RPCC Ride - Sat 23rd / Sun 24th / Mon 25th

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Get in - another Bank Holiday weekend! 8)

Having not ridden AT ALL last weekend I'm once again itching to ride! Saturday will be the CCC for me (see the other thread on this), but I might be up for something gentle on Sun and/or Mon so will be keeping a beady eye on this thread too...

So, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start is most likely,
although keep an eye out as earlier starts seem to be happening now
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
As ever I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! We seem to have seen a new face almost every week so it'd be good if that continued! :D

A collection point at Hampton Court will most likely be on the cards as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you plan to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is actually about this weekend and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Hi Rich,

Is there going to be a ride scheduled for Saturday? If not, Sunday sounds good to me :-) Came out a fortnight ago and enjoyed the ride, though my climbing legs got left in the car :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Hi Rich,

Is there going to be a ride scheduled for Saturday? If not, Sunday sounds good to me :-) Came out a fortnight ago and enjoyed the ride, though my climbing legs got left in the car :-)
    See here for the CCC ride on Sat, but there's nothing stopping others doing a separate ride on Sat if you want to stick to the Surrey Hills. With any luck someone with good knowledge of the area will stick around for a normal RPCC ride 8)
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Hi Rich,

See here for the CCC ride on Sat, but there's nothing stopping others doing a separate ride on Sat if you want to stick to the Surrey Hills. With any luck someone with good knowledge of the area will stick around for a normal RPCC ride 8)

Undecided about CCC (and only because its the missus' final weekend in London before she heads back to Canada for a holiday) but the route on Bikely looks alright at 90km each way from RP. If I don't do that, I will probably do Surrey as I desperately need hill work anyway. I rode the King of the Down(pours)s yesterday and realised I am getting stronger on the flats but not on the uphill. Although given how my Garmin behaved at yesterday's KOTD I hold no responsibility if I am to be group leader of that one :)
  • Rich-Ti
    All a bit quiet over here on the normal weekly thread! Is everyone doing the CCC?!
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    I'd like to d some riding next weekend, but it's still a bit too early for me...

My abused finger (from KOTD sportive) is still in recovery.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Definitely up for this and am easy on which day - I vote that we're led by the weather. This could be the first trip out for the new steed as well - one that I've built myself - so be prepared for more mechanicals than normal :lol:

And with you lot, that's saying something...
  • jrduquemin
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    All a bit quiet over here on the normal weekly thread! Is everyone doing the CCC?!

I won't be doing the CCC, but would lilke to get out over the weekend for a spin. It depends what the general concensus is regarding which day is preferred.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    Blimey, never known an RPCC thread not hit at least 3 pages! :cry::lol:

I'm still planning to head out on Monday if anyone's about - PM me if you want my number 8)

Anyone heading out tomorrow? No news from Felgen or any of the other 'usual suspects' (London-Red aside!), where are you all hiding?!

Hope you all manage to get out for some decent riding folks - the weather's looking ripe for it! 8)
  • J09
    I'm doing a short test ride today because of my finger, later I'll write if I'm ok for saturday or not. Any way, if I do ride, I'll do something shorter than CCC, but might start with you guys and then turn around.
  • J09
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

I won't be doing the CCC, but would lilke to get out over the weekend for a spin. It depends what the general concensus is regarding which day is preferred.

Are you ok with a 8:00 start with the bunch and an earlier finish or should we just go for a 9:00 start?
  • Rich-Ti
    J09 wrote:
    Are you ok with a 8:00 start with the bunch and an earlier finish or should we just go for a 9:00 start?
    You're welcome to join us for the 8am start and then peel off when you feel like you've had enough. Or maybe do the whole southern leg with us then get the train back from Brighton? Just a thought... 8)
  • Berns12
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    J09 wrote:
    You're welcome to join us for the 8am start and then peel off when you feel like you've had enough. Or maybe do the whole southern leg with us then get the train back from Brighton? Just a thought... 8)

I am gunning for an 8am start and going to attempt to ride the full course and hopefully my Garmin will be mapped correctly and may peel off and do hill work if I feel I don't have the legs to do it all the way.

Jorge, and Jul, I may end up joining both of you for the shorter run! Jorge, hope your finger is alright now...are you up for the Mayflyer next weekend?
  • jrduquemin
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    J09 wrote:

I could do an 8am start tomorrow. If we were to peel off and head back, my only concern is finding my way back to Richmond as I don't know Surrey that well.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Berns12
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    J09 wrote:

I could do an 8am start tomorrow. If we were to peel off and head back, my only concern is finding my way back to Richmond as I don't know Surrey that well.

I may peel off with you...if I do I will have a Garmin. Also I think judging from the posts above Jorge is coming and may peel off, and he too has GPS and will get you home :) Otherwise there is always British Rail :)
  • jrduquemin
    Berns12 wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    J09 wrote:

I may peel off with you...if I do I will have a Garmin. Also I think judging from the posts above Jorge is coming and may peel off, and he too has GPS and will get you home :) Otherwise there is always British Rail :)

If you're considering some hill work on the way back, i might join you. Judging by my performance the other weekend, I could seriously do with hitting the hills for a bit... 8am it is then I believe :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • J09
    8:00 it is. I'll go until my either my finger says stop or my late lunch gets to close.
  • jrduquemin
    See you guys in the morning then :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Sorry no speaky from me - I am on call this wekeend, and I have volunteered for a 3 day Orthopaedi-fest as it gives me an extra leave day in lieu for later in the year. In fact the last time I got on the road bike was in Australia 10 days ago :shock: which is unprecedented. I am aching to have a pop at the RP 3 lap challenge, but I need to be fresh and have resonable conditions...

I hope all rides were fun - one thing our threads always lack is piccies, as it is always nice to see what people got out and what they got up to. Perhaps it could become a thread rule that someone posts photos.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    one thing our threads always lack is piccies, as it is always nice to see what people got out and what they got up to. Perhaps it could become a thread rule that someone posts photos.
    Good shout James - there's been a couple of rides where I've attempted 'rolling shots' on my iPhone but the camera just isn't up to it. I hope to get my hands on a robust / waterproof / shockproof compact camera that I can stick in a jersey pocket and not worry about dropping / sweating over / falling off onto!

Yesterday is a prime example - such a long ride and such a shame not to have captured anything other than the cake! :roll: :lol:
  • Rich-Ti
    Right, Guinness hit wasn't too heavy tonight so I'm planning a short & sweet Surrey HIlls jaunt tomorrow I think 8)

At the moment I'll set off when I feel like it, but if others register interest early enough then it could become a more structured 10am / 11am start (the latter being my preference!) easily enough.

Keep me posted :D
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    felgen wrote:
    the last time I got on the road bike was in Australia 10 days ago :shock: which is unprecedented
    I finally couldn't stand it any longer, so I took to roadie out for a quick spin last night... only to Kingston and back (20 minutes), but over Kingston Hill for a bit of a workout. It seems so fast to ride the road bike after the commuter I forgot how fast the new wheels are- I really must get out on it more in fact I really must have another go at the RP 3 lap challenge... maybe this week on evening...
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB