New ideas to extend my ride at Swinley....

CrazySmudge
CrazySmudge Posts: 137
edited June 2009 in Routes
Happy Monday everyone

Need ideas to extend my ride at Swinley and not keep going around again and again - gets bit dull.

Anybody can add ideas and may help others as there are so many routes yet to be discovered.

Key

BW - Bridal Way
< Left
> Right

Okay sorry if this boring or to long. Start - leave look out car park and up the straight path that goes past go ape. Take > on to smaller path (not Major BW) after 500m go > onto single track and over 2 small streams. Take < onto BW and take > at cross roads. up a hill and take < through woods up small twisty hill then over the top and down steep slope. Take a < onto BW and up a hill again and take > on to nice single track (reservoir on your left) for less than 1 km, past sign and narrow rooty gap and green bench on corner of wood, take > onto BW then across to on smaller path which takes you to great technical area on the corner of woods - few drops and climbs. Corner of wood path goes down stoney path (anybody lost now?) up a short steep rootie climb through woods take a < go straight across BW and into woods - takes you back to green bench and rootie gap. Take > down path (watch out for big puddle) up hill cross gravely path and onto tank track, - take > on BW then < onto next tank tracks. End up on concrete square. Straight across then > back on to tank tracks - great fun < on to BW. Up a hill - drain in the middle of road. Can turn < around a great large loop which takes take back to that same spot or go > then quickly > before the steep slope. Have a go or past the half pipe and straight across BW then up hill take < to path and round > corner to reservoir. Take bridal way, along sandy path, down steep hill and climb up "the wall". Down the baby maker, deer stalker etc and then back to the car park - dull long BW.

Okay ideas....

Sorry if anybody is confused

Al

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Some good down hills on your left afterwall but before the club house (top of BM and deer Stalker)

There is also some interestind stuff around butter hill
  • CrazySmudge
    where/ what is butter hill?
  • anjs
    bottom of the woods near devils highway. If you are feeling brave them there is an old motorcross trail with some serious jumps
  • anjs
    Could also have a ride around Harry Potter world for the next couple of months
  • CrazySmudge
    now you just taking the michael - harry potter world??
  • anjs
    Have a look on youtube. Just about to start filming the next installment there
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Why not join BOB MBC, the club who build the trails in Swinley?? They'll show you all the good bits, not just in Swinley, but in the surrounding area.

http://www.bobmbc.com/
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • CrazySmudge
    already a member - joined last week

waiting to go on first ride with them

but thought I would get ideas from everyone
  • anjs wrote:
    Have a look on youtube. Just about to start filming the next installment there

so thats what they were doin!!
    I thought they were building the world biggest wallride or something!
  • Stumpy Ade
    Stumpy Ade Posts: 81
    I was there the other day and there was about 20 blokes picking out all the green ferns, because it would clash :shock:

To OP when you get to concrete square ( lower star post ) take 1st left then after 200m ish turn left into a nice trail with a north shore bridge. When you come out turn right down fire trail after 500m ish turn left into trail that takes you to tank trap 2

pm me if not clear.
  • Stumpy Ade
    Ah forgot, when you get to garden bench turn right down fire trail turn left after about 500m into single track this trail goes on for quite a while and crosses fire rd about 3 times. When you come out at the top of a hill, turn into trail on left, do corkscrew, then a little bomb hole. this then takes you to the begining of tank trap.

A bit complicated but worthwhile and easy to find once you've done it.
  • CrazySmudge
    hey stumpy

cracking advice - found the north shore bridge - had a great ride Saturday morning - couldnt find your 2nd suggestion though. I am at the green bench - I know there is a lovely single track behind it but where are you suggesting I go?
  • Stumpy Ade
    Nice, it's really good at the moment.

The second one is a bit complicated to explain but here goes.

If you stand at the green bench with your left foot on it, you will be looking at a t junction.
    You can however go strainght on through a gap in the hedge. Really long single track, think this is the one you are talking about.

If you turn left down the fire rd for about 500m ish keep your eyes open on the left for a trail. This goes on for about a km. It brings you out at a fire rd t-junction, between straight on (steep downhill) and left there is an well worn entrance into the woods, follow this to Corkscrew (nice).

When you finish corkscrew turn left, this will take you to a lttle bombhole (for want of a better word) which is good for messing about on.

From there you can either turn left to take you back to the green bench which will then be on your left, or you can go straight on down a v fast hill with some rooty jumps if you follow this it'll take you towards the start of the Tank trap trail.

If you want, pm me with your email and I will forward a garmin gps map, provided you don't take the p1ss out of my sluggish speed and ludicrously high heart rate. :lol:
  • heihei
    heihei Posts: 61
    Out of interest, anyone know why the area of trails East of the resevoir are currently fenced off?
  • anjs
    Was this last night? I think tuesday night might be trail maintance night by BOB
  • heihei
    Yes - last night. Didn't see any trail pixies, but was clearly blocking a trail area. Signage was polite so we complied!
  • anjs
    which trails? Could also be due to the filming
  • heihei
    With your back to the resevoir on the track that leads to the labyrinth the ones straight in front of you.
  • anjs
    Well there is a big stage being built down the bottom there so my guess is its all Harry Potters fault
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont know names of anywhere but I head out of car park to right of lookout and up the track toward where HP is filming, just after the film set I go right onto singletrack that leads out toward ceasars camp, cut through hedge (rooty little step thing between two trees, right on fireroad, left after maybe 300m singletrack round to open hill side facing west, down little drop off, up narrow gravel climb and either left or rigth to get you back toward camp and open heather area via down then up - right at top follow fence path along, up that hill then short u loop in trees onto path running by main road up to gate back into swinley proper - right onto the well prepared BOB tracks that lead eventually to the gun emplacement and star post (possibly) - from there middle track to trails running to corkscrew up to top of hill with the big raised drain cover and from there either right past dirt jumps and up to reservoir or left heading back toward lookout via more purpose built BOB tracks.

That should be no use to anyone!

I always just look for bike tracks in the dirt and follow them if I am looking for new stuff! Get lost and have fun!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lethar G
    Lethar G Posts: 23
    I always manage to get lost going round Swinley.... after a while at least, I know a bit of the trails (no idea on names though)

Managed to link a few bits up, but could do with a guided tour really!

I'm there most Sundays, so if anyone fancies a ride around give me a pm!

I'll probably be there about 9-10ish.
  • Stumpy Ade
    I've found a way to extend your ride !

Pop into the Golden Retriever, that extended mine by nearly 2 hours :lol: