent.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    Im also looking at getting one of these - seems like a lot of bike for the money
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Are the forks just the RL version without the remote lockout lever? ...Why are they black instead of white - is this just an OEM thing? Just asking because the Fox 32-F 100 RL forks are white and have a remote lockout lever!

So what I don't get is why have an RL model fork but not use the RL? Are you sure they are definatley Fox 32-F 100 RL?
  • GSDog
    Are the forks just the RL version without the remote lockout lever? ...Why are they black instead of white - is this just an OEM thing? Just asking because the Fox 32-F 100 RL forks are white and have a remote lockout lever!

So what I don't get is why have an RL model fork but not use the RL? Are you sure they are definatley Fox 32-F 100 RL?

Yeah, there was a bit of confusion about the spec if you read this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... t&start=20

I am sure they are 32-F 100 RL forks but they don't come with the remote lockout lever. They say "32", "F-Series" and "RL" on the fork.
  • misterdun
    misterdun Posts: 91
    I have just ordered this bike and queried which fork would be supplied. I spoke to the person building it in the workshop who confirmed it is a 32-F100RL but are black and don't have remote lock-out, he thought they are probably OEM and not available for purchase seprately. Does this mean they aren't made by Fox or are all their products like this? Still seems a good deal though?
  • nby
    nby Posts: 62
    very nice 8), I previously had my heart set on an '08 focus fatboy but couldnt get stock from wiggle in the end bah

alot bike for the money must be huge amounts of fun .. now just go out and get it dirty :wink:
    fury 'n' i
  • misterdun
    misterdun Posts: 91
    If you check out some of the £1000+ Scott hardtails on Evans Cycles they are fitted with these forks.
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 315

As far as I know RL means Rebound and Lockout, not remote lockout. If they were R they would just have rebound adjust.
  • mikey0303
    just ordered one today - cant wait for it to arrive!
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • mikey0303
    currently having a rethink after seeing a Trek 6700 :roll:

Im just so decisive
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I've just recievd one of these bikes, but unfortunately there is damage to the forks. Looks like a transit problem where the forks have constantly rubbed against the inside of the box, and the areas are down to bare metal.

Going to have to send the bike back. The one I received had the 'LX' crakset, by the way!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • GSDog
    I've just recievd one of these bikes, but unfortunately there is damage to the forks. Looks like a transit problem where the forks have constantly rubbed against the inside of the box, and the areas are down to bare metal.

Going to have to send the bike back. The one I received had the 'LX' crakset, by the way!

Damn! Mine also had that problem but it's barely noticeable. How bad is it?
    You can just about see the bare metal on the forks in pic #3.
    I think it is a transit problem and I hope Wiggle are aware of it now.

EDIT: I sent Wiggle an email about it and they replied with this;
    We are aware of this issue with the packaging and the damage to the forks on the Black Forest paint work. We are taking the necessary action to ensure this does not happen in the future and again would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know.

So it looks like they know about the problem and it shouldn't happen again.
  • WilkoTE
    WilkoTE Posts: 6
    Glad they have addressed this. Ordered mine on Wednesday, just hope they took the necessary precautions when packaging mine on Thursday, to send out to me. Will take a detailed look at this when it arrives on Monday.

Cheers for the heads-up, GSDog. :)
  • Johnny Napalm
    Damn! Mine also had that problem but it's barely noticeable. How bad is it?

Mine is very bad.

They have also assured me that they are dealing with this problem, and all credit to them, they are going to arrange to collect it and bring a replacement. As soon as I saw the damage, I re-packed the bike, and emailed them...to which they responded immediately.

Because of the damage, I didn't even ride the bike, I just re-packed it. However, they have suggested that I try the bike, and if it's a good fit, they will start the '7 day trial' from yesterday, and will send me a replacement if I am happy with the fit.
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • flatfive
    flatfive Posts: 1
    I got one on order too, the fork is fitted to the Scott Scale 20 amongst others and that bike sells for just under £2500. Fork gets a really good review on the Scale 30 here http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -08--28523.

Focus seems a bargain, good frame and other bits too.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    fox have always had a reputation for a not so durable finish on the forks, if thats all that it is then i would try to get them to give you 50quid off for a scratched fork rather than send it back, seems like a waste of time to me especially if it is still working100%. who is to say you would not scratch the forks the first time you ride it!! its a mountainbike ffs!!
    who cares?
  • Johnny Napalm
    who is to say you would not scratch the forks the first time you ride it!! its a mountainbike ffs!!

'Tis a true statement, but I want to be the one who scratches it. Call me silly, but when I'm paying out hard earned cash for something new, then I expect it to be delivered in a new condition. There is no excuse for packing something of that value in such a carefree way...especially after people have informed them of this shipping problem previously.

The first day I rode my new 'Marin', I came off and scratched the thing, but that's because I use it for what it is intended for...off-road riding. That, and I'm also useless! :wink: I look after my 'Marin', but it has numerous scratches, chips etc., but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, because it gets used!

Not that I want to fall off, but personally I find it's better to get the thing scratched at an early stage...and get it over and done with.

I've sent it (Focus) back, and I will receive a replacement next week. If that one exhibits the same problem, then I will have to go the voucher way at that point, or do without because I've got the last 'small'!
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • jabeez
    jabeez Posts: 3
    Frame looks awesome. How I dream about a pair of Fox forks!

I've got an '08 fatboy and love it to bits. I had to put riser bars on it (bent the old ones in a huge crash), WTB saddle and some oxblood red V8's. Just need a fork upgrade - it's got Dart 2's and they are rubbish. I fancy some Reba's I think. Focus bikes are excellent value.
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Considering one of these myself
  • GSDog
    snip

Have you got the replacement yet Johnny?