Castle Ride Yesterday

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
Hi folks,

I did the Castle Ride 100 miler yesterday and the reportcard is similar to the King of the Downs, lots and lots of punctures and tough weather conditions. Well run event though, generally good signage and plentiful food stops.

Does anyone have a record of mileage and climbing distance? Maybe it was the conditions but the route turned out to be hillier and tougher than I anticipated.

Comments

• Zygite
    Zygite Posts: 142
    It was my first 100 miler and the weather was foul. Was happy with 7hrs 23mins.

My bike computer showed 167 metric bananas at the end. Had to wait at Tonbridge Castle for a friend who came in 2hrs after me-he found me lapsing into hyperthermia...

A good days ride - well signed and good food. Never seen so many punctures though. Not sure what to do now I've achieved my ambition for the year...
    Cycle killer? Qu'est ce que c'est?
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    Road Red wrote:
    Hi folks,

I did the Castle Ride 100 miler yesterday and the reportcard is similar to the King of the Downs, lots and lots of punctures and tough weather conditions. Well run event though, generally good signage and plentiful food stops.

Does anyone have a record of mileage and climbing distance? Maybe it was the conditions but the route turned out to be hillier and tougher than I anticipated.

very well run, i agree. shame about the weather. gusting to force 8 is a bit much really... My gamin made it 103 miles & 7017 feet of climbing which I reckon is enough to begetting on with in the conditions.
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Thanks guys. Glad my Cateye wasn't telling me porkies on the distance.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Weather almost ruined it for me. The rain was so demotivating. Having said that I was within 7 hours. Can't tell how much climbing was involved but it turned out to be a lot more than I was expecting.

There were lots of punctures in the first 30 or so miles. For a while I saw a couple punctures being repaired around every corner. Couldn't believe it. Seemed to be a lot of MTBs as well, I doubt they all finished though. Witnessed a few distressed phone calls being made when the rain was coming down hard, lol.
    Shazam !!