To SPD or not to SPD?

JonasTheHobbit
JonasTheHobbit Posts: 119
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
So i did my first ever run at Dalby forest (was an education!!!) on a Trek 3900. i came off twice and more than once did my feet slip off the pedals.

I am reluctant to switch to SPD's as my old man was on them at Dalby this weekend, where i came off twice (bruised knee and ego!) he came off once! All be it he came off and snapped a ligament in his shoulder because he could not bail like i did!

So

Do i think about SPD's or do i get better flats and maybe decent shoes?

Comments

• Kelster3000
    Kelster3000 Posts: 27
    I really like them, and makes much, much lighter work of pedaling, it took a while for me to remember to unclip especially when you stop suddenly, and I had the bruises to prove it but I would not look back now, especially when I worked out how to losen the grip of the pedals!
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I love them, bruises and all.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tell your Dad to practice his unclipping.

I have uncliped and jumped over my bars once. and for those that have met me know that would have been some feat. but it was that or get hurt badly.

PS I know run flats on the DH bike. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Dont swap to SPD if you are haveing your feet slip over the peddals.....
    stick with flats and learn how to move and angle your feet correctly to controll the bike under you. Once you have that down move to SPD for the power advantage.

( on a side note if you found you where loseing grip on that long bumpy drag that looks like it needs attention about 3/4 of hte way round on the red That is a pain to peddle along on with flats and if that was the only section then head over to SPD and see if you like them.)
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I've been using SPDs for about 6 years now. I remember my initial experience with them somewhat offputting. Out of the box SPDs tend to be wound in and can be tricky to unclip from. My advice is to losen them off as much as possible and then tighten them up so you get a good balance. ie, you can kick out easily and still keep the advantage of being 'tied' to the bike.

Make sure you have plenty of lube/grease on the pedal and on the cleat.

I was in Tal y Bont last week and hit a rock, the bike stopped dead but I managed to unclip as easily as I could with normal pedals. My mate still uses toe clips which is mad as you can 't move your feet forward if you suddenly stop.

I recommend them if you are an XCer and once you are used to them you won't go back.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Dont swap to SPD if you are haveing your feet slip over the peddals.....
    stick with flats and learn how to move and angle your feet correctly to controll the bike under you. Once you have that down move to SPD for the power advantage.

( on a side note if you found you where loseing grip on that long bumpy drag that looks like it needs attention about 3/4 of hte way round on the red That is a pain to peddle along on with flats and if that was the only section then head over to SPD and see if you like them.)

That, and the climbs, was the reason I swapped to SPDs, Really rocky downhills made my feet bounce off the pedals so I had to take them really slowly, too slowly, in fact. Speed is, after all, your friend!
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 friends at work are SPD converts and trying to pursuade me to follow them, its just the initial outlay thats a bit offputting (shoes + new pedals) so I've decided to get a bit fitter and happy with my riding arrangements first. They both said the same as the above, get the tension right so it twists out easily yet holds secure on a pull as it should.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Do i think about SPD's or do i get better flats and maybe decent shoes?
    I like SPDs and they are great for climbing and spinning but I don't think they do me any favours on slow technical terrain. I use the multi-release cleats so I can get out ASAP but even so they have been the cause of several stupid low-speed tumbles that wouldn't have happened with flats.
  • I've been using them about nine months and love them. Interestingly I'm noticebly faster on rocky downhill sections, in fact fast enough to be more stable, which I wasn't before.

Not had a comedy fall off either.............................................. yet.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • KernowCB
    KernowCB Posts: 174
    i've just started using mine and have definately seen an advantage in terms of speed both up and down rocky/wet/rooty terrain. However, i am still very anxious when i use mine as i need lots more practice of unclipping in an emergency.
    Whyte 905
  • cjms85
    cjms85 Posts: 24
    After trying out my friend's bike with SPDs and despite coming off and putting a hole in my kneecap, I too have converted to SPDs.

In fact I just got mine this weekend (a pair of Shimano Deore XTs) and did a 114 mile training ride yesterday. The certainly made a huge difference when it came to going up hills, and the route was pretty hilly, about 1800m of vertical climb over the course of the ride.

As for unclipping in emergencies, the best thing you can do is to set them to their losest setting, and then when you become more competent start tigheting them up, maybe 90º each ride to see where the sweet spot is for you. Ultimately its worth realising that you will come off at somepoint, and chances are it will be completely unavoidable because some idiot pulls out infront of you etc. But that said the benefits easily out weight the costs, so long as you don't go falling off near any precipices or into an oncoming juggernaught!

Chris