hes got a point

markwalker
markwalker Posts: 953
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Went to a race yesterday and there was a guy (one of the riders) complaining to the organisers about the inclusion of 2nd cat riders in a 3/4 j w race. It also included some junior riders who were easy 1st cats based on points.

There was a e12 race immediately afterwards.

The commisair seemed happy with it but i could see the guy questioning this had a point. Im not one to avoid competition but im not an elite, 1st or 2nd cat because a, i dont train anymore, b am overweight c im getting to be a bit of an old git. I race 2 or 3 times a month and like to get stuck in and thats why rankings based loosley on ability (yes there are anonamlies) suit a lot of people.

Juniors fine, adults why waste your time, if you want to race race at your level or not at all.

I think the bloke that complained got blown out before the fininsh anyway.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Where was the race ? Far as I know the organiser has bent the BC technical regs for road racing there - the regs state quite clearly that juniors race with their own ability category too - so a 2nd cat junior shouldn't be in a 3/4 any more than a 2nd cat senior.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Seems pretty normal for the UK. Would be next to unheard of here. And when cats are run together like that, they typically get scored separately. Why would a 2 want to ride with 3s and 4s though? $$?
  • acorn_user wrote:
    Why would a 2 want to ride with 3s and 4s though? $$?

Because they get smashed by the 1st and Elite riders and want an easy ride?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Was it not a case that they may have been 3rds when they entered the race 2 months ago, but have subsequently achieved a higher category. If that is the case then they are allowed to ride.
    If they were trying to EOL as 2nds then that is obviously wrong and the organiser should have told them to sling their hook.
  • I always the thought the ruling was that if you went up a category after the closing date for entries (which always was 3 weeks before a road race and one week before a crit) then you could ride and win prizes but did not get the points.
    If you go up a category before the closing date then you have to withdraw your entry and enter a race at the appropriate category.